Lego Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 16 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • high stress and lack of work life balance even here (in 7 reviews)

• No full time work available as a merchandiser (in 11 reviews)

1. "you get to play with lego! no seriously for real you do!"

Pros

Great management, great co-workers, lego sells it self you just need to be able to talk to customers be chatty and fun and be yourself, really fun place to work. Best part is you get an hour to play with Lego it is part of your job to be inviting and get children to interact and build things in the play area.

Cons

This company has no cons, they are really good and simple people to work with.

Advice to Management

none.

2. "Food & Beverage Assistant"

Pros

Option to work lots of hours

Cons

zero hour contract are not suitable some times

3. "Can be great fun, if you work in the right area"

Former Employee - Attractions Assistant in Windsor, South East England, England
    Former Employee - Attractions Assistant in Windsor, South East England, England

I worked at Lego Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working in attractions means you're outdoors in the summer weather
    The staff tend to get on very well with eachother

Cons

Guests will undoubtedly let off steam at you on occasion
    Payroll is done one month in lieu so you may wait a long time for your first pay cheque
    Very very poor progression

Advice to Management

Keep your radios on, when you're needed you're needed quickly.

5. "Legoland Windsor- Fun until management changed."

Current Employee - Attractions Assistant in Windsor, South West England, England

I have been working at Lego Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Worked for Legoland Windsor for 3+ years.Was a great way of earning money and running around outside on your weekend.

- Got a Merlin pass with 20 free entries for you/ friends
    - Flexi hours
    - Fun whilst it lasted
    - Fun with the correct team leaders
    - Got to enjoy the fireworks if you had a shift through the show

Cons

- After team leaders in my area changed the atmosphere did too. The team leaders in my last year were very lazy and spent their day in the office on Facebook or walking aimlessly around the park in a big group having a chat instead of working.

- If you had a situation which required a manager to resolve or calm down they would take ages to arrive infuriating customers even more and inturn making life difficult for all involved.

- A 0 hour contract meant that if too many people turned up for the day you could be sent home either shortly after arriving for you shift or at lunch time.

- This also meant that in the afternoon although busy you could end up with a shortage of staff due to the unestimation of management in the morning.

- Long term weekend staff weren't allowed the oppurtunity to get qualified on rides to operate them and come new season as Team Leaders didnt want the fuss of doing the paperwork and so instead of allowing qualified veteran weekend staff to get qualified- full time new people were given tests -most of which they knew nothing about or even after "passing" the test didnt know how to operate the ride. Leaving the technically unqualified veteran to run the show.

- Many more instances where Teamleaders made life hard and so ended up quitting- shame as it was such a lovely place to work and the customers and kids were always more than happy!

Advice to Management

Check up on your team leaders- make sure they are not on facebook or aimlessly wondering the park and actually doing their jobs!

Allow people who have worked on certain rides for more than a year to take a refresher test instead of the full questionnaire again. Whether full time or part time this should be the case- allowing then to teach new people whilst also opperating the ride safely.

Guarentee if you have turned up for your shift you will not be sent home.

6. "Average"

Pros

English speaking is the business language

Cons

Danish centric is the main

"Overworked, underpaid, unappreciated"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Lego Group full-time

Pros

I liked my team of staff members

Cons

Very corporate, you are vastly underpaid for the work you are expected to do (especially with the mystery shopper) and were always being talked down to. The work was very uninspiring yet we were expected to be 110% smiles and enthusiasm even though we were being paid minimum wage. We were expected to try to worship senior management if they ever came in, even though they did not appreciate the work we did. We were all cheated out of Christmas bonuses too. Disgusting management. The worst work place I've ever had the joy of experiencing. LEGO store has a dark side. Within my 6 months I worked there, the entire team I started with had left. That says it all.

Advice to Management

Care about your staff. Saying things like "we've brought the christmas temps in to be used and abused" is not a way to make me feel like you are the type of person I want to work hard for. We do not care about senior management as unlike you, our pay is not dependent on their happiness. And don't cheat your staff out of Christmas bonus pay. It's just unethical.

8. "Nice first permanent role"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I worked at Lego Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very people-focused company, with a great product that people are genuinely enthusiastic about. Guidance around how to progress at the company was very clear.

Cons

Too much travel, low salary. My team was transferred to a different locale, but as everybody left the UK, they didn't hire anymore headcount, so we were left to pick up the pieces with little support.

Advice to Management

Ensure stronger integration of teams that need to work alongside one another.

9. "Started off great, but getting more & more corporate."

Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Brighton, England
    Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Brighton, England

I worked at Lego Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, every customer is excited to be there so it's a pleasure to serve them. Great, friendly team that I miss. Pleasant shop to be in, clean & fun job. Always a pleasure selling Lego, you can get excited about the product!

Cons

The pay really isn't enough for what we were expected to do as laid out by our secret shopper visits. Every single customer had to be treated, not like humans, but by asking them as many 'by the book' questions as possible. We would have to stay late to fill the shelves - sometimes until 9.30pm. Management was steadily getting more & more corporate & less about the values of Lego, and the customers would be aware of this. Lots of elements were made in China at a cheaper cost, and a worse quality (like the keyrings) - rather than the motto 'only the best is good enough'. There was no way we would be allowed to personalise the shop at all to make it nicer for customers / i.e: having a 'staff builds' display, or Brighton-related displays. Began to feel like our shop had been left behind to make way for new shops to open.

Advice to Management

Go back to 'only the best being good enough', no more trying to cut costs by getting elements made cheaper elsewhere. The beauty of Lego when I started was that it came from the great factory in Billund.

10. "Very Employee Centric"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I worked at Lego Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very employee centric
    Lots of development opportunities, if you get time!
    Exciting times with the Global Agenda
    Strong total reward (salary, benefits and bonus)

Cons

Need to be more mindful of communication from CM, core messages can be lost in the downward cascade.
    Face needs to fit if you want progress
    Diversity, what exactly is the strategy, promoting employees into senior roles when they are not ready to meet targets.
    Some employees are allowed to get away with very poor behaviour

Advice to Management

They should do a better job at achievements.

11. "A company struggling between being a kid's dream and a big business"

I worked at Lego Group (More than a year)

Pros

Working with THAT brand behind you makes the company a pretty special place to be - most of the employees genuinely care about LEGO and its customers which makes for a very positive working environment, though I'd echo what one of the other reviews has said that if you hate the stuff it's probably not the place for you...
    The company is also very open internally about its projects and plans.

Cons

The company's high growth recently has led to more pressure on every area of the business, which are not always equipped to deal effectively with it. The management structure, especially in the retail arm of the company, has led to a few people far removed from the 'action' holding a lot of decision-making power with largely incompetent middle managers beneath them, so trying to get anything major achieved can be incredibly frustrating. Low employee turnover (while generally a good thing) makes progression within the company almost impossible. Pay & benefits (in the UK at least) is also poor - the love for the company held by most employees is taken advantage of hugely in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Don't get greedy now the business is doing well. Major changes in structure are needed in retail for the business to continue growing at its current rate for much longer.