Lego Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 16 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • high stress and lack of work life balance even here (in 7 reviews)

• No full time work available as a merchandiser (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great"

Pros

I go back to legoland year after year as I love working here! There is loads of variety within every working day as no two days are the same; all the staff are very helpful for new staff and are always willing to go the extra mile to ensure you feel welcome in the park; there is a great amount of opportunities available to staff in terms of training and getting involved in social activities!

Cons

At legoland you will need to be willing to work long hours and part time contracts are all set to 0 hours which is useful for flexible work but can sometimes make it hard to pick up extra part time work

Advice to Management

I love working at the park, it's a very enjoyable and friendly environment with loads of opportunities available to staff! I wouldn't change anything currently in place apart from enabling staff to hear more about decisions from senior management

"Working for LEGO doesn't really feel like work as LEGO bricks are keeping you company all the time :)"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Lego Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, lovely colleagues, cool products, crazy Minifigures etc.

Cons

I'm working for LEGO customer services in Slough. The biggest challenge is dealing with customers that were unlucky with an online purchase for LEGO sets. Especially when a LEGO set is sold out or wasn't delivered on time for their child's upcoming birthday due to miscommunication.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! :)

"Strong brand but bad place to work (only slough office though)"

Former Employee - Online Marketing Executive in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I worked at Lego Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have your own children or relatives with children, then all of the sudden you feel loved.

Cons

No proper senior management. Very young managers sitting in UK office with no knowledge on people management.

Advice to Management

Look closely what is happening in that small office.

5. "Fun, but not something to do forever"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I worked at Lego Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people there are fun and people are really encourage to be good colleagues. We were always allowed to build while on the phone with customers, and we loved it and so did the people we spoke to. LEGO is such a great brand, and the senior management team trust reps to make decisions. Many of the reps also hold university degrees.They were very accommodating to my personal circumstances.

Cons

Need to meet targets, when I left they started to move the focus away from quality and focus on quantity

6. "Fantastic perks, don't expect it to be easy."

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Lego Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic 30% in store discount, paired with a 50% online discount. Members past probation in the UK can apply for four Legoland gold passes or two regular merlin passes. Permanent staff also receive Christmas presents - a specially made set for the staff that year, and a gift hamper. [based on 2011/2012]
    You have a lot of Lego's resources to work with, so you are more often than not able to help a customer in ways you wouldn't normally expect in retail. Good return policy, customer service hotlines, a strong brand behind you.
    Regular customers are lovely, and you can often relax and build a rapport with people, and always push for a good experience before a sale.
    Staff are fun, laid back people. It's a good team to be a part of.

Cons

You aren't paid very much above minimum wage. At all.
    You will be working hard. A lot is required of you, and customers wont be impressed with a casual product knowledge. If you're not already a Lego nut, you will be.
    You are scheduled to be in various parts of the store at set times in the day, often if a manager is rota'd to be on shop floor, they'll decide to work in the back room (or watch youtube videos instead) so you may need to cover multiple areas on shop floor.
    You are assessed in a variety of ways, mystery shoppers, online feedback surveys - although doing well is often rewarded.
    You can get quite a lot of difficult customers, especially around Christmas time, who ask the impossible, some of which have been known to leave bad online feedback, knowing how much it can damage staff.
    Time off needs to be booked upwards of 4 weeks in advance. You can automatically be given extra shifts in holiday periods without notice, so book off time, even if you don't think you'll be scheduled to work anyway.
    Be careful around management. They don't always do things by the book, but that doesn't mean they think it's okay from employees.

Advice to Management

Don't think people don't know what you do.

7. "A Fun place to work"

Current Employee - CONSUMER ADVISOR in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Lego Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

LEGO is very well respected brand and lots of people have a special connection with it, so the vast majority of people getting in touch with us are very friendly and just want to chat about their passion and are curious for what the future will bring.

Cons

You need to be able to respect people's fascination with all things LEGO. If you keep on thinking 'grow up, it's just a toy!', then this place is gonna get on your nerves after a while!

As with any job in the UK, the salary is rather low.

Advice to Management

Expand the business to Eastern Europe

8. "Getting paid to play"

Current Employee - Model Builder in Enfield, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Model Builder in Enfield, CT (US)

I have been working at Lego Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discounts and benefits packages

Cons

Leadership makes most decisions behind closed doors.

Advice to Management

Be more open a stick to the company's culture

9. "LEGO"

Current Employee - Manager in Nyíregyháza (Hungary)
    Current Employee - Manager in Nyíregyháza (Hungary)

I have been working at Lego Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and good workplace.

Cons

Frustrating top management, slow processes and management decisions

Advice to Management

be fast and skip the bureaucracy

10. "Retail woes, wonderful company"

Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Lynnwood, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Lynnwood, WA (US)

I worked at Lego Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, exceptional management, enthusiastic training and development, new LEGO sets rolling in all the time, happy kids and happy parents, creative opportunities, building display LEGO sets, massive discount on personal purchases.

Cons

LOUD, terrible technical support, the common woes of retail sales (occasional irate customers, shoplifting, poor wages), limited available hours, unpleasant lighting inducing headaches (typical mall problems), traffic.

Advice to Management

Paying careful attention to the uniquenesses of your staff, offering competitive incentives as well as team-win bonuses, pushing toward tangible goals (in sales as well as ratings, cleanliness, and mystery shopper scores), and a conversational approach to personnel development and training made my managers AWESOME.

11. "Worked As Brick Specialist"

I worked at Lego Group part-time

Pros

Warm community, a good place to work

Cons

Can be strict sometimes on schedule