Lego Group Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Lego Group CEO Jørgen Vig Knudstorp
Jørgen Vig Knudstorp

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • high stress and lack of work life balance even here (in 7 reviews)

• No full time work available as a merchandiser (in 11 reviews)

"Worked at Lego store"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Lego Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good atmosphere to work in.
    - Working there will help you come out of your shell if you're a shy person.
    - You get proper training on how to be customer focused.
    - You get to play with Lego all day everyday.
    - Work days can be really good if you're with the right people.

Cons

- The pay isn't worth the amount of work that is expected of you, especially that your work and efforts are not really recognised.
    - Excessively increased hours even if you only intended to work part time so your work life balance can get thrown off.

Advice to Management

Put people where they are their strongest e.g if people are good at being on the shop floor, don't keep putting them at the back to do deliveries and vice versa.

"Awkward."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I have been working at Lego Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent, above minimum wage.
    You get some really lovely customers upon occasion.
    Discount is good, if you're into that kind of thing.

Cons

Online training is unnecessarily long and pointless.
    Very clique-y.
    Parents don't control their children and you end up feeling like a childminder. Parents left their kids in store for HOURS without supervision.
    Say they promote individuality etc, but you don't get to express your own personality as a staff member.
    Ridiculous policies and scripts to follow.
    Awkward tension at all times between staff.
    My manager in particular was really offensive and rude.

Advice to Management

Don't look down on people. Let people play to their strengths.

3. "Sales associate"

Current Contractor - Sales Associate in London, England
    Current Contractor - Sales Associate in London, England

I have been working at Lego Group as a contractor

Pros

- Majority of customer interactions are great
    - creative and engaging product
    - great opportunities if you fit the very narrow personal requirements

Cons

Incredibly unorganised and unstructured; one individual in senior management (UK) operates as judge, juror and excutioner in all decisions and procedure.
    - patronising and derogatory treatment of staff in retail, most of which filters down from above.
    - no trust of staff, excessive micro-management
    - office politics always come first; majority of management are quite immature and immoral.
    - lack of diversity
    - poor team values
    - you feel incredibly isolated as an employee

Advice to Management

Add additional managment at numerous levels to combat the dictator-esque style of decision making.

5. "Irreplaceable experience"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Liverpool, England
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Lego Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ The discount, which is up to 50%. I need not say any more!

+ You're the face of the biggest toy company in the world, which is an amazing responsibility. The values and culture are textbook stuff.

+ You get to play with children and interact with nice families; often making their day with things that you take for granted.

+ Open, positive company that continually strives for ambitious goals.

+ Lovely Christmas gifts, with one of them being an employee-only model.

+ Opportunity to visit other areas of the company; providing you and/or your store does well.

+ You get to share your own passion with colleagues and customers.

+ Events are sometimes held for customers.

+ Pension scheme.

Cons

- Customers pour the blame on you for; missing bricks in products, gift cards that have been lost, purchasing a model that was too difficult for the child, duplicate gifts, and plenty more. The holidays bring all manner of brain-dead idiots who want their money back for half-built, incomplete, torn products when little Johnny didn't want it anymore (for another 100 reasons).

- Often unsociable work-hours, with weekends a guarantee once you're full time.

- Despite a guaranteed pay rise each year, you begin at minimum wage and earn an extra 10 pence thereafter. The pay and the work itself simply do not add up, and this company has no excuses given their vast revenues.

- Tricky career ladder. The only opportunities in the U.K are retail, admin and one education office.

- Massively high expectations in the 'best' (scored) stores. If you make a mistake, you'll know about it...

- Off-peak times (when the kids are in school) can be a real drag; especially Monday-Friday.

With the exception of the first point, most of these cons can be attributed to all retail jobs, so don't take it for granted that only LEGO stores are like this.

Like any retail job, being with LEGO has its up and downs, but the experience is unforgettable. You will have learned so much in your time and raised your own expectations for how a store should be run. I recommend it if either you want to progress through the retail ladder, or you're just looking to earn some money for a year or two outside of studies.

Advice to Management

Although the atmosphere can be fun, senior management have a tendency to be patronising. Again, this is unique to retail and not just The LEGO Group.

"Overworked, underpaid, unappreciated"

I worked at Lego Group full-time

Pros

I liked my team of staff members

Cons

Very corporate, you are vastly underpaid for the work you are expected to do (especially with the mystery shopper) and were always being talked down to. The work was very uninspiring yet we were expected to be 110% smiles and enthusiasm even though we were being paid minimum wage. We were expected to try to worship senior management if they ever came in, even though they did not appreciate the work we did. We were all cheated out of Christmas bonuses too. Disgusting management. The worst work place I've ever had the joy of experiencing. LEGO store has a dark side. Within my 6 months I worked there, the entire team I started with had left. That says it all.

Advice to Management

Care about your staff. Saying things like "we've brought the christmas temps in to be used and abused" is not a way to make me feel like you are the type of person I want to work hard for. We do not care about senior management as unlike you, our pay is not dependent on their happiness. And don't cheat your staff out of Christmas bonus pay. It's just unethical.

7. "Best Experience Ever"

Former Contractor - Sales Associate in London, England
    Former Contractor - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Lego Group as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

*Interaction with all ages
    *In store play
    *Being the face of Lego
    *Staff become a Lego family
    *Meet all sorts of interesting people that love Lego xD

Cons

For me personally no Cons Just wished there was more days of the week for me to work there when i did haha xD

Advice to Management

I don't think management need any advice they should just keep doing what they are doing to create the best Lego experience xD

8. "Fantastic perks, don't expect it to be easy."

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Lego Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic 30% in store discount, paired with a 50% online discount. Members past probation in the UK can apply for four Legoland gold passes or two regular merlin passes. Permanent staff also receive Christmas presents - a specially made set for the staff that year, and a gift hamper. [based on 2011/2012]
    You have a lot of Lego's resources to work with, so you are more often than not able to help a customer in ways you wouldn't normally expect in retail. Good return policy, customer service hotlines, a strong brand behind you.
    Regular customers are lovely, and you can often relax and build a rapport with people, and always push for a good experience before a sale.
    Staff are fun, laid back people. It's a good team to be a part of.

Cons

You aren't paid very much above minimum wage. At all.
    You will be working hard. A lot is required of you, and customers wont be impressed with a casual product knowledge. If you're not already a Lego nut, you will be.
    You are scheduled to be in various parts of the store at set times in the day, often if a manager is rota'd to be on shop floor, they'll decide to work in the back room (or watch youtube videos instead) so you may need to cover multiple areas on shop floor.
    You are assessed in a variety of ways, mystery shoppers, online feedback surveys - although doing well is often rewarded.
    You can get quite a lot of difficult customers, especially around Christmas time, who ask the impossible, some of which have been known to leave bad online feedback, knowing how much it can damage staff.
    Time off needs to be booked upwards of 4 weeks in advance. You can automatically be given extra shifts in holiday periods without notice, so book off time, even if you don't think you'll be scheduled to work anyway.
    Be careful around management. They don't always do things by the book, but that doesn't mean they think it's okay from employees.

Advice to Management

Don't think people don't know what you do.

9. "Store employee"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Lego Group (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, awesome discount, and potential for bonuses.

Cons

Customers that expected more than we can give them.

10. "Great part time job for college"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Lego Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easygoing atmosphere, good Christmas bonuses, occasionally received product.

Cons

Low pay, employees pushed to have customers complete surveys.

"Sales Associate position review"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Lego Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good Management
    -Flexible Schedules
    -Good Work enviroment

Cons

-Limited Hours(25hrs per week)
    -No Benefits