Lego Group Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.7
Lego Group CEO Jørgen Vig Knudstorp
Jørgen Vig Knudstorp

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people and work-life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Flexible hours, potentially fun work environment (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • high stress and lack of work life balance even here (in 7 reviews)

• No full time work available as a merchandiser (in 12 reviews)

1. "Slightly enjoyable, however very tiring"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Lego Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment
    Great working as a team

Cons

Very hardworking (some people view this as a good thing, however I thought it was too much - too strict)
    Management could be quite rude and snappy

"Great in theory, appalling in practise..."

I worked at Lego Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This could be the perfect part-time retail job if everything worked better - it's lively and fun, the products are great and the customers are mostly nice and interesting. Generally, the other sales associates were absolutely lovely too, and I've made some really good friends through working here.

The company values are good in theory, but not in practise. It has potential to be a really enjoyable role, but unfortunately this isn't the case at the store I worked for.

Cons

The way the staff are managed and treated is absolutely awful. This is not just towards myself (I feel as if I got off quite lightly...), but seeing my friends and colleagues being blatantly discriminated against for no apparent reason made me feel uncomfortable working there. Different people were allowed different things, with the managers having their obvious 'favourites' who got the best jobs, whilst others would be landed with the difficult shifts and tasks.

The general way in which things worked here made it difficult to stand unless you know ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING about every product and were hyper-passionate about working at the store despite only being paid the same as any other retail job. The management put way too much pressure on the staff and this results in a stupidly high amount of people leaving.

Advice to Management

Value each individual as a person rather than purely a body that is disposable and easy to replace. Realise that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that actually a difference in opinion is a GOOD thing. The huge focus on NPS is damaging and really unnecessary - there's no way that this can be a true representation of how the store is doing and it is unfair to judge the sales associates on this.

The stores need to be run in terms of the real world rather than the cloud cuckoo land that the managers seem to live in.

"Don't listen to the 20th July review. The reality for at least 1 London store for 95% of us follows."

I worked at Lego Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product is fab so it's really easy to be enthusiastic about what you're selling. The job itself can be a lot more fun than most retail jobs. Management has an eye for interesting and fun people (who they suck out dry of life but later in cons) so the social element can be quite good.

Cons

Where to even start? The main con is the management and everything they do really. They use low hour contracts to destabilise and punish people and manipulate behaviour. Not for justifiable reasons, reasons like you said their workshops are boring and you get nothing out of them. If you want people to be stimulated by the workshops and meetings you deliver, improve your material. Many people are not zombies.

Management pick like 4 people they really like because they kiss their behind and clearly sugarcoat how awful and useless they are at their jobs. The rest of you who can't pretend are doomed. Double standards are the only dependable standard for these people.

One of the most insulting things is management pretend how important they are, or forget how small their stores are or that it definitely is mostly just a job, especially that people do part time. We go home and carry on with our lives, and go be human elsewhere. Not allowed at Lego Retail. Instead of being honest that you're probably pursuing something else, but can lend your skills and develop some new ones at a job you mostly have to make money, they want you to act like they cure cancer and are at the forefront of world politics. You are just lucky to be in their presence.

I could write a book for this section, but don't trust the positive review. You may be of the 5 people lucky enough to be treated like a human with skills and talents like that person. If you're not willing to pretend that Lego Retail is not the be all end all of life, good luck. Also to management who will read this, pretending like corporate are "jealous" of retail is a JOKE. Someone working for core Lego group would never swap places with a retail job in a million years. (yep, they actually try to sell this to you - that someone with job stability and better benefits would rather be you haha)

Advice to Management

I would change the management to people with empathy, a grip on reality and business and management savvy altogether. I realise most of these people are probably doing better things than retail management though, so that's a tall order.

"Awkward."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I have been working at Lego Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent, above minimum wage.
    You get some really lovely customers upon occasion.
    Discount is good, if you're into that kind of thing.

Cons

Online training is unnecessarily long and pointless.
    Very clique-y.
    Parents don't control their children and you end up feeling like a childminder. Parents left their kids in store for HOURS without supervision.
    Say they promote individuality etc, but you don't get to express your own personality as a staff member.
    Ridiculous policies and scripts to follow.
    Awkward tension at all times between staff.
    My manager in particular was really offensive and rude.

Advice to Management

Don't look down on people. Let people play to their strengths.

"Worked at Lego store"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Lego Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good atmosphere to work in.
    - Working there will help you come out of your shell if you're a shy person.
    - You get proper training on how to be customer focused.
    - You get to play with Lego all day everyday.
    - Work days can be really good if you're with the right people.

Cons

- The pay isn't worth the amount of work that is expected of you, especially that your work and efforts are not really recognised.
    - Excessively increased hours even if you only intended to work part time so your work life balance can get thrown off.

Advice to Management

Put people where they are their strongest e.g if people are good at being on the shop floor, don't keep putting them at the back to do deliveries and vice versa.

7. "Sales associate"

Current Contractor - Sales Associate in London, England
    Current Contractor - Sales Associate in London, England

I have been working at Lego Group as a contractor

Pros

- Majority of customer interactions are great
    - creative and engaging product
    - great opportunities if you fit the very narrow personal requirements

Cons

Incredibly unorganised and unstructured; one individual in senior management (UK) operates as judge, juror and excutioner in all decisions and procedure.
    - patronising and derogatory treatment of staff in retail, most of which filters down from above.
    - no trust of staff, excessive micro-management
    - office politics always come first; majority of management are quite immature and immoral.
    - lack of diversity
    - poor team values
    - you feel incredibly isolated as an employee

Advice to Management

Add additional managment at numerous levels to combat the dictator-esque style of decision making.

8. "Irreplaceable experience"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Liverpool, England
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Lego Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ The discount, which is up to 50%. I need not say any more!

+ You're the face of the biggest toy company in the world, which is an amazing responsibility. The values and culture are textbook stuff.

+ You get to play with children and interact with nice families; often making their day with things that you take for granted.

+ Open, positive company that continually strives for ambitious goals.

+ Lovely Christmas gifts, with one of them being an employee-only model.

+ Opportunity to visit other areas of the company; providing you and/or your store does well.

+ You get to share your own passion with colleagues and customers.

+ Events are sometimes held for customers.

+ Pension scheme.

Cons

- Customers pour the blame on you for; missing bricks in products, gift cards that have been lost, purchasing a model that was too difficult for the child, duplicate gifts, and plenty more. The holidays bring all manner of brain-dead idiots who want their money back for half-built, incomplete, torn products when little Johnny didn't want it anymore (for another 100 reasons).

- Often unsociable work-hours, with weekends a guarantee once you're full time.

- Despite a guaranteed pay rise each year, you begin at minimum wage and earn an extra 10 pence thereafter. The pay and the work itself simply do not add up, and this company has no excuses given their vast revenues.

- Tricky career ladder. The only opportunities in the U.K are retail, admin and one education office.

- Massively high expectations in the 'best' (scored) stores. If you make a mistake, you'll know about it...

- Off-peak times (when the kids are in school) can be a real drag; especially Monday-Friday.

With the exception of the first point, most of these cons can be attributed to all retail jobs, so don't take it for granted that only LEGO stores are like this.

Like any retail job, being with LEGO has its up and downs, but the experience is unforgettable. You will have learned so much in your time and raised your own expectations for how a store should be run. I recommend it if either you want to progress through the retail ladder, or you're just looking to earn some money for a year or two outside of studies.

Advice to Management

Although the atmosphere can be fun, senior management have a tendency to be patronising. Again, this is unique to retail and not just The LEGO Group.

"Overworked, underpaid, unappreciated"

I worked at Lego Group full-time

Pros

I liked my team of staff members

Cons

Very corporate, you are vastly underpaid for the work you are expected to do (especially with the mystery shopper) and were always being talked down to. The work was very uninspiring yet we were expected to be 110% smiles and enthusiasm even though we were being paid minimum wage. We were expected to try to worship senior management if they ever came in, even though they did not appreciate the work we did. We were all cheated out of Christmas bonuses too. Disgusting management. The worst work place I've ever had the joy of experiencing. LEGO store has a dark side. Within my 6 months I worked there, the entire team I started with had left. That says it all.

Advice to Management

Care about your staff. Saying things like "we've brought the christmas temps in to be used and abused" is not a way to make me feel like you are the type of person I want to work hard for. We do not care about senior management as unlike you, our pay is not dependent on their happiness. And don't cheat your staff out of Christmas bonus pay. It's just unethical.

10. "Best Experience Ever"

Former Contractor - Sales Associate in London, England
    Former Contractor - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Lego Group as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

*Interaction with all ages
    *In store play
    *Being the face of Lego
    *Staff become a Lego family
    *Meet all sorts of interesting people that love Lego xD

Cons

For me personally no Cons Just wished there was more days of the week for me to work there when i did haha xD

Advice to Management

I don't think management need any advice they should just keep doing what they are doing to create the best Lego experience xD

11. "Fantastic perks, don't expect it to be easy."

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Lego Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic 30% in store discount, paired with a 50% online discount. Members past probation in the UK can apply for four Legoland gold passes or two regular merlin passes. Permanent staff also receive Christmas presents - a specially made set for the staff that year, and a gift hamper. [based on 2011/2012]
    You have a lot of Lego's resources to work with, so you are more often than not able to help a customer in ways you wouldn't normally expect in retail. Good return policy, customer service hotlines, a strong brand behind you.
    Regular customers are lovely, and you can often relax and build a rapport with people, and always push for a good experience before a sale.
    Staff are fun, laid back people. It's a good team to be a part of.

Cons

You aren't paid very much above minimum wage. At all.
    You will be working hard. A lot is required of you, and customers wont be impressed with a casual product knowledge. If you're not already a Lego nut, you will be.
    You are scheduled to be in various parts of the store at set times in the day, often if a manager is rota'd to be on shop floor, they'll decide to work in the back room (or watch youtube videos instead) so you may need to cover multiple areas on shop floor.
    You are assessed in a variety of ways, mystery shoppers, online feedback surveys - although doing well is often rewarded.
    You can get quite a lot of difficult customers, especially around Christmas time, who ask the impossible, some of which have been known to leave bad online feedback, knowing how much it can damage staff.
    Time off needs to be booked upwards of 4 weeks in advance. You can automatically be given extra shifts in holiday periods without notice, so book off time, even if you don't think you'll be scheduled to work anyway.
    Be careful around management. They don't always do things by the book, but that doesn't mean they think it's okay from employees.

Advice to Management

Don't think people don't know what you do.