Leonard Cheshire Employee Reviews about "head office"

Updated 16 May 2018

Leonard Cheshire Chairman Sally Davis (no image)
Sally Davis
Pros
Cons
  • "Head Office have no clue about how services/run work(in 6 reviews)

• " pay no (in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "head office"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Head Office have no clue"

I have been working at Leonard Cheshire part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Home is great. Excellent staff.

Cons

Communication is the worst I’ve ever experienced. Head Office have no clue about how services/run work.

Continue reading

"Worked in head office in London"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Leonard Cheshire full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most people are so friendly and great to work with - people really go the extra mile. It's an inspirational place to work, the programmes and services they deliver to people are great. The pension, health scheme and discount scheme is good too.

Cons

Sadly, lots. The learning and development is awful, which I think has led to very poor management in head office. There's lots of talk of honesty and transparency but in practice I rarely saw this. There are a couple of fantastic leaders who genuinely want to improve things and treat people fairly - the head of HR being one. But others are ruthless and shouldn't be in the charity sector. Also no sick pay is appalling, especially when it's a disability charity!

Continue reading

3. "Great carers! Rubbish management"

1.0
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Leonard Cheshire for more than 3 years

Pros

Helping to promote the independence of disabled adults and helping to try to break down barriers put up by people

Cons

Lack of communication, no thanks, treated like rubbish, no gratitude for care staff, higher members of staff i.e. Activities coordinators paid big bucks for using volunteers but volunteer coordinators who are in a team leader position not paid for the work and effort they put in, people in head office making decisions when they've never done a shift on the floor in their working careers

Continue reading

"Great cause but a few flaws."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Leonard Cheshire full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great cause, lovely people. Go home at the end of the day feeling like you've done something positive.

Cons

Poor personal development opportunities. Shocking sickness policy - for a disability charity it's ridiculous. Also the maternity policy is equally bad. Outdated expectation that being at your desk 9-5pm is the best way to work. Huge disconnect between head office and services. Very little trust in senior management - many people feel uncertain.

Leonard Cheshire Response

May 4, 2017HR projects Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time write a review of Leonard Cheshire. We have taken note of your feedback. Going forward, the new CEO (who has been in place for approximately 7 months) has recently launched a new business strategy along with a new People strategy. Both look at improving the way we work both as a business but also as an employer. Our new people strategy is driven by our mission to be the best in what we do and to achieve this we believe we have a truly compelling offer for individual’s interested in being part of our Leonard Cheshire team

"Sleepy giant held back by poor leadership"

I worked at Leonard Cheshire full-time

Pros

Leonard Cheshire has the potential to be a leading charity – its care homes offer fantastic support and its head office has attracted a plethora of enthusiastic and talented professionals with a firm belief in the charity’s mission. The recent departure of the CEO will open new opportunities for the charity but a strong appointment is needed to fix the culture created by their predecessor.

Cons

Sadly, poor leadership at the very top has turned a charity with the potential to thrive into a revolving door of wasted opportunity – with the majority of staff at its head office failing to reach their second anniversary before moving on. Under the recently departed CEO, decision making was ad-hoc, enforced without explanation and unchallengeable, often leading to unnecessary stress piled on staff because the chief executive had quite simply changed her mind. On many occasions an entire project would be scrapped or altered at implementation stage because the Chief Executive changed approach in the final hour. This created a hierarchical working environment with a heavy blame culture – staff worth is based on seniority rather than experience and knowledge of your subject is often irrelevant in a group meeting if someone more senior – in a different team – has an opinion on your area of specialty. The average turn over at head office is one in four per anum. In a two-year period, the entire board of directors resigned and were replaced – with some director positions replaced twice. If longevity is not a concern for you then there are some positives of working at the charity – you will forge relationships with other passionate third sector professionals and there are some reasonable benefits available to head office staff – including a good pension scheme and a subsidised private health scheme. However – be aware that the Leonard Cheshire has a very poor sick pay policy and this won’t be explained to you prior to accepting the job.

6. "Some good opportunities but turbulence in senior management and a lack of quality leadership"

in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Leonard Cheshire

Pros

Pay is better than many comparable organisations, at least in head office. Sheer size of the organisation offers some scope for new opportunities.

Cons

Overly political in many parts of the organisation. Lack of quality leadership. Some people don't take the work as seriously as they should.

7. "Would not recommend"

I worked at Leonard Cheshire full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay in head office. This is probably a good place to work if you are middle class, university educated and do not have a disability. If one did not meet these criteria, I doubt that they would have a positive experience of their employment here.

Cons

No paid sick leave - at a disability charity, this is atrocious Insufficient processes in place to deal with staff requiring long-term leave due to health or disability related issues Staff members with very poor understanding of disability allowed to manage interns and part-time staff with disabilities with little oversight Insufficient training for senior management in disability and health issues Huge disconnect between head office and services. Senior members of staff in head office are well aware of issues in services but there is no political will to address them Paucity of diversity in recruitment Very few training and development opportunities Workplace bullying goes unaddressed Very high staff turnover, likely due to all of the above.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 7 reviews