Liberty IT Employee Reviews about "lit"

Updated Sep 29, 2020

Found 7 of over 111 reviews

3.8
Liberty IT Managing Director William Hamilton
William Hamilton
Pros
  • "There is a good work life balance(in 18 reviews)

• "Flexible working hours and location(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "LIT has been a very stable software shop for a long time(in 5 reviews)

• "The Dublin office needs more talent to feel like an independent entity from the Belfast office(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

The latest conversations about Tech

213 Comments

Tech

80.8K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Liberty IT~352834
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "lit"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Contractor, more than 5 years

Excellent Place To Work

Sep 29, 2020 - Software Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee friendly organisation, colleagues are cooperative and user latest cutting edge technologies and always open to accept ideas

Cons

More work can be managed by LIT Belfast/Dublin, but for some reason over few years, more work is going back to Liberty Mutual @ US and to the Vendors of LM.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee

Horrible Place to Work

Nov 5, 2019 - Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Honestly don't think of any. If you are lucky you will be in good projects where you can learn something.

Cons

Highly political company. Micromanagement and favoritism. There is no single rule for everyone here, all the options change depends on your manager, team and how well you play here. I have been under horrible managers who never care about you. HR asks for feedback, but nothing changes here. HR blames the managers and vice versa while coming to promotions, you have to play victim role. They keep change something constantly, started first with four pillars, once they were collapsed immediately moved to LIT 2.0, then HPE. Not sure which trend they are following now. Too much show off about everything, paid articles on social media. They spend too much money on promoting this sinking ship. All the buzzwords they use is absolute nonsense like it’s a silicon valley. Heard some of them are: WIGs, KCCR, BAMs, what a load of rubbish. You are just a below average IT wing as part of an insurance company. See the amount of negative reviews here, loads of talented people left this horrible company. I seriously doubt the five star reviews here as they don’t make any sense. I know they have asked to write few positive reviews in the past while I was working. The funniest part here is people write blogs about everything starting from ‘how to turn off your computer’ to ‘how write another blog’. I also have seen people who don’t code and write blogs to tell others ‘how you actually code’ and taking credit for others’ work. That’s their job and they get promote to principals and Technologists. People who actually deliver stuff stay as software engineers for years and some of them stay in fear of opening the mouth. If you question them, then you be will blacklisted and you’re done here. This company is only for few people who can play politics or if you have your own group in the company. There are still a lot of talented developers who can’t move out of the company, probably planning to retire here. I sincerely feel sorry for them. No respect for the employees. As mentioned in few of the reviews you will be constantly told how to think like you are a school kid. Very bad managers, you can clearly see favoritism everywhere in this company. Only few people get into shiny projects, get highly projected everywhere like they only invented everything. They only keep getting awards and promotions. Rest just settle with legacy code, fighting for promotions. After sometime you feel you’re as worthless. There are alot of serious problems in this company. I couldn’t sustain here anymore so had to leave and trust me the feeling of relaxation when I was out, like I was walking out of a jail. And I have seen alot of difference at my current workplace where you don't have to dealt with all these kind of nonsense and you are truly valued. The main focus here is just on ‘Great place to work’ survey which is again a big joke, loads of meetings to discuss that crap. They keep pester you to write good reviews and track down if you write something negative. The pay is less again, very least in Belfast market, oh and the pay rise.. it's another great thing to discuss, just a couple of hundred pounds that too if you’re lucky. WHAT A GREAT PLACE TO WORK

14 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Liberty Mutual's best kept secret

Dec 21, 2017 - Principal Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people in LIT are its biggest asset. Family/friendly feel to most teams. Lots of talented engineers with varying backgrounds and specialisms. In all my teams the team leadership has been hard working and always have the best interests of the team and developers at heart. Delivery Leads are becoming more technical and driving higher performing teams and development practices. Teams are having more say and autonomy in most spaces. This is leading to teams developing in lots of different ways, training innovation contribution, certifications etc. The technology is evolving and varied. There are opportunities for most specialties if you want to pursue them. There is a strong technical community full of energy and passion. Our developers are also running and organising a lot of the wider community meetups with the support of LIT. The company also does within reason look out for the health and well being of their employees, gyms, fitness classes etc. (except for fitting card readers to the vending machine :)) Social committee is great and a great way to meet people from other parts of the company.

Cons

LIT has been a very stable software shop for a long time. However like most other similar technical organisations LIT and its parent organisation Liberty Mutual is embracing the impacts of 'Agile transformation'. This I think most will agree is a necessary pain. However, it has not been a positive experience for some teams and individuals this year, especially where this has been driven through changes in the parent organisation. The changes for certain teams and individuals has been significant in terms of origin v outcome. The changes have settled somewhat towards the end of the year and teams are beginning to refocus on what they do best. However I believe the organisation is still learning and adapting to work in the fashion they aspire to. LIT (I personally want to believe) is genuinely trying to learn how to adapt and modernise its management structures and how it attracts modern challenging projects. During this change, mistakes may have been made and the progress at times appearing unnecessarily slow, but I think (overall) the intention of the changes have been well intentioned around hardening the LIT organisation for a rapidly evolving industry. I think some of the approaches to dealing with poor performance are not fit for purpose. This can affect morale for developers and leads in the small amount of cases where it does occur. Insurance is insurance. Although the technical side of the work is in a lot of cases engaging and interesting we are normally removed from the end-usage of the systems we build due to our remoteness. Though this has begun to change in recent years.

2 people found this review helpful

Managing Director

Your review was insightful and I’d like to say thank you for taking the time to give us this constructive feedback. I have said it many times before but truly it is our people that make Liberty IT great; people like you. I will keep your comments in mind as we move into 2018. Best wishes, Willie.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place for a career in IT.

Nov 21, 2017 - Principal Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Ive been working at LIT for over 6 years now and I would have to say most days I really enjoy coming into work (no joke). As a developer, who wouldn't want the opportunity to work on exciting projects and work in an environment were you are encouraged and enabled to innovate? Below are some of the reasons why I believe LIT is great place to work. - Career opportunities (very possible to fly up the grades quickly) - Talent and hard work is rewarded - Flexible working from home arrangements - Modern Technologies - React/Angular, Java (Spring Boot), AWS, Graph QL - Training/ leading conferences opportunities - First class offices with great equipment (Mac Book Pros) and modern office space - Projects are mostly all Agile based - Company is always actively trying to improve and listens to feedback from employees - Benefits are great - FREE COFFEE, healthcare, pension, flextime, good holidays, subsidized social events every month - Travel opportunities (I have been to Australia ,Boston, Portsmouth NH, London) - Short term secondment opportunities. LIT covered my cost for my voluntary 3 month secondment to Portsmouth NH with my family (I paid for my family)

Cons

- Base Salary could be improved compared to other companies in Belfast - Working with teams in other timezones can mean that you may have early or late evening meetings, more so when you become senior

Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to write a review; I thoroughly enjoyed reading your views on LIT and will take your advice to management on board. People like you are what makes Liberty IT a success and we are always keen to invest in people who demonstrate the dedication and commitment whether that’s through promotions, development opportunities or US secondments. Best wishes, Willie

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

It's a Kindergarten. Extremely disappointing!

Oct 9, 2017 - Senior Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working from home (yet very limited - depends on manager - it's not easy and straightforward - you can work in US project with guys in US working from home full-time and when you ask: "Can I WFH?" you will get a lot of gibberish from your manager - than you have to be in the office to be "visible" etc.). Travelling to the USA (if you like) Looks good in your CV Good for inexperienced people (graduates) - you will get training Very average pay and benefits (basically not bad, not good). Overall, it is not a real IT company. It's a good start for people with absolutely no experience who are happy to do simple tasks and not complain. If you like to do very little and get ice-creams for every single simple thing then yes - that's a good place to work.

Cons

It is a corporation (go and watch Silicon Valley - it's basically Hooli) No real management (there are obviously managers here but...) Red tape, a lot of red tape. Politics and double standards. Simple, basic projects with either out-dated technology (plenty of legacy code) or over-engineered for no reason. A few project nicknames (given by senior leadership - they can motivate people, can't they): "Technology Graveyard", "Sewage", "Minor Sewage" etc.. You will feel so proud to work in these awesome projects! No career opportunities - there are special people with special careers and there is the rest (again double standards). Brainwashing. Let's start with recruitment process: there is no coding test, you will get a random set of questions (copied and pasted from the Internet). Once you get in, you most likely going to end up in a random place (which may or may not be suited for you ). You may be a programmer with obviously no interests and no knowledge about infrastructure and you can ended up... in server support. Front-end developers are asked to do back-end tasks and vice versa. There is no talent management. You can also join a project that is just approaching its end (management and everyone knows about it), there is no funding, no work, the team is going to be disband soon. You will end up watching online training for weeks with no plans what to do with you. No one is responsible for anything. On the other hand, you may be lucky and join a good project - but there is no guarantee and the "good" projects are scarce. Loads of lies: you will be told about how things are great, you'll get a lot of empty promises, how awesome is the company, you will get brainwashed - so from the outside it looks to be a good place to work - this is only a facade, artificial image created by poor management. Projects are badly managed, no one really tracks your skills or career needs. There are projects with basically no work. People there are sitting writing one line of code in 2, 3 weeks time waiting for another "great" opportunity. Most of the technology here is out-dated. There are obviously buzzwords used all the time: we are IT (not really), we are innovative (yeah right :) ), cloud, docker, agile, AWS and so on but the actual projects don't come near anything new. For example, there was a company-wide GIT initiative - yet most of the projects are using SVN or even CVS (yes - you read that right)! All new project should be GIT based, yet very few are. If you ask why - don't do it - you are on the blacklist. Another good example how bad the company is IT-wise, is the actual exit interview process. All people leaving are asked to fill in a form where you put your name, job role, salary, starting and leaving dates etc - all information IS already in the same system! What's the point? Duplication of manual work and lack of automation is astonishing! If you ask why, you get usual blah, blah, blah... lies and silly excuses. And that's just the top of an iceberg. Look at the LIT website - it is very basic - like all projects inside the company. There are 500+ employees and only 2 or 3 web designers. There are people who have skills, knowledge, and passion (no doubt about it) to do or even learn web design yet... they are asked to sit in the silly, retarded projects instead of utilising their time and skills to build something cool and state-of-the-art. The actual design work has been out-sourced and then people are being told either they don't have skills (yes the management "knows" how to motivate people) or you have to focus on doing some "real" (read: worthless) project work (which actually doesn't consume whole day). Lies, lies, lies and empty promises all the time. Did I mention that this super-awesome, great place to work (irony again) so-called IT company is giving low-spec, locked-down, Windows 32bit laptops? There are no real career opportunities. Overall, you can read management lies about X number of people getting promoted each year. Well yes, you can have plenty of graduates who get promoted to engineers. Then people get stuck in their projects for a couple of years and... you will get a few people that for no reason get promoted. Same goes with the bonus each year and pay increases. Double standards everywhere. If you apply for internal job, you have to go through recruitment process and even if you are trying to get the same job in a row, with the same specs - one time all requirements are solid - no exceptions, while the other time all rules can be quickly adjusted so "the right" candidate will get the job. If you complain, you will end up on the blacklist, management will tell you a lot of lies (again) and basically, you will go back to your out-dated project - while the special people will get the better work obviously. Whole career progress is unfair and not transparent. There are plenty of people who work hard and get no recognition. Look at the most recent reviews of LIT - there is definitely a trend emerging there. Good people are getting pissed off and move on. LIT is very disappointing.

24 people found this review helpful

HR Director

I was disappointed to read your review as we have an open door policy across Liberty IT and we seek feedback, positive and negative, through roundtables, skip level meetings, LIT Engages, my Connections and 1-1s to enable us to keep a finger on the pulse of the organisation and employees’ views and opinions. As part of our ongoing Organisational Transformation, we have launched a set of values for all of us to act out in our daily lives at work: show you care, share the spotlight, appetite to learn and be approachable. These values were created and launched by a group of employees so I am confident that we will live up to them and hold each other to account if not. I believe that this environment will allow employees to thrive during their time with us – we are aiming for a culture of empowerment and autonomy and this is a great first step towards that. I am sorry that you feel your time with us was not positive and wish you every success in your new role. Regards Cathy

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Forward thinking company, great place to work.

Dec 8, 2017 - Engineer in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been here less than a year and have been impressed so far - LIT is a forward thinking company, interested in innovation and improving, both technically, organisationally and in business terms. The Dublin office has a nice friendly, relaxed culture and everyone I have dealt with in other offices (Belfast and Boston) have also been great, I enjoy coming into work every day. The offices themselves are good - spacious and modern and whatever tech is needed is available. There is an overall culture of wanting to be better in LIT - to have better coding standards, to be using the best cloud services, to trying new technologies and concepts, along with trying to actually be a nice place to work. It's also good to be part of a larger company (Liberty Mutual) as it offers a greater scope of work and projects, along with travel opportunities.

Cons

None, all good so far.

Director Of Operations - Dublin

It is great to read about the positive experience you have had so far, especially your comments about the culture in the Dublin office. I enjoy coming to work every day too! Best wishes Felim

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Stay away at all costs!

Dec 18, 2015 - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pension and Healthcare. Subsidised Canteen in Dublin

Cons

As per the company's view, let's break it down: We're Inventive! Liberty Mutual never take on board any new ideas or embrace good recommendations from LIT teams especially the Dublin teams. We're Influential! At what? Lot's of great ideas have been created in and nothing has been taken on board by Liberty Mutual. Developers in are not trusted period. We're technically advanced! Old stack based technologies are hardly "technically advanced". Call center in Dublin is not really technically advanced it's a call centre. We're Inclusive! Dublin teams feel alienated and are mocked for making mistakes instead of helped. Massive divide between LIT Belfast and Dublin teams. Dublin teams are are working on the worst projects and dealing with huge volumes of support queries and QA tasks. No support from Belfast teams. We're Trustworthy! Not very trustworthy as there is a strong culture of mistrus and mockery. During my time there I felt the Dublin teams were looked down upon. We're passionate! Yes I agree in relation to keeping margins and staff utlisation up at all costs. Also passionate at preserving the image portrayed to LM at all costs. We embrace emerging technologies to ensure we are one step ahead of the competition! Old technologies resulting in people leaving the Dublin office to work in better companies with better "emerging technologies". We think differently! Not allowed to due to LM's command over projects and budgets. We push boundaries. Of what? LIT is a resourcing company for a large scale insurance company it provides resources which work on the bad projects, great statement but I never saw any evidence of boundaries being pushed. We defy convention! Working as a resourcing company for LM hardly puts LIT in a 'defying convention' mode. Quite the opposite LIT works within the remit of providing resources to a larger company which are all about convention. Join our global team of IT professionals Based in US, Ireland, UK whats global about LIT? It's Liberty Mutual that is Global. Again this is another example of pure and utter lies. Flexible is our 9-5! Working long hours, weekends, late evenings is what I experienced. Policies are there but staff rarely let work flexible hours. We offer a very competitive salary & benefits package! Below average pay and package as compared to other "Global IT companies" based in Dublin. Great Place to Work! Propaganda used by HR/management to bring in new talent, and keep the masses blinded. This is not reflective of the Dublin office or indeed the Great Place to Work "Ireland". To Summarise: People leaving the Dublin Office in their droves due to bad wages, terrible management and bad projects. You will receive constant criticism from US/Belfast. It's very very heavy on procedures and process often killing productivity. Lack of support from Belfast office means you do not have the knowledge to do your work. Dublin is a glorified "call centre" with a few developers thrown into the mix. Tech teams in Belfast like to keep all the good work and pass the bad work to Dublin. Very very unfair political company to work in. Bad management and blame culture is endemic.

5 people found this review helpful