Liberty Travel Team Leader Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Liberty Travel Team Leader Reviews

Updated Sep 12, 2018

Found 23 reviews

2.7
Liberty Travel CEO Randy Alleyne (no image)
Randy Alleyne

"Team Leader"

Former Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

small teams at branches keep communication open an fun. Repeat customer base makes the job fun. Over time you learn a lot about these individuals personal travel styles so tailoring new itineraries becomes easy if you have solid product knowledge. Annual conferences are also held in beautiful locations, giving the consultant a chance to really speak from personal experience with confidence.

Cons

sales targets are often unreasonable during off season and the pressure of reaching high targets during peak season is very high. the most recent president also had a threatening tone when addressing the leadership team.

Advice to Management

Speaking specifically to the president, selling a vacation is not the same as selling a TV. Convincing a customer that a particular resort is perfect for them, when there are so many options, cannot be compared to a tangible product that they can see and compare in a store before they spend their money. His employment history at Circuit City often came through in the messages he delivered to the leadership team.

Liberty Travel2018-09-12

"Team leader"

Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked my way from Consultant to Assistant TL and now I run my own store. Amazing colleagues and amazing support team in HQ! I have traveled all over while working with LT. Conferences are amazing and so much fun always out of the country giving you more knowledge to bring back to your customers. Global Ball is outstanding and there is nothing like it. The ultimate reward for having a successful year. I have made... lifelong friends in the past 10 years and are still making more.

Cons

Working weekends and a late night is not always the best with a family but I knew the hours and agreed to them upon being hired. Being pressured for more and more on transfer day is a bit too much sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your TL's and their Teams the new Region restructure is great and most finally feel as if they have someone on their side.

Liberty Travel2018-08-22

"2 Stars Is Generous"

Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

During my time at Liberty Travel I made lifelong friends, which was the best part of the job. I met tons of people at conferences I went to and networked with most of them. FCUSA itself is a great company. Their perks and benefits are great. Brightness of future is something that I took advantage of in the company. There is a lot of room for promotions and changing departments, which is why I am still with the... company as a whole, just not Liberty Travel.

Cons

The upper management is horrendous. They set goals that cannot be reached, yet they do not want to hear why the goals were not hit. They should really be coming out to the stores and watch and see where things are going wrong. It is no longer an age where everyone uses travel agents. A lot of the leaders always say they're there for you for anything, but never answer an email. Turnover was horrible because of the... stress of the job. With this said, it was put onto the Team Leaders of the offices to keep training new people, which took away from other things.

Advice to Management

You should really think about going to troubled offices for a week or so, sit, and LISTEN to what is going on there. There are reasons why the store is doing bad...hours, location, agents, etc.

Liberty Travel2017-11-07

"Dynamic work environment with excellent incentives"

Former Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Albany, NY

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed the company culture as Liberty Travel is now owned by Flight Centre, an Australian-based company. They have a work hard, play hard type atmosphere and with the uncapped commission structure it is really possible to earn an EXCELLENT living there.

Cons

The consultant experience can vary drastically depending on the office you are in. Overall the company philosophies are great but sometimes they are not put into practice as much as they should be on a shop-to-shop basis.

Advice to Management

Check in on individual stores more often and make sure they are adhering to the company standards. Many older consultants will get stuck in a rut of the way things used to be, slowing the potential progress of the shop and its consultants.

Liberty Travel2017-08-07

"Assistant Team Leader"

Former Employee - Assistant Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

The travel industry itself is amazing, exciting and rewarding. It can definitely be a life long career. And there is still a need for the personalization that travel agents can provide to consumers.

Cons

Poor compensation plans: Travel Agents/Consultants from other agencies never came to Liberty for employment. But yet Liberty continues to lose their Consultants at an alarming rate. Liberty must realize and accept that they are doing something wrong. And proof is in the actual numbers... Over the past 2 years in Los Angeles and Santa Monica, there were a total of 14 staff members employed at the two locations.... I was the last of those 14 to leave Liberty. Most of those 14 now work for competitors.

Advice to Management

The pay structure definitely needs to be changed to be leaders in the industry. Not the bottom dwellers.

Liberty Travel2017-07-06

"Better experience available elsewhere"

Former Employee - Assistant Team Leader

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Travel perks can be great, discounted rates and FAM trips

Cons

The pay is awful, the company micromanages you, and they teach you to lie to customers in order to make more money by selling them something they don't really need. No experience with current CEO, but it's not a good sign when the organization has had 3 presidents in 5 years.

Advice to Management

Pay more. You are forced to put in so much time in order to make commission but never compensated for overtime. It's a revolving door of young kids out of college with some of the life timers who refuse to conform to the new standards. Those folks eventually get pushed out.

Liberty Travel2017-03-08

"Not the same company since Flight Center took over"

Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Worked alongside of some good people that also left the company.

Cons

Quality of personal life suffers

Advice to Management

Don't keep letting good employees walk out the door.

Liberty Travel2017-03-10
  8. "Rewarding when you're willing to put in the hard work ."

Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The travel perks are amazing! You can earn free stays with partner resorts. You can go on familiarization trips to become more of an expert. If successful, you make great connections with your repeat clients and your team members. Global ball makes it all worth it.

Cons

You must be willing to work your bum off to make good money. You won't succeed unless you put in the time and effort! You will work overtime. It's part of the sales lifestyle here.

Advice to Management

Get to know what it's like for your people on the sales floors. This may help the ideas you bring to the table flourish if you have a better idea of how they'd work on the floor.

Liberty Travel2017-01-25

"Run in the other direction"

Former Employee - Assistant Team Leader

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Travel discounts, some nice coworkers made the job tolerable. Also they give you booze occasionally. If you have the time off you can take FAMs.

Cons

Working long hours with antiquated technology that is unproductive, and competing against online travel agencies where prices are almost always lower, resulting in the infamous "price beat", meaning you make little to nothing in commission. The company also just reduced the amount of commission you receive under a certain threshold, meaning you're often making only a few dollars for your hard work. You have to take... on multiple roles including doing your own accounting and bookkeeping, as a result the stores records are usually very disorganized. No raises ever, no matter how hard you work. No weekends off. Many stores are run down in appearance and have an atmosphere that is just plain depressing, this is not surprising as it is a dying business model, no matter how hard they try to convince you, the fact of the matter is the company continues to try to shrink its way to profitability by closing locations.

Advice to Management

Either invest in the company or give up, you're business is like Blockbuster video competing against Netflix. Adapt or die!

Liberty Travel2017-01-28

"Team Leader"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Montvale, NJ

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time

Pros

You work so many hours you wind up with a second family.

Cons

I don't even know where to start. Everyone is always worried about their job....for good reason. I worked round the clock to be amazing, was amazing and got demoted without Warrant. Company lost 10 million under new president Randy who also cleaned house firing peogle he shouldn't have. Then there are his puppets...the area leaders ,running scared....too scared to think things through and do the right thing. So... much so that the one who hurt me and ruined 100 others lives, mostly for personal reasons just got it herself fired and back to her country. Karma?

Advice to Management

Come on now! Open your eyes! Randy is as worthless as his Spiffs and is running the place to the ground. There won't be a Liberty Travel in another year. It is heartbreaking to watch. Someone do something about it! Dean? Emma?!?!?!?

Liberty Travel2016-12-26