Liberty Travel Employee Reviews about "commission structure"

Updated Aug 3, 2021

Found 19 of over 335 reviews

3.4
Liberty Travel President Randy Alleyne (no image)
Randy Alleyne
Pros
  • "Pay, travel perks, life long friends(in 74 reviews)

• "I enjoyed the company culture as Liberty Travel is now owned by Flight Centre, an Australian-based company(in 19 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work/life balance during the pandemic(in 26 reviews)

• "Commission structure could be revised(in 19 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "commission structure"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Liberty

Aug 3, 2021 - Executive Team Leader in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good Fun great travel benefits

Cons

High stress, commission structure. high targets

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Overall a great experience! Just wasn't sustainable long-term for myself.

Dec 8, 2020 - Travel Agent in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome company and work environment. Everyone you meet in the company is amazing and the perks/benefits are hard to beat.

Cons

High stress, low salary and terrible commission structure after first year.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good only for stepping foot into the industry

Nov 22, 2017 - Travel Consultant in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Travel perks such as FAM trips, free hotel stay and annual conference. Great team and people to work with. Full initial training and time spent on your development

Cons

Low pay salary, only 30k/year plus commissions which are NOT enough to survive and pay rent. The commission structure increases by year and it gets harder and harder to make money. Long hours, necessary to work a lot of overtime to hit your target. Some stores are open 12 h a day, all weekends and all holidays. The company doesn't do anything to keep the good consultants, Liberty spends time training but doesn't offer competitive salaries to keep the good consultants who end up working for competitors. Liberty is pretty much training work force for other travel companies and they can't keep their employees. Poor management. New York City stores have seen a total exodus of consultants in the last year to the point that some stores 50% of the consultants are Novices (aka not good customer service). Travel perks are great but all travel company offer them.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Travel Consultant

Apr 28, 2017 - Travel Consultant in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

yearly consultant trip. some travel perks. discounted airfare (very small discount), cool colleagues

Cons

management, pressure, no worklife balance, terrible marketing, work weekends, pay not equal to workload, no pay raise, terrible incentives in comparison to other agencies, commission is a percentage of a percentage. They spend thousands of dollars sending every consultant in the company on a yearly consultant trip. I'm pretty sure if they decided to not do it for one year, they could spend that money on redoing the marketing so the consultants get more leads. They prioritize the wrong things! If you focused all your energy on getting the retail stores took look a little more upgraded, and if you solidified the booking systems, the consultants can work easier and make more money. Then you'd receive less complaints about the work life balance, the pay, and the commission structure. In their mind, they try to lure first year consultants to stay by sending them on an all expense paid trip at a 4/5 star resort so they can get a feel of the good life. When you're on the trip, you barely get to enjoy the resort because they bombard you with lectures. You spend so much time in a convention room when you should be experiencing the property amenities. They lowered the base salary a few years ago. Dont expect to get any pay raise while you're there. Also, there are opportunities for growth if you're open to driving to their headquarters which is in the middle of nowhere (montvale NJ). otherwise you'll be stuck in the retail stores. You WILL work past your scheduled time. If you dont make your numbers, you wont get over time. They put a lot of pressure on their consultants but the systems are so outdated that we spend 30% of the time trying to put together a quote instead of soley focusing on selling. the benefits are expensive. You will work weekends, and your schedule will never stay the same. Your job functions are way more than whats described. A lot of customers will try to waste your time, so you need to learn to cut through the BS. theres a lot of BS in this company. you MUST have a thick skin, or you will perish! The leaders of the company force employees to "promise" that they will hit a certain target, even if we dont feel comfortable doing that. They do this so you can feel pressured to do it. If you dont, they will come back and you'll be expected to give reasons why. They will always blame the consultants for not hitting their numbers.

7 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

What Happened? I thought I would work here for a long time....Glad I left!

Feb 3, 2017 - Travel Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

I met some great people and will continue many of these friendships now that I am not at Liberty Travel. I was able to attend Global my first year as a Novice. It was in Singapore and then I added on a Fam trip to China afterwards. I was able to climb the great wall and see the Terracotta Warriors! It was truly an amazing first couple years. The travel perks are okay if you are able to get the time off and actually use them.

Cons

The old Liberty Travel was kind and worked great with each other and we were really a team. That is not the case anymore. You are only as good as the day you are in. Your overall yearly number should count for more than the sale you make each and every day. Some days you will have big sales and other days you won't get one; but the company needs to realize that this is how it works. Please tell me how taking a selfie of our team in the back office with "snapchat faces" in front of our daily numbers every morning is helping me sell travel. I don't know how much time was wasted trying to figure out who and what we should take the picture as instead of getting our day started. Then reporting on our facebook at work page what are target was over same day last years number we hit and what 3 people are you going to get to book today and if you haven't made a sale by 1pm you need to tell me why you haven't sold anything yet. Micromanaging much! I was just shy of working with Liberty Travel for 6 years and I was doing great selling travel; but all this other nonsense really takes a toll on you and you have to call it quits when you start getting chest pains on a daily basis! No job is worth your health. The hours can change on you with NO warning so if you have kids or a life this job is NOT for you. You are expected to work your day off and switch another day if something comes up (i.e. meeting, etc). So if you already made plans on that day off; oh well. Oh and you have to work every month end day (i.e. Jan. 31st, Feb. 28th) because it is transfer day and they need all hands on deck to move as much money as possible that day. Even if that day falls on a weekend you are expected to switch your other day off and if need be work the full weekend. The systems at Liberty Travel are horrible. They are trying to improve them; but let me tell you I just switched agencies and my eyes have been opened!!! Liberty Travel's systems are years behind these other agencies. Also, Liberty Travel likes to keep everything in house; of course to make the most money possible in their pockets (wouldn't you if you were them). So they only allow you to book with GOGO Tours which is the tour operator they own. So you aren't able to book through other companies even if they have a better price. So what do you have to do take a cut in your commission from about 19% down to 6% and do paperwork called a pricebeat; submit that and maybe get it approved by the pricebeat team. It is a lot of extra paperwork for you and less time you could be selling more trips. Also, the agent takes all the loss on the credit card fees off their commission on the booking (unlike my new company I don't take any loss). So lets say you have a trip overall cost of $5,000 and your commission for the company is $950, you would loose about $150 in credit card loss leaving you with $800. That might sound great. BUT of that $800 most months you only make 5% of that amount leaving you before taxes with $40 extra you made for the month. I was there for almost 6 years and hit the 35% commission threshold probably only 2 or 3 months out of the year because to make that you have to close in commission over $9,500 in one month. Everything after the $9,500 you would make the higher commission on. Well for the remote areas we live in it doesn't happen that often. The company states that they have this great commission structure and it is; for them! If you are young and don't really know what you want to do in life yet and want to travel; check it out as it is good pay for a base salary of $30,000 plus commission; but just know that it is a good starting point and you can learn a lot if you apply yourself. But you are not going to be making that "unlimited" commission structure they talk about! I lost all respect for Liberty Travel when they flew out a Human Resources agent for allegations against the Team Leader for inappropriate touching and texting with a co-worker and there is proof that things happened, but of course Liberty kept the TL on stating it was just a he said she said thing. When you have to go through and sit in an office and continue to work with a hypocrite as a boss and a company that could care less what goes on as long as numbers are there; you know this is a bad company. This company promotes drinking and getting plastered at every company event. I am all for drinking; but in a respectable manner. The president of the company half the time is tanked on stage and can't remember what he was supposed to say. Ever since he took over he has been running this company into the ground with his S.P.I.F.F.'S. Spiff's are just another way for us consultants to make extra money. Which at first we thought was great. Until we found out that we had to charge the clients $90 to make the booking a spiff which did give them $150 off their future trip. BUT the clients also had to book a sightseeing excursion as well along with that. So the trip that was $2,000 and sounded great is now: $2,500; oh but don't worry we just tell our clients it's a "Package Deal" and they can't get this deal anywhere else. So when we didn't sell them we had to give a list to our boss of each person that we could have sold a spiff to and if we didn't she had to call our clients and ask them if I offered them one; and if I did why they didn't book it.

9 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Better off looking elsewhere

Dec 17, 2016 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

co workers and travel benefits

Cons

poor pay, not linked to where you live. NYC consultant makes same base pay as someone from upstate NY where cost of living is much less. poor home/work balance - expected to work holidays. commission structure is such that is is hard to make money, consultants only receive 6% of the commission on a sale with HQ taking the rest. They do not care about their employees, everyone is dispensable and replaceable. Very stressful environment

4 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

good for now

Oct 9, 2016 - Travel Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

- travel perks - fun work environment and events sometimes - coworkers - this is a good " get in the door" job

Cons

-stress - little money- terrible commission structure - most stores aren't in profitable locations - forced to push certain products

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fun work culture

Sep 8, 2016 - ATL in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

travel perks and discounts, motivational at times and they believe in moving within the company

Cons

work schedule are like retail hours, commission structure isn't the greatest

9. 2.0
      Former Employee

Travel Agent

Sep 27, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

At the beginning is a nice training, nice environment, friendly co workers.

Cons

Commission structure is not what they promised. Expected to reach your target too soon.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee

GOOD PLACE TO WORK

Mar 8, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Travel perks, helping people see the world.

Cons

Commission structure could be revised.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 Reviews