Lieberman Research Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.2
Lieberman Research Worldwide CEO Dave Sackman
Dave Sackman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Your coworkers are smart people and most teams have good culture" (in 17 reviews)

• "Great People ( A lot of cool, intelligent people here)" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Absolutely abysmal work life balance" (in 24 reviews)

• "Working long hours is the work culture here, which the Senior Management set the tone for such environment" (in 40 reviews)

1. "Such a bad environment"

I worked at Lieberman Research Worldwide full-time

Pros

Some cool projects to work on for some pretty big brands...but that is not exclusive to this market research firm

Cons

Stressful environment with lots of people that are not at all level headed and socially off lol. Very “fake” culture of upper management acting like they care about you, but hey, it’s market research and not the most mind stimulating job, so you’re easily replaced if they have a personal issue with you. Not a very welcoming culture - it’s hard to believe this place is situated in a melting pot of a place like Southern California. Like other people said, get the skills you need and land you a better job with less stress, better and kinder management and coworkers, and better pay. Definitely one of the worst jobs I have ever had. Most people quit in 2 years.

Advice to Management

Meh...management is too egoistic to think they’re ever in the wrong so really no need to give advice.

"Really enjoy the job, great people, company treats you well"

Current Employee - Senior Research Manager in Century City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Research Manager in Century City, CA (US)

I have been working at Lieberman Research Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really love my job at LRW - I've been there for 3 and a half years and in that time started as an RA, was promoted twice up to SRM and have more than doubled my starting salary (which was very generous to begin with compared to the industry I came from - started in PR after college). I'm looking at my next promotion (RD) within the next year and that will take me up to nearly $100K, so if you're looking for great salary opportunities, this is the place.

The benefits and compensation are more than fair and upper management / C-level takes a genuine interest and investment in employee engagement and satisfaction (annual ESAT survey is given a ton of gravity in the organization). I've been lucky to work with and for some of the best of the best in the company, and I have to say - have never NOT been given something I asked for (e.g., more flexible hours, manageable workload, more responsibility / fast-tracked promotions, etc.).

You get back what you put into this job. If you genuinely care and have a great work ethic and an interest in success for yourself, your company and your clients, you will soar at LRW. Not to say you have to be an absolute rockstar, you just have to be a quick learner, someone who takes initiative and owns their work, and someone who cares about doing well in their career - which honestly, if you got an interview or offer from us, you probably are! Most people we hire turn out fantastically.

It seems like people's biggest complaint is hours. You have options there - yes hours can add up but it's usually in waves. There will be lulls where you work 40 hour weeks for a while and high points were you put in 50-55 for a week or 2. During those high points, you can choose very flexible work hours (come in early to leave on time, leave on time for a workout and then log back on later from home) and if it helps you can also work from home during busy times (most of management is very supportive of that).

Many people at LRW have families and balance work and life accordingly - people take their full vacations every year, people take 4 month maternity leaves, people work 7am-4pm when they have little kids so they can pick them up from school. They make it work, you just have to start the discussion and trust, you will be given what you ask for.

Hopefully this doesn't sound so overwhelmingly positive that you think I'm secretly the CEO posing as an SRM (I'm not, I'm an SRM on Klubis-Sack). I just think the other reviews are giving an unfair view of the company and I want to set the record straight :)

Cons

Firstly, keep in mind a lot of the negative reviews on this site are from employees who either quit or are about to, or were let go. They are outliers and not a fair representation of LRW employees. A majority of us are happy and fulfilled, we just aren't usually thinking about writing glassdoor reviews because, as I mentioned, we are happy and fulfilled and it doesn't occur to us. But I felt compelled to when I saw some of the negative stuff on here and I wanted to set the record straight.

"Growth and Opportunity"

Current Employee - Vice President in Century City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Century City, CA (US)

I have been working at Lieberman Research Worldwide full-time

Pros

LRW is probably one of the best training grounds in the market research industry. Since starting here, I have been exposed to a huge variety of different research methodologies ranging from tracking, communications work, segmentation, different types of qualitative research, social listening, etc. In other market research companies I worked in, I found the work to be much more silo'd and it's hard to learn much more than a few specific areas.

The environment itself lends itself to learning since it's not competitive and people generally want to help each other out. The analytics team is also fantastic and some of the top experts in the industry. Formal training also happens throughout the year on everything from survey design to data analysis and report writing.

The company also lives by it's philosophy of being a meritocracy. I have seen many strong performers rise through the ranks quickly and certainly much quicker than most other companies in the industry (based on my experience).

Cons

Since the we work we do is extremely custom, there are very few templates to work off of so it can be very challenging at times to solve some of the business issues we are faced with.

The hours can also be long at times as project loads can ebb and flow. The reality is that is can be stressful and tiring at times.

"You can do better"

Former Employee - Senior Research Manager in Century City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Research Manager in Century City, CA (US)

I worked at Lieberman Research Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to blue chip corporate clients, but not all clients are blue chip and you can get this kind of exposure in lots of other jobs/companies.

People are generally nice but again this is something you can find elsewhere.

If you are willing to work long hours and are good at playing office politics you can rise through the ranks fairly quickly. People who are "successful" there tend to average a promotion ever 1-1.5 years.

Cons

Pay is not competitive until you become an account manager. I was an SRM when I decided to leave LRW. When I started interviewing with other companies I was offered on average about 15% more than I was making at LRW just to make a lateral move. I ended up getting offered even more than that to move over to a client side position.

Very little work/life balance. It's true that the work ebbs and flows but on my team it was made clear that people are expected to work a minimum of 10 hours a day. In the times when you actually have a regular 40 hour work week, there is a lot of pressure to help out other teams who have a busier load and a lot of guilt tripping that happens to people who try to protect their time.

Management is a disaster from middle management all the way up to the very top.

The main benefit to working at LRW is that you can get promoted quickly, especially at the more junior levels and this creates all sorts of problems. LRW will promote people to middle management for a bunch of reasons, but actually knowing how to manage people and run a team is almost never one of them. Someone can be a good research manager, so they are good at checking tables, programming surveys, writing q'res, etc but they might not have any clue how to manage a team or develop people under them. If upper management is worried they are going to leave, they'll get a promotion to SRM, which is middle management. This happens ALL the time. So they get promoted to a position they aren't prepared for, and to make matters worse now the position that they were filling and doing a good job at is now filled by someone new who probably also doesn't know what they're doing. The end result is teams comprised of people at the lower levels who don't know what they're doing and people in management who don't have the skills to develop them or teach them how to do their job. This causes an unending stream of mistakes on projects and LRW's solution to this problem is to just brute force things by throwing man-hours at problems to try to fix them. Not more people, just more hours with the same people. This is why people quit.

I saw another recent review here saying you shouldn't believe the negative reviews because these are from people who wanted to quit anyways and are therefor "outliers". Negative response bias on review sites is definitely a thing but presumably that same dynamic effects the reviews for other companies here on Glassdoor as well. How do LRW's reviews compare to other companies here on Glassdoor? The truth is that LRW is a revolving door, people are constantly leaving. They aren't outliers, they are just more likely to leave reviews on a site like this. The team referenced in that review, like the rest of the company, has experienced a fair amount of turnover recently. I know several SRM or higher people on this team who are well liked by the company but who either left their job in the last several months or are actively looking for a new job because they are/were miserable. On the plus side, the people I know who left got way better jobs and are currently making a lot more money! Me too!

Advice to Management

Take care of your current employees and fix all of the problems with how the company operates now instead of obsessively focusing on increasing sales at all costs. Right now you're building a house of cards that won't be able to scale. From what I can see the wheels are already starting to fall off.

"Great company, somewhat long hours"

I have been working at Lieberman Research Worldwide full-time

Pros

The people are great. Very non-hierarchical organization.

Cons

There is some pressure to work long hours...I would consider them to be behind the curve when it comes to being a family-friendly workplace.

"Solid Company"

I have been working at Lieberman Research Worldwide full-time

Pros

Good management. Potential for upward mobility.

Cons

Lots of time spent behind a computer

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Century City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Century City, CA (US)

Pros

Opportunity culture. Complimentary massages are available once a month or so. Complimentary bagels on Fridays too.

Cons

Long hours + long commute due to office location. It's a fancy location to show off to clients, and it's nice having a mall across the street with a variety of lunch options, but it's hard to get to if you don't live in Beverly Hills, Culver City, or Westwood. I'd much rather have satellite offices rather than several floors in a high-priced building. Maybe we could use that money elsewhere...

Advice to Management

Benefits could be better. Focusing on employee health to compete with competing companies would help too.

8. "Intern"

Former Employee - Internship in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Internship in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Lieberman Research Worldwide (Less than a year)

Pros

A great place to work to learn about market research! Everyone is happy to help you learn and improve.

Cons

Interns stuck to 8-hour workdays but it seems that workers often work overtime.

"Admin"

I have been working at Lieberman Research Worldwide full-time

Pros

not a lot of pros

Cons

ZERO work/life balance. People are overworked, gaining weight, stressed out, and unhappy here. I was glued to my desk, and did not feel warm & fuzzy coming to work. I felt undervalued, overworked, and disposable. Don't ignore the red flags during your interview. I should have known better when my first day consisted of me working 10 hours, and first week I could barely have time to have lunch. Departments stick within their groups little to no cross over.

Every employee I've spoke with on a personal level were extremely unhappy, and very stressed from being overworked. Working long hours is the work culture here, which the Senior Management set the tone for such environment. If you have a family RUN FROM THIS EMPLOYER, you won't ever see them & when you do you will be in a pissy mood. This place will suck every drop of happiness out of you.

Advice to Management

Don't pick a part your employees when they are working over & beyond. Allow us to actually take lunch breaks. Improve the work/life balance this is America, people aren't trying to work in a sweatshop. You are killing employee moral, and creating an unhealthy work environment.

"Good, Not great"

I worked at Lieberman Research Worldwide full-time

Pros

Adaptability, creativity, and master of your own craft.

Cons

No recognition or promotion. Others take credit for your work.

Advice to Management

Be more appreciative of the people that keep you employed.