London Borough of Camden Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 9 Nov 2019

3.6
London Borough of Camden CEO Jenny Rowlands
Jenny Rowlands
Pros
  • "Agile/flexible working is excellent, your laptop is your office so you can work from anywhere(in 15 reviews)

• "Culture, professional development, location, job satisfaction, life and work life balance, flexi-time(in 6 reviews)

1. "Great School"

I have been working at London Borough of Camden full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A supportive community of teachers and great kids

Cons

Hard to progress as low staff turnover

London Borough of Camden2019-10-29
  2. "New starter"

Current Employee - Principal Transport Planner in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at London Borough of Camden full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good new starter process and induction

Cons

Not yet had one come up

London Borough of Camden2019-11-09
  3. "Local Government"

Current Employee - Mail and Distribution Manager in London, England

I have been working at London Borough of Camden full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Wide range of Jobs, Invest in Community and Staff

Cons

Continuous Change, Very Large organization

London Borough of Camden2019-10-23
  4. "Ok place to work"

Current Employee - Commissioning Manager

I have been working at London Borough of Camden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great location, gym in the basement, modern offices

Cons

Lack of clear management, hot dusking loses the team vibe

London Borough of Camden2019-09-15

"Good money if you can get the right job contracts (and keep them)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at London Borough of Camden full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Camden is a desirable place to live and work in London. It can be a good job if a term contract suits you and you don't want to stay long, or if you want a low level job and have no ambition to progress.

Cons

Where do I start? I worked in Camden for over 10 years. Its great if you can find and keep a contract. Problem is, they're always restructuring or changing things. Even permanent contracts are cancelled. When I was a Camden employee, things were pretty good at the start. But my contract was only for 2 years, so you're constantly sweating and worrying how long you'll have a job. Managers will often help you by... offering you a job as a contracted temp, which basically means you can keep working after an internal Camden job expires, but the temp agency takes a chunk of your wage. All of my minor complaints aside, I have to point out the following: -Camden has this old guard inner circle. These are the golden childs, they can do no wrong and they can pretty much do anything they want and stay employed. -Managers are always infighting and often 'stab each other in the back'. Restructuring is never ending, so stress is high. Even if you continue working, you never know how long you will be. -If you are agency contracted, you're a second class worker. Managers will make comments that really degrade you. The one that hurt me the most was when they held meetings or training or functions, they'd tell you "You aren't Camden, so don't bother coming." -Its high stress. I now have a permanent health problem which I believe was started by or made worse by Camden's poor management. -Managers out and out lie to you. They'll promise you a position or contract renewal to keep you motivated, then the opportunity will 'disappear'. Managers are also terrified of staff under them doing things that might outshine them. Most managers would see this as an opportunity to develop and empower capable staff, but at Camden, many of the managers defend their empire to the last stand, and if you show too much capability, you get the boot to another department or worse. One of the weirdest things about Camden is that people you don't even know can get upset about something and make your life miserable. It really is like being back in school, the gossip flies, but here, it doesn't just hurt your feelings, it can really be a problem.

Advice to Management

End this never ending restructuring. It's demoralizing and stressful. End the temp agency cheat. If you're going to hire an employee, hire them. Don't leave them stuck in a years long temp job where 1/3 of their wage goes to the temp agency. -Keep your promises. Seriously. I was screwed over pretty badly by Camden. I like to believe I am an honest and reasonable person, but my last line manager should have... been terminated for how he treated me.

London Borough of Camden2019-07-09
  6. "Excellent service manager"

Current Employee - Children's Social Worker in London, England

I have been working at London Borough of Camden full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly professional environment for staff and young people

Cons

None to offer very nice building

Advice to Management

None to offer

London Borough of Camden2019-06-26
  7. "School admin"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Belsize Park, England

I have been working at London Borough of Camden full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing location, great work benefits such as the pension scheme.

Cons

Due to recent cuts in funding, there are a lot of redundancies being made at the moment.

London Borough of Camden2019-05-29
  8. "Mrs"

I have been working at London Borough of Camden full-time

Pros

Benefits of working in Camden is secure job

Cons

Nothing just that we should be given more Benefit

Advice to Management

None

London Borough of Camden2019-04-14
  9. "great place to work!"

Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at London Borough of Camden full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the passion for social value, the people, the place

Cons

the trains to get here!

London Borough of Camden2019-04-09
  10. "Business support"

I worked at London Borough of Camden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working Pay ok People ok

Cons

No progression if your face doesn’t fit Stagnant Very little opportunity Staff facilities considering it a new building are poor and cafe is so expensive and not subsided

London Borough of Camden2019-02-23