Lyft "minimum wage" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

1,059 Ratings
  1. "Not Worth The Pay"

Current Freelancer - Driver

I have been working at Lyft

Pros

Make your own schedule.

Cons

After taxes(which is 40%), gas, and maintenance on your vehicle, you end up making minimum wage if your lucky.

Advice to Management

PAY MORE!

Lyft2019-09-08
  2. "not bad for a part time job"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I worked at Lyft

Pros

get to set your own hours

Cons

can sometimes make less than minimum wage due to cost of gas/car upkeep

Lyft2019-09-05
  3. "Not worth it at all unless you drive FULL time"

Former Freelancer - Driver in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Lyft for less than a year

Pros

It is easy to start driving as long as you pass a background check and car inspection.

Cons

*You will make minimum wage unless you can drive full time. *Unless you work only during peak time, you will wait often without making money. *You often drive to places where there is no demand, so you have to drive back to busy area, wasting more gas and car mileage. *Some people are mean/dirty/smelly/drunk. (Make sure you have plastic bags if you drive at night.) *Lyft does not care about drivers and won't... admit it when their system has a problem. I lost so much money because of that, but they did not admit that and told me that "we appreciate your feedback". It is not worth it unless you can work anytime. It is so much better to find any other part-time job considering cost and how much you make.

Lyft2019-07-25

"Lyft Driver (read this one)"

Current Freelancer - Data Scientist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lyft for more than 5 years

Pros

You can kind of pick your own hours, but not really because surge pricing is only at 7am and 2am. Either sleep during the day or work for pennies.

Cons

-Pay is extremely low. I've made more as a 16 year old working at IHOP. -Lyft will deactivate you if you decline to drive someone with a service animal. This includes if you are allergic from them.. This is unlawful and unethical and lyft is basically assuming the driver is a worthless human. If the driver is allergic to dogs, why is lyft forcing the driver to give the passenger with a dog a ride because it's a... service animal? The driver can end up in the hospital. Horrible lyft policy (and I'm pretty sure the lyft policy negates the actual federal law somewhere). -Cannot see where the passenger is headed. I'm often giving rides to horrible neighborhoods. This is extremely unsafe for the driver. The driver should not be forced to drive in a specific area that he knows is dangerous, especially for a $3.56 trip. -Lyft never surges AT ALL. It is snowing right now, Friday night at 5pm and rush hour. No surge (prime time as they call it). I gave a 2 hour ride for $25, and no tip in rush hour. Too many drivers no matter what area I'm in. -Lyft does not adjust their prices according to the price of gas. You'd think for how many data scientists, programmers, mathematicians, statisticians, product managers, billions of dollars, etc... lyft and uber would have the common sense to increase prices using some linear or non-linear relationship to the price of gas. Gas fluctuates so much, so does demand, but the prices stay the same and the driver barely makes anything above minimum wage. If gas prices were higher back when gas was trading at $90/barrel I'm pretty sure I'd be losing money every ride (if not losing money pretty damn close!) -Lyft calculates their pay to try and trick the drivers that aren't as "quantitative." What I mean by this is lyft pays the driver by minute, then by mile, and with some lyft platform fee that is "subject to change at any time." Hahaha...Okay I know how this works. Long story short the platform fee changes based on how long your ride is, whether it's a shared ride, how many miles, blah blah blah and it's a simply math formula that calculates the lyft platform fee (which sometimes loses money) to keep the drivers hourly rate in tact. It's a way to make sure not to pay the drivers too much per hour (or per trip, however you want to think about it). My suggestion would be to take away the tricks and just pay the driver a percentage of the fair (80% like it states you should online). This platform fee makes lyft take 50% + from many rides. I was paid $2.15 for a ride when the passenger paid $7.19! I drove the passenger 5 blocks and arrived in about 2 minutes. This platform fee took the majority of the pay (like i said it is increased when you give short rides and decreased when you give long rides, but also decreases on shared rides with only one passenger. It's a strange calculation). FIX THIS. -The worst part is yes sometimes this is an easy job and I meet cool people, but often times it's not. The least of my worries is driving to the airport and having some snobby passenger complain about me not picking up their bags when they don't tip. The worst part about lyft is surprisingly not the low pay, but it's my safety. It's one thing to consider who's getting in the car, but I should really have the right to know where they're going. As hard as I try, I have ended up countless times in some of the worst neighborhoods in Chicago. My approach is to click "arrive" a few blocks early so I can see where they're going, and then cancel the ride if they're going to a bad neighborhood. However this is stupid because passengers just get frustrated and lyft should just allow the driver to accept of decline the ride, rather than having every ride that goes in a bad area be declined.

Advice to Management

I really hope lyft reads this. Lyft has tons of resources, money, and talented employees. I am a data scientist / quantitative researcher and was rejected from lyfts HR department countless times for their data scientist role (which I am more than qualified for). The fact that they put HR in charge of who gets an interview for this type of role is pathetic and outdated (the hiring manager should look at the... resumes, not HR - HR doesn't know what LSTM is). I started driving for lyft because I needed money (but I quickly realized that was not the right option). Anyway, Lyft has the freedom to choose how to operate their business and make a $10B company with bad reviews into a $100B company with great reviews. It seems lyft is choosing the former. Some super simple suggestions to make the company owners successful, VC's happy, drivers happy, and passengers happy (leading to an overall positive sentiment of the company) would be some simple changes in how the app operates, as well as how the pay is calculated. My suggestions: -Show the drivers where they're going (really, this is the easiest and will make both the drivers and passengers happy. Trust me on this, it is much better for hundreds of reasons, rather than your one reason about discrimination) -Really, pay the drivers higher. That extra $2 you're taking from every ride really hits the drivers. What are you going to do with all that money? Give it back to the homeless? Why do that when your employees aren't far from homeless? I'm actually serious about that. Drivers should be paid a percentage of the fair. Eliminate the lyft platform fee, mile rate, and minute rate...just keep it simple. Keep all those milage/ minute fees internal. Allow a driver to not accept a ride if he/she is allergic to animal, even if it's a service animal. It's funny because you think this review is probably just some random driver leaving an angry review, but it's not. I'm giving advice to show you how to grow a company and actually be the good guys and leave uber as the bad guys. Trust me on my suggestions, you'll be a richer company and you'll seek top talent like facebook, google, amazon, apple, microsoft, goldman sachs... etc.. Right now you're just a start up. If you follow my advice you might just see the growth to be on the same level as google and facebook.

Lyft2019-01-13

"Wouldn't recommend as a gig"

Former Freelancer - Driver in Portland, OR

I worked at Lyft for more than 3 years

Pros

You are your own boss.

Cons

You really don't make much money. Sometimes less than minimum wage if you consider expenses and time.

Advice to Management

Pay people more

Lyft2019-01-28

"Bad company"

Current Freelancer - Driver in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lyft for more than 3 years

Pros

Deal with different categories of costumers

Cons

This company abuses its contractors, you can drive all day long and barely make minimum wage. That's not even accounting for the car depreciation and the cost of gas.

Lyft2019-01-28

"Lyft Driver"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I have been working at Lyft

Pros

On demand, work whenever you want

Cons

Does not tell you how long the projected drive is before an offer is made Frequently earn less than minimum wage for rides

Lyft2018-11-03
  8. "Not bad part time, difficult full time."

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I worked at Lyft

Pros

As a side job Lyft offers a good way to make some extra cash.

Cons

Doing Lyft full time when taking car maintenance into account you may end up working for less than minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Work out some better partnerships for car maintenance.

Lyft2018-10-29

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Community Associate

I have been working at Lyft full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company culture focus on diversity and inclusion. Employee benefits start on day 1. Management is engaged with staff and supportive. Focus on retaining great drivers. Great perks make commuting and life a little easier. Opportunities for advancement, even in non-tech roles.

Cons

Starting pay is much higher than minimum wage but still isn't in step with Bay Area cost of living.

Lyft2018-06-01

"Driving for Lyft"

Current Freelancer - Driver in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Lyft for less than a year

Pros

I drive for Lyft because of its flexibility. I can sign on and off when I need to. The Lyft community is generally a great group of people.

Cons

The cons for driving for Lyft is that the wear and tear that is happening to your car are not being covered by the company and in the end, you make less than the federal minimum wage.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would for it to treat its independent contractors like they would treat their employees. The driving fleet is the legs of the operation.

Lyft2018-04-03