MEC Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 15 Oct 2019

3.3
MEC CEO Tim Castree
Tim Castree
Pros
  • "MEC has great people and a clear vision for the future(in 28 reviews)

• "Work from home up to 2 days a week and great flexibility around work life balance(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "berstunden - Work-Life Balance muss optimiert werden(in 31 reviews)

• "Pressure to answer to your clients and sometimes long hours(in 29 reviews)

1. "Great Opportunity"

Former Employee - SEO Executive in London, England

I worked at MEC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good culture - in-house events and services/benefits, team events, good management support and regular reviews. Continual learning - regular mandatory training to ensure skills and knowledge are up-to-date, opportunities to attend external training or further in-house training.

Cons

I had no bad experiences whilst working here.

MEC2018-02-19
  2. "Ad Ops Executive"

I worked at MEC full-time

Pros

- Great people - Nice office

Cons

- Salary - High attrition rate

MEC2018-07-16
  3. "Fun but toxic"

Former Employee - Communications Manager in London, England

I worked at MEC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great view from the office, lots of media jollys, opportunities to hit your career potential and excel!

Cons

My Head of dept openly talked about which team members they didn't like and wanted to sack which is really unprofessional.

MEC2018-05-09
  4. "Fun Place To Work, Great People"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in London, England

I worked at MEC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing colleagues, Great managers, Superb People & Culture

Cons

No stairs, lift only and waiting times can be up to 15 mins in the mornings.

Advice to Management

Allow pets in the office.

MEC2017-12-26

"Account Manager"

Account Manager in London, England

I worked at MEC for more than 3 years

Pros

Laid-back culture Nice people Free coffee and nice office building

Cons

Poor salary Pretty much non-existing management People and Culture would only listen but never take actions - as you can see in most of the responses below

Advice to Management

Good luck with the merger

MEC2017-12-13

"Intern"

I worked at MEC full-time

Pros

great exposure to a wide range of clients

Cons

terrible management / no pay

Advice to Management

respect your interns

MEC2017-10-16

"This year has been horrendous!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at MEC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Moderately subsidised rooftop bar, decent office views right on the Thames, free breakfast/fruit in the mornings (if you're in early enough), monthly drinks at a local bar for a few hours at literally the smallest bar on the planet for that amount of people.

Cons

MEC used to be amazing when I first started, but this year I have seen so many good people leave because they've had enough. They never replace people when they leave (and if they do, it will be months after you serve their ridiculously long notice period and the team is left with a hole in it for far too long), literally every person you talk to is stretched with work usually because people in their team have taken... on more work or people have been left to pick up the work of others who have left the company, managers and directors doing entry level tasks because there's nobody left in the teams with no time to actually plan ahead and "direct", rubbish pay, no pay rises unless you are prepared to battle or threaten to leave - not even standard payrises that cover inflation and GDP increases, constant reassurance from senior management saying "everything is alright, and we have job codes to hire more people" yet when you ask whether anything is being done nobody knows anything and they don't have permission to hire... the list goes on. This merger seems like one big joke and it doesn't seem to be fooling many people that they're just making it up as they go along...and not a single person in the build knows what their future is going to be or how their role will change.

Advice to Management

All of the lack of payrises is blamed on GroupM, which to a point I don't doubt, but with the way the industry is now and the such small margins on media costs, yet we're still recording record profits, where do they think that magical money is coming from? There's always an excuse as to why people don't get payrises. None of the agencies offer a "unique" product, and this Wavemaker merger is also not unique because... creative agencies and content companies have been using data for years to sell their products and ideas... Your "unique" product is the brains and talent you have in your building, and if you pay them peanuts and treat them like no more than a number in the system then you're going to lose everyone with half a brain that has their eyes open.

MEC2017-11-14

November 15, 2017Global Project Manager, People and Culture

Thanks for your feedback. We are currently hiring for many roles across the business and we continue to place new employees into the business. We know that at times employees will need to work longer hours to meet client demands, we hope that you have made use of the smarter working policy. As with any transformation -we will continue to grow and expand our horizons daily. We have very bright runway before us .

"Got a way to go"

I worked at MEC full-time

Pros

It used to be a great place to work and has really gone down hill over the passed 2 years. But the management are largely the same so there's the potential to bring it back again.

Cons

Favouritism is rife and almost unapologetic in it's blatantness. The same people are given the most promising accounts, pulled into new business pitches, and sent to conferences whilst the rest have to be content with picking up the less glamours accounts and roles. Inequalities and bias are everywhere depending on who your manager is and who leads your accounts, which has a big impact on progression. Even if... you're on the right side of that it's not pleasant to work for a company that doesn't treat your friends and colleagues fairly. The inequalities create a gossiping culture where people discuss what others might have over you, leading to a lot of stress, disappointment and mistrust. There's a very bad atmosphere in the air with so many people leaving, empty desks are everywhere.

Advice to Management

Look after the do-ers not just the ones who talk about doing it. Treat people fairly. Bring the community back by giving everyone real reasons to feel good. Taking people out for drinks when everyone is having a bad time is only going to create an echo chamber of negativity.

MEC2017-11-04

"No work - life balance!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at MEC full-time

Pros

- Had the chance to meet some really nice professionals. - Good place for grads as they will have the chance to learn a lot

Cons

- Long hours - REALLY long hours - I have been there for almost 2 years and never got a raise - long processes - People leave and they are not getting replaced which means more workload for the rest of the team - No appreciation for all the hard work - I have asked to work from home only twice. It was so obvious that my line manager wasn't so happy about it. This perk does exist but this is not really feasible... for non-manager roles - at least not in my team - Lots of micromanagement which is really time-consuming - A really long list of unnecessary processes which actually manage to cause issues in getting real work done

MEC2017-10-11

October 24, 2017Global Project Manager, People and Culture

Sorry to hear that your time at MEC wasn’t what we would hope it to be. We do appreciate that our employees work hard here and that at times it means you will work longer than your contracted hours. We hope that the benefits, perks and flexibility go some way in which to compensate you for these extra hours. You mention processes, we would be keen to hear what unnecessary process happen and how we can eradicate them.

"Good People But Stingy Pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at MEC full-time

Pros

People are great, pleasant to work with. Really nice environment - view of the Thames at Sea Containers building. Young and fun drinking culture. International company.

Cons

You will not get a raise/promoted unless you ask for it. Some staff need to get another job offer to get the company to match their offer's salary. Vouchers at year end were not paid to staff that worked here for 3+ years just because they were leaving the next year (causing leavers to not recommend friends to the company). HR tries to cut costs and does not pay enough to keep good staff, which ends up spending... even more of the company's money.

Advice to Management

Having a great culture is not sufficient to keep great people working for you. Pay is also important. Don't use the excuse of high staff turnover in the industry but instead think of a way to improve the situation. Don't just cut costs blindly but look at the overall impact towards the business.

MEC2017-10-02

October 24, 2017Global Project Manager, People and Culture

We are pleased that you enjoy the benefits of working for a Company that focuses on their culture and hiring the best people. We do have a great view and are lucky to be in such a nice building. We discussed the salary review process at the last Company meeting, which we hope you attended. If any of it was unclear to you, please speak with your line manager or a P&C rep, who will be able to help.

Found 375 reviews