MHN Government Services Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

MHN Government Services Reviews

Updated Aug 9, 2018

2.6
MHN Government Services CEO  (no image)
  1. "Ongoing"

Current Employee - MFLC in Fort Polk, LA

I have been working at MHN Government Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Community oriented and family friendly

Cons

Poor pay scale and no employee focused

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

MHN Government Services2018-08-07
  2. "Uncertainty"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at MHN Government Services full-time

Pros

Solid company, payment on time

Cons

Poor communication with employees and no benefits nor vacation time

MHN Government Services2018-08-10

"Horrific management and ethics"

Current Employee - MFLC in Tokyo

I have been working at MHN Government Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working as a counselor/therapist for the military.

Cons

As you work in other countries, management is not supportive. Japan supervisor had dogs barking during conference calls , talked about herself and did not respond to emails under any circumstances. Company was aware of supervisors incompetence a nd did nothing about it.

Advice to Management

Check on supervisors. Many are not doing their jobs and have absolutely no regard for the MFLCs. Truly the only reason there are not more complaints is that MFLCs are afraid they will not get another assignment. Assignments are rarely posted and it is a mystery how assignments are given. Schedulers never respond to emails unless they want to get a hold of the MFLC. Even though MFLCs have complained that... schedulers do not respond, the problem persists. There is no supervision of MFLCs. There is one weekly call of all MFLCs, that is not clinical in nature. MFLCs dare not speak during the call, as they fear they will get black listed. MFLCs are so concerned about continuous work and assignments that their biggest concern is staying below the radar and will often put heads in the sand in order to keep working. The MFLC does not have a voice and the work is not acknowledge or appreciate by management. When bringing up a concern, often the supervisor will say that if you don't like it, you are free to go. During assignments where there it is difficult if not impossible to make the daily face to face hours, you are coerced in to making the numbers whether they are true numbers or fictious.

MHN Government Services2018-04-18

"Great concept (initially)"

I have been working at MHN Government Services

Pros

It is a wonderful opportunity to provide supportive services to military members and their families in the USA and OCONUS. Initially the pay was very respectable. Eventually received health benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Over the years there were significant "contractor benefit" reductions including multiple pay cuts, sharing vehicles with co-workers when on OCONUS assignments, and housing for long term assignments (meaning 6 - 12 months) was inadequate (eg. having only a microwave and a mini-fridge to prepare meals with) in a room with a bed, small desk and desk chair. Could feel micromanaged and infantilized by management at... times. No personal/sick days or vacation time (very challenging when on long assignments) until relatively recently.

Advice to Management

Please treat employees with dignity and respect as they are professionals stepping away from their lives for many months at a time to do work that is meaningful to them. Improve pay and benefits.

MHN Government Services2018-03-02

"Military & Family Life Counselor"

Current Employee - Military & Family Life Counselor

I have been working at MHN Government Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The experience of working with service members and their families is the reason I do this job. Better pay than most professional counseling jobs.

Cons

No vacation or personal days. The only paid days are Federal holidays. You can request Leave Without Pay, but they discourage being gone more than three days in a row. Only 7 sick days a year. Toxic leadership. If you voice concerns to the wrong people you will be threatened with possible job loss or told to be happy that you have a job. We are not treated like professionals. No raises, but several pay cuts, with... the most recent one being 20%.

Advice to Management

Create a path for advancement. Implement paid vacation and personal days. Ask for input from Senior MFLC's on the ground when making decisions. Treat us like professionals.

MHN Government Services2017-12-28

"Sr Embedded SPA"

I have been working at MHN Government Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

ONLY thing good about working for this Company is working with the military members and their families, and I am lucky enough to work with a good team of MFLCs..

Cons

This is ABSOLUTELY the WORST company I have EVER worked for!!! They DO NOT care about their employees (i.e. MFLCs), and only thing important to them is bottom line (making money for their Company). They will do anything to the MFLCs they need to do (cancel assignments, reduce pay by $20,000, keep us wondering whether we have an assignment so we cannot plan our lives) in order to keep the contract and make money. ... The MFLCs are the last people considered in any decisions, We get NO paid vacation, and were only recently allowed to take off LWOP for anything during an assignment contract. They do not allow us to take care of ourselves so we can take care of the service members and families. Their communication with us is terrible, very seldom give us correct information, and get contradictory information from different departments The health insurance is the worst and they do not explain clearly how the insurance is paid for when off of assignments (have heard several different explanations from different admin people...none of which are consistent). Only 7 days sick leave and a few holidays a year. They constantly increase our paperwork and demand trainings and paperwork immediately, although we never get quick response times from our questions to them. Our Supervisors are useless since their only job is to make sure we are not making mistakes and very seldom advocate for our needs. Many of the Provider Relations Staff (people who give us our assignments) very rarely return emails or calls or communicate with us so we know how to plan our lives. Unless you REALLY have a passion to work with the military, I do not recommend working for this Company!!!

Advice to Management

Start caring about the people "on the ground" doing the actual work so you can actually keep the contracts with OSD. Quit cutting pay....instead think about giving cost-of-living raises, and decent benefits and paid time-off, and treat us like the valuable professionals that we are.

MHN Government Services2017-07-18

"MFLC- Senior"

Current Employee - Military Family Life Counselor

I have been working at MHN Government Services part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Previous opportunity to travel the world

Cons

Required to pay for housing on out of town assignment, no transportation provided on assignment within US

Advice to Management

Appreciate the people on the ground working hard for you- Weed out the worn out exhausted professional that don't take care of military and their families and reward the ones that truly care and put heart and soul into the job

MHN Government Services2017-02-12

"First experience working with a government contractor"

in San Rafael, CA

I worked at MHN Government Services for less than a year

Pros

I found it outstanding for the company to compensate me to complete my 400 hours required for a fellowship as a financial counselor. Otherwise, I would have been paying very expensive daycare expenses, while earning nothing at work. This company allowed me the ability to earn money, which more than helped to offset daycare expenses, and I was able to successfully complete my 400 practicum hours earning the... Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC). I will always appreciate this company. It was a great company to work for.

Cons

I learned that working with a government contractor one must be flexible. When I say flexible, I mean about almost everything. For example, you may be hired with a certain compensation and benefit package, then after the contract is up the contractor, in order to beat all other bids being submitted to the government, may change your pay or other benefits, to obtain the contract. This never happened to me, but I... saw it happen to others doing contract work in other companies.

Advice to Management

NA

MHN Government Services2016-08-10

"Military Family Life Counselor"

Military Family Life Counselor in National City, CA

I worked at MHN Government Services for less than a year

Pros

MHN Government services is a very organized and team oriented organization. I enjoyed the assignment of working directly with the school system. I also found the materials to be innovative and much needed for student and family success with handling deployments.

Cons

Flexibility for employee sick leave would be helpful.

Advice to Management

My Supervisor was exceptional and very helpful, regular staff meetings aided in accountability and in program development. Enabling triage between clinicians in supporting events would interest more military family participation and promote more interest.

MHN Government Services2016-01-25

"Embedded SPA MFLC"

Current Employee - Embedded SPA in Twentynine Palms, CA

I have been working at MHN Government Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Schedule flexibility, good support from management

Cons

No paid leave and limited health plan

MHN Government Services2016-01-20