MHR Employee Reviews about "mhr"

Updated Oct 15, 2021

Found 39 of over 225 reviews

3.2
MHR Chief Executive Officer Anton Roe  (no image)
Anton Roe
Pros
  • "I would definitely recommend MHR to anyone considering a career(in 25 reviews)

• "Really lovely offices and free parking(in 22 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Formal dress code a little outdated(in 25 reviews)

• "The scheme is structured brilliantly, at present there are no cons I would mention - 6 months into my career I feel settled within MHR(in 20 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

Join the conversation on

Tech

111K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=MHR~495118
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "mhr"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I'd recommend MHR to anyone!

Oct 15, 2021 - Talent Acquisition Business Partner in Ruddington, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company is really moving, you only need to look back on the last couple of years to see how much MHR has grown. MHR have some really exciting and transformative projects on the go. Your work and efforts are rewarded and if you want to be involved in making a difference there can be no better place to be. Everyone here is so friendly, welcoming and approachable. I'd really recommend MHR as a place to work.

Cons

There are seriously no cons!

Social Manager

Thank you for saying you would recommend MHR to anyone...believe it or not, we feel exactly the same. We're also really happy you feel your work efforts are rewarded and that MHR is a friendly and welcoming place to work.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee

MHR provides a very friendly and welcoming environment.

Jul 16, 2021 - Business Analyst in Nottingham, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

MHR provides a very friendly and welcoming environment. I've been with the company 2.5 years and find it to be one of the best places I've ever worked. MHR champions internal progression so is a great place to work if you enjoy variety and want opportunities to progress into senior roles, or want opportunities to develop skills by moving departments.

Cons

The policy of no visible tattoos is slightly outdated.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Confrontational management. You can be out in a flash so people are walking on egg shells is 100% true stay away!

Jul 30, 2021 - Software Engineer in Derby, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good equipment. Internal learning and employees are extremely good. Its a shame the management don't go out their ways to retain talent.

Cons

I saw enough people get fired during my short time at MHR mid-pandemic where I was asked to commute and work in an office with many other employees. I was given no alternative and it was suggested subtly many times I would lose my job if I did not comply.

17 people found this review helpful

Head of HR

We appreciate that you have taken the time to leave a review on us. We would like to address your comments regarding the pandemic, as MHR ensured they followed the government advice and performed continual assessments to ensure that all employees who were working in the office, or at home, could work in a safe environment. As a business we enabled anyone who wished to work from home during the complete time the government advised all to work from home, could do so. This included our superb IT team ensuring the necessary equipment, e.g., screens and laptops were provided where required. In addition, we introduced a traffic light system so that those returning to the office environment once restrictions were lifted who may have been anxious could advise others that they required more space than they may have previously done so. MHR did not furlough anyone or take any government funding and as a company we pulled together to ensure we continued to support our customers, the market, and our colleagues. You statement about “enough” people fired really needs to be quantified, as we only “let people” go when there is a justified and valid reason, and we can tell you that there have not been a lot of these cases, as we pride ourselves in our recruitment process ensuring the candidate and the company are compatible and can meet each other’s objectives.

4. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Waterfall software house. Office and wallpaper first. Projects second. People last.

Jul 18, 2021 - Developer in Nottingham, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is about market rate. Main way to secure big payrises is threaten to leave. Profitable company. This does not mean profit share but they have some good cash cows. Working with some of the developers here can be fun and you can learn off some good people. There are very difficult meetings but they try to follow good principles when it comes to code formatting, naming etc. It should be known that a number of senior staff left recently. Occasional work from home. The post Covid rule is you have to be in the office more than at home. Canteen food and service has gotten better. Though a lot is overpriced. Training and fun outings allowances. This depends on the department and team you are in. Free employee mental health advice over the phone. You may need it.

Cons

In July 2021 MHR is still very much about keeping up appearances and presenteeism than function. The best way to describe the software department is a high pressure environment run very inefficiently. They are a grow fast and remove fast company with the end goal always having to be reworked later. Make sure to ask in your interview if developers set estimates or whether they are given deadlines upfront. MHR PERKS and OFFICE MHR do not allow basic amenities like a microwave, toaster, kettle or kitchens. The office looks more like a bare bones building with minimum facilities. People wash their utensils in the toilets which is disgusting. Staff were told once to empty cups into the toilets and not sinks. Multi million pound office when built was not fit for purpose. You are not allowed to change the room temperature. Extremely disrespectful and arrogant attitude when you ask anything about the buildings. Very few employees were listened to before they splashed a lot of money on buildings, ended up most people slagging it off. Canteen is a substitute place for meetings. Often hear private conversations going, people shouting over each other. Management setting the worst examples, double booking meetings over your time without asking. Sometimes over your lunch. Don't care about personal health or well being but will give you a phone number to ring for mental health advice. Canteen food is overpriced, especially for lower end salaried staff. Claims that they are subsidised, but it is not cheap and you are not allowed to bring hot food to desks. Pension contribution is nothing special compared to other companies. Benefits in general here not great. As a HR company they have got better at HR and speaking to individuals. But still don't set the example of what a healthy relationship should be between employees and the company from top level. The company is not afraid of making veiled and unreasonable performance threats from time to time. Slow to adopt and change to work from home culture. They are now being forced to change rather than understanding the market. You may have already read that even developers have to wear suits and ties in the office. There is talk of changing that but no one has seen any light with this. Unscrupulous key worker letters were sent to employees during pandemic to validate that people were required in the office when most of them were clearly not key workers. I am surprised this was not reported. Don't let them tell you about how much profits they are making if they aren't rewarding staff with profit share or more holidays. Not prudent when other organisations are in the same place and rewarding staff. Watch out - holidays are actually 22 days holiday plus 3 mandatory days at Christmas shutdown. MHR WORK CULTURE Layers of management who don't have the will to take issues up or recommend real change. Some layers are gutless and lack leadership to protect teams. Sprints are heavily policed staring at charts to see where hours are being filled and what stories are getting completed. Don't work here if you plan to be a chief or a director, most get recycled every few years when they fall out of favour. Including those in the product design teams. They have had layoffs and redundancies every 2-3 years, pretty much part of the MHR culture. Reasons in the past include saying they over hired. But why not hire slower and smarter in the first place so you don't have to disrupt people and your image? Very high turnover rate. The inside joke is this is why they installed that revolving door because so many people are in and out. Teams are not protected. They are rated using a number every 2 weeks. Similar to Stack Ranking at Microsoft. Then Microsoft scrapped it. Ratings are sometimes rigged depending on whether the team is in favour at the moment or not. They tend to post a lot of HR advice and employee engagement tips on social media, would be good if they practised what they preached. MHR SOFTWARE PRACTICES The company pays to teach the DSDM way. We never follow it in reality. Massive trust issues with the teaching as to what has been reported up. They claim very so often things have changed but nothing has. Hard deadlines with team members expected to pick everything up whilst everyone else does reporting. Very old approach, they lack experience in scaling to become a larger business with short term inexperienced thinking. Effectively follow waterfall principles guised as agile in job adverts. Failure is demonised here. Missing even the smallest deadlines results in disproportionate pressure. MHR METRICS Company is obsessed with bug metrics. Misguided and wasteful. Poor requirements are far more costly over time than most bug counts. Teams have been asked for a metric to report the change in line count of code for each month!! Tells you more about the company asking than the teams. Delivery metrics are passed around highlighting a league table of teams using pointless numbers that everyone games. No other company does this because its useless data that has no value. They are based on items that are immeasurable and proven to be so by industry experts. They just wasting everyone's time and lower morale by tracking timesheets, hours etc. This is ancient software development practice. Careful what you put in their app for check ins and one to one reviews. They only use it as evidence against you in the future if you do have problems. If you don't agree with feedback make sure to reject it in the notes. MHR DEPARTMENTS Design and research departments in the past have been a disaster and need protecting from themselves. Often Test teams tell them what the system should or shouldn't do and miss key points at vision stage. Development teams are often doing their jobs for them, chasing them and making sure they rely on correct information. This is a place where bullies will survive and are allowed to harass other staff members and people are not strong enough to stop it. The louder people are instead seen as "engaged" and people are told its considered "normal" to have pain as nothing is smooth in development apparently. Product and development departments still feel like 2 different companies sometimes. When the heat is on these departments "disappear" or when there are issues and support is needed. Sometimes issues of their own making. Development teams pickup their requirements and documentation work for them. They have thrown wild ideas out there without user or market analysis. You will regularly hear that we need to go live with this work soon to "unlock millions pounds of sales" however when that does not happen there is no pressure on them to question their design failings. Instead they squeeze delivery more. One of the biggest cons is the development department lack psychological safety. You are only as good as your last deliverable. Vast majority of deadlines in the past year are "plucked from the air" that have no real business meaning, just to create pressure. They will still tell you to go away and read the Phoenix Project book. Deadline estimates sometimes have even been compared between teams, funnily trust was one of the companies principles. Development is chaotic, fast changing, a lot of management start flapping over minor issues. Estimates are held to the hour, if you don't like constant pressured deadlines, this is not the place for you. Teams sometimes end up bumping up estimates to protect themselves.

23 people found this review helpful

MHR Response

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive review, there is certainly a lot to take in and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your thoughts in more detail. It would be really appreciated if you could bring your ideas up at one of the regular town hall meetings with the wider teams or, alternatively please feel free to book a meeting in with myself at your earliest convenience to discuss how we might support you further. In the interim I would like to assure you that the senior team are aware of improvements that may be required around estimating and planning across the teams to improve the agile process and additional training is already being planned. This training will be focussed on bringing a common understanding of the process and help to remove the misunderstandings that exist around the agile process. In addition, considerable investment has been made across the Product design team, bringing in excellent new talent to support all the feature teams and provide the support required. MHR has made further investment in excellent catering facilities with a wide variety of subsided food and drinks offered every day rather than adopting the approach of multiple kitchen areas and the problems that come with these.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work!

Mar 7, 2021 - Sales Executive in Nottingham, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team culture and work life balance! I would definitely recommend MHR to anyone considering a career. Great support during Covid-19.

Cons

None that I can think of.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

MHR support and invest in their employees

Feb 26, 2021 - Graduate Intern in Ruddington, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

MHR support and invest in their employees through the graduate scheme, mentoring scheme and internal training opportunities. Open modern offices, free parking, canteen and competitive pay.

Cons

There is nothing I would complain about

7. 5.0

Great place to work.

Feb 25, 2021 - Field Marketing Specialist in Ruddington, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I started at MHR in the middle of the pandemic which could have been a problem, however, the onboarding process was great. I felt like part of the team straight away and got to meet everyone virtually. The positives of working in the MHR marketing team are that everyone is very welcoming and there is a great opportunity to work with lots of different people. It's a very positive and fun environment where hard work is rewarded and recognised by your colleagues and managers. The team always encourages new out-of-the-box marketing ideas and will support you in any way necessary.

Cons

I have been at MHR for 4 months and so far haven't encountered any negatives to my job role.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A warm welcome to an exciting company

Dec 17, 2020 - Internal Trainer in Nottingham, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is hugely helpful and welcoming. I have been given autonomy and trust straight away. My ideas from previous experience are welcomed and encouraged. I felt part of a great team right from day 1. The recruitment and interview process was seamless, personable and efficient. The team were in touch when they said they would be, if not beforehand. My first couple of weeks have been well structured and I have felt supported throughout. The offices provide a great working environment with a mix of the traditional and modern. MHR provide a subsidised staff restaurant which serves great breakfast and lunch options in lovely surroundings. I am excited to learn more about my role and MHR. I believe this has been a great career choice for me.

Cons

The benefits on offer are basic but this would not outweigh the pros.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Salary, Supportive Colleagues and iTrent

Aug 20, 2020 - Payroll Consultant EAST in Nottingham, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

*Good Salary *Supportive team members in the EAST, WEST and NORTH *iTrent is a great product *MHR thank you for the opportunity to work for you. I really appreciate it.

Cons

*The Formal Dress code requirement all the time even at work conferences and training is bit too much (would be nice if this was relaxed a bit). Apart from the above I have no other cons. P.S. I have left MHR because I wanted to change direction in terms of my career path and have a better work/life balance. Consultancy just wasn’t for me but that doesn’t mean it’s not for you.

10. 5.0

Fulfilling graduate Scheme

Jul 30, 2020 - Graduate in Nottingham, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Interesting projects and responsibility for my work from day one - Opportunities to work with and learn from people around the business - Supportive colleagues - Culture of recognition and appreciation for work - Environmentally friendly considerations with buildings, recycling, reusable energy sources, etc - Opportunities to support charitable organisations - Subsidised canteen - Free parking

Cons

None that would prevent me from recommending MHR

Viewing 1 - 10 of 39 Reviews