MSLGROUP Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

MSLGROUP CEO Guillaume Herbette
Guillaume Herbette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Supportive and collaborative environment with huge development opportunities"

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Extremely supportive environment, you are encouraged to learn and develop in any direction you want to go
    - Collaborative teams and people
    - You are surrounded by some really brilliant people - the insight team and the tech/digital/UX teams are superb and will help with everything they can!
    - Culture is fun and friendly - you get out what you put in. There is no pressure to attend all events or parties, but lots of options if you do want to

Cons

- Currently under-resourced which means workloads can be heavy
    - Some processes need tightening up and streamlining, so this can create frustrations and unnecessary delay
    - Hard work can go unnoticed, and unrecognised

Advice to Management

Ensure people have an outlet to voice frustrations, restrictions or concerns and recognise people when they go the extra mile (irrelevant of revenue) or for continued hard work.

2. "Toxic culture of overpromising and under delivering"

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time

Pros

There are no pros at all

Cons

No Diversity
    No Career Progression
    Toxic Culture

"Some pros, but the culture needs a serious shake-up"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some very capable colleagues dotted around the business. Sadly most left over the course of 2018
    - You can work on some big name clients, with interesting work
    - The creative studio is a tightly run ship, with a great atmosphere

Cons

- Zero communication from senior management. You feel a lot is left unsaid - leads to whispers and rumours
    - Unsupportive HR. More concerned with self-promotion at board level than helping the people within the business
    - Strange atmosphere with all the leavers. Management plug the gaps with freelancers which is a short-term solution
    - Pressure to be the same 'type' of employee - i.e. loud, outspoken, macho. No celebration or empowerment of different personality types or ways of working

Advice to Management

Address the culture problem at its root - stop papering over the cracks. And communicate to your employees!

"Smoke and mirrors"

Former Employee - SAE in London, England
    Former Employee - SAE in London, England

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance - but that's because there is literally nothing to do.

Cons

When interviewing I was led to believe that there would be lots of creative & strategic global work, a buzzing social scene and quick progression. In reality, it was dull admin and no creative consultancy, non-existent social life and met someone who had been an AE for nearly two years.

A total lack of urgency about anything - at one point we practically had someone leaving every week and they were only being replaced with freelancers, a culture of people putting meetings in the diary and not showing up (including training), and an attitude to new biz where 'it comes to them'.

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

Advice to Management

Maybe try and listen to new joiners? Chances are that other agencies are doing things that you could adopt to make MSL a little better - wasn't offered an exit interview and when I raised issues with my LM during my time there I was just shoo'd off.

"All fur coat and no knickers"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time

Pros

Works with some top brands and companies
    Nice office in a busy tourist area
    Does hold many events, though some are pointless
    Good to have on your CV at least.

Cons

Pay under market rate
    Dont Support you
    No structure
    No creative thought or input
    Narcissistic behaviour from senior management
    If your not French you will never move up the ladder in Publicis.

Advice to Management

Dont be afriad to try something new and broaden your knowledge base. Stop treating people like a sweatshop.

6. "Enjoying it"

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time

Pros

Good, positive and upbeat attitude in a fantastic part of London.
    Great and interesting work and a general feeling that the board are listening and acting.

Cons

None that I can think of at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

7. "Couldn't have asked for a better start to my design career"

Former Employee - Designer in London, England
    Former Employee - Designer in London, England

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

— Fantastic studio overall with a strong culture.
    — Diverse range of clients and work. Print, digital, film, animation and most importantly everything has a core creative idea at its heart
    — Great staff, everyone is is super friendly and I've made friends for life
    — Studio socials are very common, creates a real team atmosphere where everyone feels welcome
    — Fantastic internship programme, so many talented interns work their way up the ranks and add so much to the culture at MSL
    — Very supportive of personal needs
    — Thursday drinks allows you to meet other creatives from the Publicis network (Poke, August, SlaterBaxter etc.)
    — Appraisal system very professional and helpful for progression.
    — 3 @ 3's (Leave work at 3pm three times a year) is a great benefit and allows employees to enjoy the sun during the summer months.
    — Great location in the Publicis HQ. Occasionally get the opportunity to work with the other agencies in the building.

Cons

— IT problems are unfortunately frequent. Minor issue that can be easily resolved. Can often take a long time to get any IT assistance.
    — Senior Management should communicate more to the wider business. Client wins/loses etc. Sometimes it gets passed down by hear-say.
    — Encourage more designers to present face-to-face to clients. Phone calls are a great start but it'll be great for designers to build more solid client relationships.
    — Training system may need to be implemented better. I found that some designers found it easier to go to training sessions than others.

Advice to Management

See above in cons. Most of these points are easily remedied and overall I've really enjoyed my time at MSL and I couldn't have asked for a better start to my design career.

8. "Rife with politics and self promoters"

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creative
    Good portfolio of clients

Cons

Too many good and experienced people have left

9. "Great but draining experience"

Current Employee - Account Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Director in London, England

I have been working at MSLGROUP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A progressive agency with some of the most talented people in the industry
    Great set of clients
    Opportunities to develop skills and experience in new areas

Cons

Process poor
    Long hours culture (most of this down to poor process)

Advice to Management

It's been several years since I worked there, so hopefully a few things have changed

"Good Team / Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at MSLGROUP full-time

Pros

Talented junior / mid-level staff:
    What MSL lacks in most areas it makes up for in the talented mid-level and junior team members. People who are eager to learn and willing to work hard.

Office is in central London:
    Good location on Baker Street, with good local amenities.

Cons

False promises:
    Senior management and the members of the board frequently make false promises to their subordinates. I have experienced this myself and have heard it reported on multiple occasions by a cross section of staff, they promise promotions, contracts, pay rises, external training and they do not deliver. This alone has led to an exodus from MSL London in the past 6-8 months.

Lack of Diversity:
    The MSL London senior management team shows very poor levels of diversity. This is represented in the diversity of the team they have hired and the representation of women, LGBTQ and ethnic minority team members in positions of authority. It also saddens me that they did not choose to publish their gender pay gap figures.

Internal Politics / Bullying:
    Internal politics and bullying are rife at MSL London. I have seen numerous team members undermined, belittled and purposely over worked as means of intimidation. Sadly, this is an attitude filtering down from the CEO - a huge disappointment.

Poor Training:
    MSL London offers minimal external training and does not offer junior team members clear routes for growth.

Loss of major clients:
    In the past 8 months MSL London has lost a lot of its major clients. This has had negative impact on the entire business and on the morale of the team.

Recent departures:
    Client losses were a huge dent to team morale, now with the departure of one of our CEO’s there is more uncertainty than ever. A lot of people are looking for new roles as they no longer feel secure in their position.

Advice to Management

- Don’t make promises you won’t keep

- Diversify your workforce

- Take action against bullying (witnessed and reported)

- Build a fast track / training programme for talented junior staff

- Ensure open and honest communication with your team

- Live the values you keep shouting about