Mace Employee Reviews about "line managers"

Updated 3 Dec 2020

4.1
Mace Chief Executive Mark Reynolds
Mark Reynolds
Pros
  • "Mace was a great company to work for with many opportunities both in the UK and internationally(in 13 reviews)

• "Great projects and great people, very smart and clever(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is often an expectation to work long hours(in 27 reviews)

• "dumfounded line managers who don't care or have time for interns(in 11 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "line managers"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Internship"

5.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Intern in London, England

I worked at Mace full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Good progression for chartership etc, grad schemes

Cons

- dumfounded line managers who don't care or have time for interns

2. "no"

2.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - MacExpert in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Mace part-time for less than a year

Pros

no cons with this job

Cons

good working hours and line manager

3. "Web Developer / Project Controls Manager (PMO Consultancy) and ICT Manager"

Current Employee - Web Developer in London, England

I have been working at Mace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing people, good training system

Cons

too different technologies on different projects, line managers are changing very often, slow office Windows/PC laptops (not very suited for development)

4. "Year long placement"

Former Intern - Assistant Project Manager in London, England

I worked at Mace for more than a year

Pros

All employees are friendly and welcoming. Really great office atmosphere. Fairly high level of responsibility rewarded within a short amount of time.

Cons

Little communication between junior members of the company and line managers. Little opportunity to get a range of experience with different clients on a range of projects.

5. "Commercial Management Industrial Placement"

5.0
    Current Employee - Industrial Placement in London, England

I have been working at Mace full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. I started with the company last year as a Summer Placement and have now progressed onto the Industrial Placement Scheme so the progression is a definite Pro. 2. Once they trust you, you can be given some major responsibilities. e.g. I commercially run 5 smaller projects 3. The Placement Scheme team organize regular socials so that you can meet up with the other students who work in different sectors to you. 4. You can build up some really useful contacts that can help you progress in your career 5. If you impress on your placement scheme, you can be offered a place on either another placement or on the grad scheme straightaway i.e. you don't have to do any interviews etc.

Cons

1. It can take a little while for you to be given some work to do so you have to find ways to keep yourself busy 2. Sometimes your Line Manager can be quite senior and so they may not always have the time to meet up with you, in that case someone you work closely with can be more useful instead 3. If you do not work in the main office you can feel a bit isolated but regular company socials give you the chance to make other friends.

April 18, 2019Group HR Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It’s fantastic to see your progression and development with us on our Industrial Placement Scheme. We value and consider all feedback and we’ll continue to find ways to improve.

"Project Manager"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Mace full-time

Pros

Exposure to large projects Flexible working is encouraged

Cons

On the face of it, Mace seems to champion progression for women but this seems to be a PR stunt and the reality is not reflected in all teams. There is overt and very stubborn sexism that means women are passed over for promotion and not given opportunities including line management opportunities. In some teams this is much worse than other where a considerable amount of capable women within a team and none of them have line management responsibility. This to a point where women are being line managed by men who are the same grade as them and there is not acknowledgement of the conflict of interest. Pay gap between men and women is quite big.

January 19, 2018Group People Director

It was disappointing to read your review, particularly around your perceptions of the progression of women within Mace. We recognise that historically women have been significantly underrepresented in our sector, and so over the past few years we have put substantial effort into recruiting more women and in supporting them to progress through the company. Things like our Women of the Future programme, which looks at giving women the extra support, leadership skills and network they need to progress their career. After carrying out a thorough review a couple of years ago, I can assure you that those doing the same roles are paid the same salaries across Mace. In the coming weeks we will be publishing our gender pay report, together with plans of what we are doing within the business to support a broader representation of women at all levels of the organisation.

7. "People could be better managed"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Mace full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Salary is not too bad. - Flexibility in hours and remote work. - People diversity. - Get praised when doing good work. - H&S as second nature.

Cons

- My biggest issue is that line managers get too busy working in projects that they forget or don't have time for the people they manage. - Communication in projects could be much better. - Lack of processes or they are not followed properly. - On boarding for new employees needs improvement.

Continue reading

"Good Company with opportunity for career progression"

Current Employee - Graduate Scheme in London, England

I have been working at Mace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is avaiable to listen to any concerns. Room for growth. Opportunity for international experience and relocation

Cons

Favoritism can be seen in some sectors. Experience can highly vary with line managers. Can become a number in the large company. Pay is not competitive

9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Mace full-time

Pros

- Flexible working - Great team - Great Projects

Cons

- Career development and promotions can be slow depending on your line manager

"Great team environment, Growing every day"

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Mace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people, social events, team dynamics and project diversity. A great office to work in. Access to upper management is frequent and easy.

Cons

Line management, training and onboarding could do with some more structuring. Feedback on projects and allocation not taken too seriously.

November 13, 2019Group HR Director

Thank you for writing a review. We appreciate your feedback and it’s great to hear that you have been able to enjoy the range of opportunities available at Mace. We have a manager development programme in place to ensure our people are well equipped to lead and develop their teams. We strive to ensure that our company policies and processes are fair and transparent and that expectations of managers are understood.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 English Reviews