Main Street Hub Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.5
Main Street Hub Co-CEOs Andrew Allison; Matt Stuart
Andrew Allison; Matt Stuart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work environment is good, great people to work with (in 29 reviews)

• Our top tenured reps make a lot of money off residuals (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • You should know that people become close friends here because you're truly huddled together for comfort in the storm that is upper management (in 25 reviews)

• like most sales jobs there is a high turnover (in 21 reviews)

1. "I honestly love it here"

Current Employee - Social Media Community Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Social Media Community Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

- great people
    - motivating environment
    - lots of snacks
    - free beer
    - Houndstooth coffee bar
    - open work space floorpan
    - dedicated workers
    - a lot of talent

Cons

- departments are often very independent and don't mix much which can be frustrating
    - low base salary

23 Apr 2018 – COO

Thank you for this review. I’m so glad to hear that you love working here alongside your creative, talented, motivated team members on the Content Team.

Thanks also for mentioning our perks and... More

"Here’s the thing..."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. A fantastic compensation package.

Which includes paid healthcare options (medical, vision, and dental). Uncapped commissions. 20k base salary. Now let me speak about the salary for a minute. I’ve seen people complain about this, however if you’re focused on what you should make on salary this probably isn’t a good fit for you. Simply because you’re already making excuses to why you can’t attain success. We need more positivity.

2. Career potential

I have been in many sales positions. I can say that this is by far the most training I have ever received for any of them. In addition to the training you receive formally. There is a continuation of individualized training opportunities that are all around you that you have to speak up for. The level of professionalism and experience combined amongst upper management makes this the top employer in my life for a reason. I don’t understand how many have left a review stating you’d be better off at H-E-B. There is opportunity to grow and with the GoDaddy acquisition there will only be more for more top performers to see success not only monetarily, but knowledgeable success as well. Highly attainable for individuals with the drive for success.

Cons

1. Many Culture Wolves

I’ve come to realize with my short time at Main Street Hub, that many individuals are there to waste their time and the companies time. If you’re interested in this position to play ping pong or beer after work. You’re missing the purpose. Those things are there to incentivize individuals who have put in hard work through the day so that they can have a moment to digress. Not for a 45 minute ping pong match during work hours (8:30-12:00 and 1:00-5:30). Come with the intent to make a legacy for yourself.

Advice to Management

1. Keep pushing the importance of the product and how it helps local businesses regardless of a disgruntled employee who couldn’t make a sale.

2. I would improve the hiring process so that we don’t see those individuals who are there for company time fun or individuals who aren’t serious about the long term.

3. Let’s go!

I haven’t been here long and still in training, but I can’t wait to see the road ahead!

30 Mar 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this review! And, thanks for highlighting our competitive compensation package. Under our plan, sales reps have the opportunity to earn residuals and uncapped monthly commissions -- you... More

"Not great"

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

Good place to work just out of college, great coworkers/team members,

Cons

Heavy workload, severely underpaid, few chances for advancement. I've seen amazing, hardworking employees get passed up for career advancements or even just small raises.

18 Apr 2018 – SVP Sales

I appreciate your feedback and that you noted that joining Main Street Hub is a great way to jump into the workforce as a recent grad. Becoming a part of our team is an incredible opportunity to... More

"Cold calling all day"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, great support systems, wonderful coworkers, lots of commission. We have awesome core values and plenty of opportunity to move up into management

Cons

These are the ONLY cons. You are cold calling all day. Some business owners aren’t very nice so you need to have a thick skin and not let it get to you. Sometimes other people are too loud after making a sale which can make it hard to hear who you are talking with or it will be heard by your prospect and come off as unprofessional.

Advice to Management

I understand that when people make sales it’s something to celebrate but, when I’m on the phone with someone trying to make sales too it isn’t very fair to reduce the quality of my call and conversation and potentially lose a sale(it’s happened) in order to celebrate someone else’s good fortune.

3 Apr 2018 – SVP Sales

I’m grateful for your feedback in this review -- it’s awesome to hear how you talk about your managers and team members, and I’m glad you list our core values, which are the foundation of our... More

"Very high turnover"

Pros

They make it appear to be a laid back fun culture from the outside. In reality it is not at all.

Cons

The company has a very high turnover. My training class had about 90 percent of the reps leave after 1 month. They have a good training, but they treat their employees like children. If you are 1 minute late for anything you get written up. People get fired all of the time. I have never seen a company that has so many people getting fired left and right.

Advice to Management

Do not mass hire and fire and have a clock in clock out system with more flexible hours.

13 Apr 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this feedback and the chance to talk about our culture and our team.

I want to point out that we don’t mass hire and fire at Main Street Hub, like your review states, and your... More

"Big pluses and minues; Know what you're getting yourself into"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The people. From your peers to the managers, there are a ton of great people here, and many are supportive. It's mostly a young group, and is pretty diverse.
    - The energy. It's over-the-top sometimes, but it's much better than working in a dead office environment.
    - The office/location. Great space with lots of perks (beer sometimes). Lots of great places nearby downtown to eat.

Cons

- Cold-calling. There's a lot of sugar-coating it, but this is a 100% cold-calling position where you're going to get beat-up verbally all the time, and make 75-110 dials a day. Burning out is inevitable for most.
    - The turnover. The friends you make are great, but they're all gone within weeks/months. It's hard to stay here for long. Maybe like 1/5th of your hiring class (of 40-60) will be there in 4-5 months.
    - The quotas. If you miss the minimum revenue by $1 (more common than you'd think), you get a warning. Those often add up.
    - The hours. They're not flexible with the 8:30-5:30 times, which makes some sense, but if 7:30-4:30 works best they won't consider it (even though you could compensate by calling more EST etc).
    - The product. It's not bad, but it's become outdated in some ways, and you have to force a square peg into a circle to make some sales -- and that feels disingenuous.

Advice to Management

It is what it is, and I do value the time spent here -- you gain a ton of skill and resilience from the position, and make some great connections as well. But for 98% of people, it's a short-term position, and for good reason.

3 Apr 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this feedback and for highlighting our team. I agree with you, it’s an incredible group of diverse, talented people, and our managers work hard to support and elevate their team members... More

7. "Inside Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, great people, decent product. The potential to make money is there.

Cons

It's an entry level sales job. You're cold calling people, sometimes a hundred a day, and you're being rejected by almost all of them. It's a job driven by effort and perseverance. Make sure you know what you're getting into.

Advice to Management

A well managed company during the time I was there. No real complaints, so keep up the good work.

23 Mar 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this review and for highlighting our fun work environment and talented team.

I agree with you, cold calling can be tough, but it sounds like while you were here, you really embraced... More

8. "SWIPE LEFT"

Former Employee - Inside Sale Representative in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sale Representative in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great baristas and free tampons!

Cons

In training, I was genuinely excited about this job. After 8 months with the company, here's my take on their core values:

Reverence for Local Business: I do care about local businesses and I feel bad for the ones that I brought on. I had multiple accounts close because MSH didn't follow through with their promises. When you close a sale, pray for a competent account manager. You're reading from a script on a recorded line so that when a customer complains, they have an out. If you're speaking to a customer who isn't interested, all of the rebuttals are nicely worded version of "Are you stupid or are you broke?" The sale can get downright disrespectful on a close. You can say anything to anyone if you use the right tone.

I am Main Street Hub: They really do make you feel like you're valuable. Well, until you aren't making them money. You have the flu? You're coming in. Death in the family? Sad, but you only need the morning off for that right? You've already gone to the bathroom once today. Why are you taking so many breaks? You're not chanting as loud as the rest of the team. Arn't you happy to be here?

Challenge Yourself: The real challenge is paying rent. The salary comes down to around $9/hour before commission. When you finally make a deal, think about what it took you to make that commission. Challenge yourself to go through that stress again.

Win-Win-Win: The only winner is MSH. The business owners are overpaying for a mediocre product (when it's actually done). You're not making the money you thought. MSH stays paid, stays winning. Your consolation prize is a LaCroix.

Elevate Others: Give the girl in the bathroom crying because she can't pay bills a quick pep talk. Tell the guy from your training class that hasn't made a deal in a month that this next demo is gonna be the one to close. High five everyone, all the time. Let's go!

Speak Up: "We know that candor and critical dissent are critical to our success." You're told to go to your manager or veteran teammates for help. The first few times i asked for help I was ignored, so I asked another manager for help. Apparently, that was the most disrespectful thing I could have ever done to my team or my manager. Shame on me. So, that was the last time I ever needed help. I guess they meant Speak Up literally, like talk to God about your problems because she's the only one who cares.

Take Ownership: I made the choice to work at MSH, so I stuck with it as long as I could. Despite making a few deals a month, I couldn't handle the stress that it took to be successful for MSH. Constant rejection, being so underpaid that I had to choose which bills I could pay for the month, and trying to keep a positive mindset about the job in general was too much for me. I take ownership of that.

TL/DR: Just don't. Go get a job at Target and live your best life with that discount while you're finding your true passion in life. This place is the devil.

Advice to Management

Get it together.

23 Apr 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for this feedback and the chance to talk about our culture and our core values.

We bring people on board who work really hard to live our values every day because our culture is only... More

"Sales Representative"

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

-Really great managers. They seem genuinely concerned in your progress and are very easy to talk to.
    -People. You will make some of the best friends here, and everyone is easy to get along with.
    -Really great location with a lot of places to visit after work or during lunch.

Cons

The biggest downside is the work itself. It's very rarely rewarding and it's exhausting. We lost the majority of our hiring class within the first three months, so even if you do make good friends, don't expect them to be there very long. There's also no parking, so you either have to pay to park every day or consider public transportation. The pay is also not great. Some people are really good at this job and are making upwards of $60K but the majority aren't anywhere close to that.

23 Mar 2018 – SVP Sales

Thanks for your feedback -- it’s great to hear how you talk about your managers and team members. I’m really proud of the incredible team I get to be a part of here at Main Street Hub.

I am... More

"Sales Rep"

I worked at Main Street Hub full-time

Pros

AVOID AT ALL COSTS. You will not make any real money...unless you think $50K a year is real money...it's not. And you're highly unlikely to earn anywhere close to that.

Cons

Avoid this place at all costs. You're cold calling all day long. Nothing more and Nothing Less It will suck the very life out of you. Do not believe the B.S. 'Pros' you read here. Even if you do a decent job...you're not gonna make any real money...I'm not a disgruntled ex-employee. I'm just telling the truth. You'd be better off working at HEB or Trader Joes before you find a Real Job. DO NOT DRINK THE MSH KOOL-AID.

Advice to Management

Also..Stop drinking the Kool Aid

27 Mar 2018 – SVP Sales

At Main Street Hub, we appreciate feedback from our team, because it helps us inform our processes and policies to improve, innovate, and do better work on behalf of our customers.

That said, I... More