Major League Soccer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Major League Soccer Reviews

Updated Aug 5, 2019

3.5
Major League Soccer CEO Mark Abbott (no image)
Mark Abbott
Pros
  • "Fantastic work environment and support from management(in 5 reviews)

• "Great place to network with different department(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Most internships don't seem to turn into full-time positions(in 5 reviews)

• "There are days where it results in working long hours, but it's relative(in 4 reviews)

1. "Major League Soccer"

I have been working at Major League Soccer full-time

Pros

Great place to work in sports

Cons

Growing league, which is exciting and challenging

Major League Soccer2019-08-05

"Love what you do"

Former Employee - Media Coordinator in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Major League Soccer full-time for more than a year

Pros

In my experience, everybody that I worked with loved what they did - working in soccer was an ultimate goal for a lot of us. Therefore, working nights and weekends never felt much like work. Traveling for games and the special events (MLS All-Star and MLS Cup) were always highlights.

Cons

Long hours, often working weekends, little pay. Can be difficult to understand your best bet for upward momentum - lots of people likely ahead of you, unless you're willing to leave to force a promotion.

Advice to Management

More transparency goes a long way. Be brave and embrace being a challenger brand to the US Sports space. Embrace social and listen to your younger colleagues for their creative solutions around relying on broadcasters all the time.

Major League Soccer2019-05-16
  3. "Fun"

I worked at Major League Soccer part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun place to work with opportunity for growth

Cons

management was not always very helpful

Major League Soccer2019-03-18
  4. "Foot in the Door"

Former Employee - Sales Trainee in Blaine, MN

I worked at Major League Soccer part-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of support all-around. Unique approach to teaching sales, and definitely emphasized a far more useful and personable approach than the used car salesman schtick.

Cons

Dorms were kinda sketchy. Very rigorous program. Some technical issues hurt as well.

Major League Soccer2019-01-10
  5. "Sales Trainee"

Former Employee - Sales Trainee in Blaine, MN

I worked at Major League Soccer full-time for less than a year

Pros

had cool trainees to work with.

Cons

Be prepared to make cold calls all day, every day. Management is also trying to get rid of trainees that they do not get along with. Management was also disorganized.

Major League Soccer2018-12-06
  6. "Fun place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Planner in New York, NY

I worked at Major League Soccer full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team. Fun Environment. Positive atmosphere. Managers are open to feedback

Cons

Communication between departments was not always smooth.

Major League Soccer2018-10-31

"If Effective Leadership Is Important To You, I Can't Recommend MLS"

Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Major League Soccer full-time for more than a year

Pros

The concept of what MLS puts forth is very attractive... valuing teamwork & diversity of thought, a creative/innovative environment, opportunity for personal growth....

Cons

However, after a year here, I have yet to experience any of those values in practice & usually see pretty much the exact opposite. Much depends on who you report to but unfortunately many of my piers compare notes & we have similar concerns/setbacks/frustrations b/c our voices are muted if we present a different point of view than that of our VP's even if we have the same if not more experience. The... politics of the organization seem to be centralized around the same core group of people who think similarly & have a long history with the organization. Their camaraderie is tough for newer people with a fresh point of view to penetrate. Taking concerns to HR is said to be welcome however the resolution is often deferred back to the department head (VP/SVP) which is usually where the concern stemmed from in the first place...so it can feel like a cruel cycle. My VP is pretty disconnected from our team, manages by fire drill and operates more with manipulation, pressure & control vs. experience, inspiration & support which in turn makes it tough to respect said VP and to keep team morale in a good place. Junior level staff see things even if I try to shield them & it discourages them from believing our team can ever evolve.

Advice to Management

Truly take the company values to heart and redevelop organizational policies, league initiatives and leadership structure to be consistent with those values in practice. Don't keep the thinking the same people can deliver fresh results & seek outside consultant/agency support to help with the restructure, strategy & platform prioritization so an organizational roadmap can be laid out vs multiple departments... creating/delivering plans in a silo. Be more mindful of hiring people in the right roles & at the right levels. Hiring someone who's capable, smart & has broad industry experience/relationships and then having them report to someone who primarily has MLS knowledge but is not an industry expert is no way to promote new ideas or sustain a healthy culture. It just makes the senior person defensive & isolates the new person. Continuing on the current path you'll keep a revolving door for your best people who you may never even realize are your best people.... Increasing the number industry experts & partners who won't be able to respect or ever consider MLS at the same level of expertise/strategy/delivery as the other major sports leagues. I think Steve Jobs said it best..In weak companies politics win. In strong companies the best ideas do. And in the top companies, experts aren't hired so you can tell them what to do, they're hired to tell you what to do."

Major League Soccer2018-11-11
  8. "Sales Trainee | National Sales Senter"

I worked at Major League Soccer full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing opportunity to learn hands on sales experience in a professional setting. Managers are there to help you learn and give you advice.

Cons

Can get very competitive.

Major League Soccer2018-09-04
  9. "Intern"

I worked at Major League Soccer full-time

Pros

Cool place to work and office had perks

Cons

No growth and structure to follow

Advice to Management

Nothing really

Major League Soccer2018-03-26

"Employee"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Major League Soccer full-time

Pros

The marketing is great to build your own personal brand.

Cons

They do not care about their employees at all.

Major League Soccer2018-02-28