Manchester Airports Group "passengers" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Manchester Airports Group Employee Reviews about "passengers"

Updated 18 Sep 2019

2.8
Manchester Airports Group Chief Executive Charlie Cornish (no image)
Charlie Cornish
Pros
  • "Great people who you can have a laugh with(in 10 reviews)

• "Working with the public and my colleagues in a very stressful environment everybody pulls together and it's a good team working environment(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Mere geography is not enough to treat passengers poorly(in 10 reviews)

• "long hours expected as there is a lot that needs to improve, the new system will help with that - the FD's rarely support though(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "passengers"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good job if you can accept early starts"

Current Employee - Aviation Security Officer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Manchester Airports Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good paid breaks, good management they understand how difficult the job can be and always support you if needed, however they hate lazy workers and will give them a hard time so be warned. always busy especially in the summer, means shifts go quick, friendly staff who always have a laugh, free coffee.

Cons

Constant shift changes, can be stood for long periods, abusive passengers. Please be aware there are regular 3am starts and 12 hour shifts it's hard work so dont apply if this is a issue.

Advice to Management

All we ask for is more shift stability

Manchester Airports Group2019-06-01
  2. "Not for everyone"

Current Employee - Aviation Security Officer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Manchester Airports Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very secure and stable. Staff wellfare is top notch. Good rate of pay and plenty of progression options

Cons

Job is soul-destroying as there's no variety and you're dealing with moody passengers all day and the annualised contract ruins your schedule

Manchester Airports Group2019-09-18
  3. "Poor working environment, no support from management"

Current Employee - Aviation Security Officer

I have been working at Manchester Airports Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some flexibility in holiday hours. Paid breaks.

Cons

Poor working condition overall, in terms of facilities and equipment. Very little support from management when dealing with abusive passengers or airline crews.

Manchester Airports Group2019-07-02

"Terminal Security Officer- Stansted Airport"

Current Employee - Terminal Security Officer in Stansted, England

I have been working at Manchester Airports Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I could not in good conscience recommend this company to anyone

Cons

Poor management Deadly verbal abuse from passengers Unfair shift patterns that exploit staff (4 hour shifts) Failure to comply with health and Safety legislation Company culture is to exploit, Everything for maximum profit with little investment in infrastructure or staff training. To always buy the cheapest, Nastiest equipment possible and then wonder why it doesn’t work properly Incompetent managers

Advice to Management

Improve everything

Manchester Airports Group2018-12-02

"I, myself and all of my colleagues would not recommend MAG. ASO Review"

Current Employee - Aviation Security Officer in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Manchester Airports Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Paid breaks, good pension, and not much more.

Cons

Overworked, under appreciated. Annualised hours is completely appalling. Applied for 20 hours a week and I’m currently working a 50 hour week with no signs of this stopping anytime soon. Expect to be working from midnight, from 3am and expect to be working out up to 10pm/midnight often. Typical shifts 4 x early (3am start) and 4 x late. I haven’t had more than two days off since I started. (This is for a 20 hour job - supposedly. Absolutely no way of getting any kind of sleeping pattern. Two days off always turns into one and a half when you’re in bed for 6pm trying to sleep for the 3am start the next day. Annualised hours frequently changed meaning you can not plan anything for your life. You have to have 3 days notice for the shift changes but this is not enough. Work areas are dim, dirty and noisy. Unfriendly place to work and then organisation leads to passengers being constantly upset and taking it out on staff who can do nothing to fix these problems. If you drive you’ll have to park on the staff car park and this means arriving for your shift at least 30 minutes early, and don’t expect to be to your car until half past the hour that you finish. You are not paid for this time but it adds a lot on to your shift. I’m 10 miles away and I am leaving an hour and a quarter before my shift starts - for a 20 minute drive. This is a killer when starting at 3 am. Resources staff completely careless. Emails of concerns or complaints are shown absolutely no sympathy - coming from people working 9-5 week days - they have absolutely no idea what it means cluelessly change your work schedule, and what it does to your life. This is not just from one person but my whole training group who would say exactly the same thing. This is a wide opinion. Will not be my current employer for long. Staff retention is terrible. Most trainees soon leave after finishing training. Hundreds of ASO staff left last year alone - including lots that have been here for over 10 years’.

Advice to Management

Ensure breaks are on time. Late breaks mean hungry staff. I do not perform nearly as well when overworked and hungry. Resource staff need to be completely changed. Incompetent at best - and this is a very wide opinion among staff. Make annualised shifts more stable. We are not machines and we have lives and plans. The current system treats us like animals ready to be put to work at a moments notice. Feel used and abused. Really not nice.

Manchester Airports Group2018-05-30

"stansted security"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Stansted, South East England, England

I have been working at Manchester Airports Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

above average pay work closely with others job is easy once you have got the hang of it

Cons

can be rushed of your feet for a full 12hour shift passengers can be very rude and abusive starting contract can be misleading hours very massively 50+ in summer less than 20 a week in winter mind numbing no praise from team leaders or managers, only tell you if you do something wrong, never a well done or good effort. Some managers are not aware of up to date regulations. putting you on restricted duties when you have done what you are supposed to. Wrong or rite you will still be punished.

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate your staff more. fairer rotation for teams to do "points"

Manchester Airports Group2018-01-18

"Prisoners are treated better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I worked at Manchester Airports Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Met some amazing colleagues who will support you. Free staff parking and uniform (bad quality though!)

Cons

How long have you got?? The bullying culture is rife! Higher management turn a blind eye to it and even encourage ill treatment of staff. They are forever pulling people into the office screaming and shouting at them. The down time in Autumn is known as 'sacktober'because they want to get rid of excess staff from the summer to cut costs and will pin accusations on people to get rid. Quite a few of the other security officer's are snitches and will go to management to get you in trouble if you make a simple innocent mistake. Bosses will watch you on cctv for hours looking for any slip ups and then pounce. No career progression opportunities. Never paid correctly, didn't do OT because of this. Dealing with the public can be difficult often face aggression and bad manners from travelling public. Staff from other departments within the airport can be hostile and rude when needing to be searched which lowers rapport between departments. Bonus is paltry after fat cats at the top have had their share. I felt sorry for passengers when the queues were so long and they would miss their flight. Hours were so long and on your feet constantly that you live for days off just to have something different to work go home sleep eat and repeat.

Advice to Management

Have a good clear out of the bullies - you know who they are !

Manchester Airports Group2018-01-15

"Aviation officer"

Former Employee - Aviation Security Officer in Manchester, England

I worked at Manchester Airports Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some friendly staff. If you like airplanes then this is probably ideal but you don't work near them even though your told you will. 4am starts are ok but don't fall asleep during the day.

Cons

Long hours. Suspended or pulled for anything in front of onlooking passengers. Too many people thinking their in charge. 4am starts all the time don't get any easier. No social life due to the fact your up around 2am for work so bed early. Broken promises. No career advances even though they say there is. Don't listen to the hype of this job, nothing like what your told. Staff quitting on a daily basis. Too many rules that you are not made aware of untill you do something wrong and punished for.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like you rule the world and treat staff like proper people

Manchester Airports Group2017-04-22
  9. "Worst place I have ever worked at."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Manchester Airports Group

Pros

Free tea and coffee presuming your manager doesnt cancel your break, a free uniform but its cheap and of terrible quality

Cons

Management have obvious favourites who they turn a blind eye to when they aren't where they are supposed to be. Management criticise all new staff for everything until they break you down they also delight in teasing you whenever the opportunity arises and make you feel stupid, after all this is the best way to motivate the workforce. Full time staff get away with bullying new staff members and when management is told they turn it on you: it's your fault, you just need to buck up and deal with it. Full time staff also lie about new starters and management believes them ‘unquestioned’ its as if their word means everything and yours means nothing the politics are appalling staff are constantly reminded that they need to snitch on each other, which plays into the bullying culture that management love so much there. One particular manager had the entire team of flexi’s in tears because of how horrible she was to them that day, I emphasise that she picked on the flexi’s who all do 12 hour shifts and not the full timers or part timers who do either 5 hour or 9 hour shifts The bosses also do not support new starters and make it as difficult as they can for them with a punitive management style, taking the full timers' word for it on everything, doesn't do much for morale and honestly just makes everybody hate everybody. From day one they want to get rid of you and it shows, flexibility is a joke and the flexi roster is just shy of illegal, four twelve hour shifts a week one after the other at terminal 1 and three 12 hour shifts three on three off at terminals 2 and 3. On top of the long hours, managers revel in the fact that they can cancel your breaks at a moment’s notice and hide behind the veil of ‘Operational circumstances’, it happens more frequently than it should too, and as a 12 hour shift worker you are the first to lose your break which is insane. The lines that you will be working have constantly shifting lunch and break times, for example one line features a 20min break at 4am an hour after you have started and then no breaks at all until 1pm, by which point you are ready to keel over and die, managers stand rigid on the idea of swapping break times on this line. The day off policy is one of the most frustrating things ever, one person off at a time in a team of 20 is insane with compassionate leave a thing of fantasy and workers not allowed to go to family funerals because it inconveniences the airport. It all shows the lack of understanding that the place has for the teams that work their hardest, again you're told to just buck up and take it. With a great team and good morale a 12 hour shift can be bearable, with a bad team and uncaring managers it is like working in a concentration camp! Standard business policies are also flouted often, I knew of at least 3 manager/employee relationships that went on at the airport, with employees engaging in this practice getting preferential treatment; first pick of shifts, extra time off the list goes on. HR at the airport, where do I start; the time it takes from getting references to issuing a pass is ridiculous with some employees waiting 4 or 5 months before they get their access passes, at which point you will have been doing one job all day everyday, not in a typical 9 to 5 way but literally you will be stood in the same place saying the same thing over and over again and that is preparing passengers for travel. They also regularly get peoples pay wrong, and pay you under for your working hours, if you work here for the love of God keep track of your actual working hours because this will happen and you could be shafted, also make sure that you inform them of your resignation because they will avoid paying you your final wage for as long as they can. It also appeared that occasionally security staff would let people through to Air Side with uncompliant liquids or materials. I really hope that by reading this the Airport can learn from these points I have made because it really could be a fun place to work if it was managed correctly.

Advice to Management

Begin by caring about the welfare of your staff, dont play the staff off against eachother, canceling breaks in a twelve hour shift may not be illegal but it isnt condusive to a positive work environment; remember that.

Manchester Airports Group2015-10-24
  10. "Head of Procurement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

A company with real aspirations.

Cons

A need to address short comings. Mere geography is not enough to treat passengers poorly.

Manchester Airports Group2018-10-29