Manchester Metropolitan University Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Professor Malcolm Press

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work life balance, was working as a financial advisor to assist student for financial enquires (in 3 reviews)

• Good work/life balance with working hours (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff members waited weeks and months for responses to what were straight forward requests (in 3 reviews)

• Suggestions for improvement are frequently thwarted by internal politics and a strong resistance to change (in 2 reviews)

1. "On the up"

Pros

Great central Manchester location. A mix of old and new buildings. Fantastic support from your colleagues. An ambitious plan for both students and research.

Cons

Some of the staff are a bit prehistoric and set in their ways. Comms could be better to make sure everybody is in the know.

Advice to Management

Look after your people as they are your greatest asset.

2. "Very supportive environment. Great Manager."

Former Employee - Technical Services Manager in Manchester City Centre, England
    Former Employee - Technical Services Manager in Manchester City Centre, England

I worked at Manchester Metropolitan University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at MMU for 11 years and found it a very supportive place to work. No two days were the same. There was access to training for both me and the Team and my Manager had an open door policy. My immediate Manager was incredibly supportive and, along with my peer Manager group we worked as a Team and played to our strengths. As a member of a team of 60 Technicians, under my Manager's leadership, we became the "can-do" example of the University.

Cons

Commuting from Wigan is just far enough but you see a different side to people on public transport!

Advice to Management

All Managers should "walk the job".

3. "Financial Advisor"

Pros

work life balance, was working as a financial advisor to assist student for financial enquires.

Cons

Repetition work and staffs are there for a long long time, suitable for retirement age

5. "Sad treatment of staff"

I worked at Manchester Metropolitan University full-time

Pros

MMU in Crewe was a great place to work. There was a great community feeling and staff were very loyal with most staff members having worked there for a long time. They were of great support throughout the redundancy process.

Cons

The closure of the campus was handled appallingly and was utterly shambolic. Nothing had been thought through and there were no processes in place. Staff members waited weeks and months for responses to what were straight forward requests. Training was promised to make staff work ready for when applying for jobs externally, but this never happened. Staff who decided to leave for their own survival before their redundancy date lost their redundancy pay despite only leaving six weeks before! I have been through redundancy before, but it was nothing like this.
    It didn't help that the top two positions on the campus were held by staff members who would go into retirement after the closure of the campus and therefore didn't have a vested interest in the welfare of the staff and were far removed from those fighting to put a roof over their family's heads or food on the table.
    Student Experience was far more important to staff experience and management failed to see that student experience was not about planting sunflowers and the colour of the chairs in the canteen, but about making sure staff were invested in and buoyant to achieve student experience.

Advice to Management

Perhaps it's too late, but a human approach to the closure of the campus. Investing in the student community through investing in staff.

6. "Poorly run organisation that lets down the student experience"

Former Employee - Media Technician in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Media Technician in Manchester, England

I worked at Manchester Metropolitan University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The school of art/university has a diverse student cohort. The energy and passion is evident throughout the campus. It's located in a great place very near the city centre and transport links are well placed and convenient. The School of Art has some fantastic facilities, including old and new technology.

Cons

I didn't have a positive start or end to my brief time working here as a term time only employee. The HR department is in disarray and my contract and working hours were not clearly identified when I started work. I had to actively hound HR in order to find out what my entitlements and benefits were. Fast forward to the last week of the academic year and I was told that I owed extra hours that had to be worked off during the summer (I was term time only).

There are significant issues in the department I worked in (somewhere within the School of Art). Communication is minimal and there's not much done to ensure that everyone is on the same page. Very often important information wasn't circulated amongst team members, messages were often in the form of one line emails or verbal mentions. This resulted in the team being very reactive, inefficient and reliant on ad hoc problem solving - which isn't bad in itself, but the department is primarily a busy counter service and this had an adverse effect on the service provided.

The team doesn't work as a unit, but rather, as a group of individuals who work on their own. This had a negative impact on the day and night shifts, seasonal events (such as degree shows) and the overall experience of working in the department. As result, the service we were providing to students (and staff) could be incredibly slow, frustrating and fractious. The team have settled into bad habits and certain staff members were able to hide behind admin work at times, creating the illusion that they were working when basically they weren't pulling their weight. Some team members have been working here for so long that they've been ignored and left to do what they please, unmonitored. This invites an attitude of apathy and laziness.

A massive problem is the team's attitude: They can be aloof, arrogant and disrespectful towards both students and fellow staff. Incoming queries and emails were often treated as inconveniences. Certain students and staff were singled out as "trouble" - a huge problem considering this department is supposed to offer technical support and assistance. At the worst times, the team and the department was a hinderance and an obstacle for a student trying to organise a project, or a staff member trying to book out a TV.

All in all, I became incredibly frustrated with the team. Even the most basic things took a long time to address (it took 9 months for me to be added to a team calendar. It took 9 months to get a t-shirt that fit. It took 9 months for my contract and working hours to get finalised). Worst of all, when I took my concerns to my manager (who actually listened and took everything I said on board), I was reassured that all of these issues would be mitigated with the introduction of a new computer system and team member., which was just another way of passing the buck and not facing the real issues.

Advice to Management

Re-structure current staff: people are in the wrong roles. Particular team members are incredibly ambitious for themselves and can be very derogatory - weed these people out. Keep a close watch on the so called "customer service" and confront the lack of respect towards students and staff.

Bring in fresh people who want to help and assist. Cultivate an attitude of nurturing and support.

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at Manchester Metropolitan University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are supportive and stimulating. It's an ambitious environment where innovation is supported.

Cons

There's some resistance to change and a sense that if something has been tried once, it won't work again.

Advice to Management

Encourage innovators to think big, even if they have to start small

8. "Great student jobs"

Pros

Good Pay,
    Fun environment
    Great skill building for students

Cons

no cons found about working in student jobs for the university

Advice to Management

none

9. "Bar work"

Pros

Friendly staff, given a briefing at the start of a shift with current offers

Cons

Hours were shared between all staff which means you only got one shift every two weeks due to the high intake of staff

Advice to Management

Hire less staff and give more feedback on work

"Much changed and not for the better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I worked at Manchester Metropolitan University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good team spirit even though working without any support from the department's senior managers

Cons

Senior manager who could not build or develop the department
    No consistency in decision making
    Poor communications
    Blame culture - individuals targeted who then departed
    Fear amongst middle/senior managers that they would be next

Advice to Management

Change can be good but works better when colleagues are on board - take the time to explain

"I made a mistake coming here"

I have been working at Manchester Metropolitan University full-time

Pros

Good central location. Staff are mostly very friendly. Internal staff training courses are the best I've seen anywhere. There are some strong pockets of excellence and I sense that the executive understands the challenges they face, but I suspect they underestimate the strength of the resistance to change.

Cons

The HR department is an embarrassing shambles. In internal staff surveys, HR regularly rates lowest of all the service departments. Their systems and processes are broken, as you will quickly discover when you attempt to complete their online application form. The staff turnover in HR is very high and you rarely get to speak to the same person twice. They lose information and don't keep up with current legislation.

Across all the service departments, there is a common theme of problems not being resolved. People are happy to conduct endless meetings to discuss the problems, but commitment to action is rare. Perfection paralysis is endemic. Suggestions for improvement are frequently thwarted by internal politics and a strong resistance to change.

Over recent years there has been an overzealous rationalisation of the physical estate and this has left the university with a shortage of space and a strong reluctance by staff to relinquish their old campus identities and work practices.

The university is now trying to expand again but it has inadequate space to decant to while improvements are made to existing spaces. This puts increasing pressure on all staff who find themselves struggling with poor quality working spaces. Staff and students are increasingly shoe-horned into spaces that were never designed for such numbers.

I mentioned above that the internal training is first class, but that's where it ends. External training is largely unbudgeted for and getting approval is very difficult. You're made to feel like attending a conference is some kind of scam. The Professional Development Review process is largely a tick-box exercise that nobody takes seriously. Having said that, I've never worked anywhere with a successful staff development process.

Finally, and this may seem trivial, but as the old saying goes, an army marches on its stomach. The food here is dreadful. With so much vibrant competition from a wide variety of vendors all around the edges of the campus, you'd expect they'd rise to the occasion and make a competitive offer. Instead, the food is bland, tasteless and overpriced. It kind of sums they whole place up - yeah, we could do better, but hey, why bother.

Advice to Management

Malcolm, I sense you genuinely want to change things for the better, but man, have you got a job ahead of you!