Marina Maher Communications Reviews

Updated 17 Jun 2020

3.4
Marina Maher Communications Founder & CEO  Marina Maher (no image)
Marina Maher
Pros
  • "I am grateful to work at MMC and have enjoyed seeing the growth and accomplishments in just the year that I have worked here(in 21 reviews)

• "I do feel like upper management is listening to the junior employees and doing what they can to make the work/life balance as even as possible(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "The politics at MMC are some of the worst I've ever seen(in 12 reviews)

• "Management encourages work-life balance, but long hours are often necessary to get the job done(in 8 reviews)

1. "Account Executive"

I worked at Marina Maher Communications full-time

Pros

They had a diverse clientele

Cons

They had an open floor plan office

2. "A place to learn and grow"

4.0
    Current Employee - GSVP

I have been working at Marina Maher Communications full-time

Pros

Hugely collaborative environment--driven by team members that want to do their best work for clients. A place to learn--from influence marketing to audience analysis, there are so many aspects and nuances to our ever-evolving industry. It's great that MMC hires industry experts to upskill our teams and lead us forward.

Cons

Occasional late nights, but I find that with any agency.

"Game of Thrones, in real life"

I worked at Marina Maher Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I worked with were mostly very nice and very smart.

Cons

The politics at MMC are some of the worst I've ever seen! It's a real life version of Game of Thrones -- and it all starts at the top.

Continue reading

"Petty, catty environment, and mismanagement"

Former Employee - AAE in New York, NY

I worked at Marina Maher Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the pros about working at MMC? I hate to say it, but I think the only pros were the social events where food and drinks were served. MMC is all about making a big show, so these events were great. Otherwise, not much to say about the actual working environment.

Cons

MMC had terrible leadership management and an environment that didn't foster learning and advancement. Instead, the staff was incredibly petty, with many conversations about other employees happening behind closed doors about anything from workwear attire to office politics. I remember feeling like the only way to get an "in" for an advancement in my career was to brown-nose senior leadership. While MMC prided itself on being a company that was female-driven, and could empower women, I felt otherwise. There was one time senior leadership told me "to use my looks" in order to gain attention from upper management. In addition, my entire career trajectory was stunted when a rumor began that I had a romantic relationship with a more senior level employee at the company. Rather than having human resources reach out to me, conversations were had behind closed doors by senior leadership about me and my employment, a junior level employee. The rumor also affected my work relationships with both colleagues and managers, but no one even addressed the issue directly with me. The situation was mishandled and unprofessional, to say the least, and made me feel like my role and value at the company didn't matter. When it came to learning opportunities for junior level employees, all of the juniors were situated in one room, prohibiting open communication within teams and those who could help provide growth. I also remember being asked, "are you sure this job is for you?" as if my skill set didn't fit the role. I now am a senior account executive at a different agency, and realize that it wasn't my skill set, but the way the company refused to allow opportunities that would acknowledge or help juniors learn and grow. Not to mention, MMC also thought that it was okay to underpay me by $20,000 in comparison to not only the NYC average for those at my level in the industry, but also in comparison to coworkers at the same level. Following all that happened, MMC pulled me into an HR meeting where I learned I was being let go--there was no mention of the rumor that had begun, and no explanation as to why my role at the company was being terminated. I would never recommend anyone to work at MMC following my experiences there. From the catty staff, misguided leadership, false representation of its so-called values, and seeing other co-workers tormented and bullied by their own teammates to tears, MMC is a hell-hole for anyone wanting to establish a foundation for their career.

June 25, 2020Chief People Officer

We can unequivocally say that this is not representative of MMC today. Our HR team is trained and at the ready to address issues that are elevated. We are sorry to hear that your issues weren't appropriately raised so that we could have helped you. We have made such strides in establishing stronger career paths for our amazing junior talent and are proud to work with them in delivering essential skills and learning opportunities for them all. We are thrilled that in the last six months alone, 12 of our talented junior staff have been promoted to higher positions. We are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. We are happy to hear that you found a role and a company that's a good fit for you. We wish you well in your career.

5. COVID-19

"MMC is Today's Tomorrow"

5.0

I have been working at Marina Maher Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am grateful to work at MMC and have enjoyed seeing the growth and accomplishments in just the year that I have worked here. They do a good job trying to understand personal and professional goals and how to accommodate that within the agency. I do feel like upper management is listening to the junior employees and doing what they can to make the work/life balance as even as possible. Yes, there is stress and yes there is frenzy at times, but I think that the results are worth it. Especially in this uncertain time (COVID-19) I think that the agency is really doing all it can to help the employees - keeping them safe, working around child care needs and creating an environment of normalcy amid the chaos. It is appreciated and noted. Hoping to soon get back to the office. The push to really stand out and BE a next-gen agency is exciting and the forward thinking they are engaging is shaping the industry, not following it.

Cons

There has been a bit of turnover lately that has taxed the remaining employees so that is a continuing concern. A bit more constructive feedback from managers would help everyone meet goals and raise the tide.

April 29, 2020Chief People Officer

We are grateful to have you with us. We take great pride in listening to our staff and supporting professional growth/work-life balance as much as possible. Covid-19 has certainly added an extra dimension and we are happy to hear the measures we've put into place are making a positive difference. (By the way, we also can't wait to be back in the office all together!). Your advice is noted and helpful. Celebrating wins and learning from losses is key and leadership will continue to be transparent with information. One thing we have learned through this pandemic is that we are certainly in this together.

"Far Behind Competitors with Poor Leadership and Culture"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

- you get to work on household brand names - you are paid well - brag about the (meaningless) awards you get

Cons

- don’t take care of their employees well. Benefits are great to say, but at the end of the day the respect and trust isn’t there. Clients are always believed over employees. - bend over backwards for clients at any cost (and it’s a big cost) - trying to become “new and digital focused” but don’t know how to, don’t hire the right people, and fire those who have the ability to help - no employee growth. People get promoted with no new skill set to help grow accounts. Most don’t have goals. - very siloed with little collaboration - barebones creative department that can’t do a lot of necessary creative - huge brands with tiny budgets - management been at the company too long to understand what it’s like at a modern agency and what is needed. Office still feels like it’s in the 90s. - PR will always be the focus, no matter what they say - poor overall culture - so many politics and bureaucratic crap that boys down all work - among inter agencies, MMC has no respect or say in anything. Just waiting to be told what to do with the smallest budgets and shortest timeline - CEO inserts herself into projects she has no business being a part of. Extremely removed from what the current world looks like and just adds chaos to things. - very cliquey. If you aren’t in a group of people, you won’t feel like a part of the company - overall just not super smart, strategic or creative to go toe to toe with other agencies Go somewhere that values growth, new ideas, and staying ahead in this digital age

April 28, 2020Chief People Officer

I'm very sorry to hear your experience hasn't been positive so far. We pride ourselves on being a next-gen comms agency and evolving with the industry as it changes. Awards hold a great deal of value to our agency, our clients and the entire communications industry. We are extremely proud to have won 35 industry awards last year and to have been named a PRovoke "Agency of the Decade" this year. This honor reflects all of the growth and hard work MMC has committed to over the past 10 years. We will continue to meet the business needs of our clients including investing in creative and digital. As an employee of MMC, I ask you to please reach out to your manager or myself to discuss your concerns in more detail. We want to help both you and the agency be the best it can be. We are always here for you.

7. "Really happy"

5.0

Pros

Doing work that I love Working with a team of people who inspire me Learning something new every day Winning awards for the hard work we do Being rewarded in multiple ways Thoughtful, kind gestures that I appreciate!

Cons

Some people want to stay in the past and be part of what was. They are having a hard time with change and are making it harder for those that are pushing forward.

April 28, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for your kind words. We are so happy that you are happy.

8. "One-of-a-Kind"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Marina Maher Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Ability to learn from smart, passionate communications professionals in all areas (media, creative, strategy, analytics, brand) - Incredible range of top brands/clients in both consumer and healthcare - Talent is fostered and invested in through in house or offsite trainings as well as customized opportunities that reflect the passions and interests of the staff - Intern program is one of the best in the business and has led to numerous full time hires that are with the agency for years to follow - Continues to execute award winning programs year after year

Cons

- Agency is managing through a lot of turnover and changes in leadership, but is committed to embracing positive solutions to navigate through the change

April 28, 2020Chief People Officer

We appreciate your dedication of 10 years to the company. You have been with us through the changes and have seen us evolve to stay at the forefront of the industry. At the center of it all is our incredible talent who deliver tirelessly for our clients. Thank you for what you do!

"Losing on all fronts - talent / clients / business / reputation... Lying repeatedly to employees!"

I have been working at Marina Maher Communications

Pros

- Location - Formerly did good work with great clients

Cons

- Riddled with petty politics even at the highest levels - Several failed, half-baked attempts at catching up with the industry - Has some very incompetent people who've been repeatedly praised despite showing no results, extremely cliquey environment - Extremely arrogant despite repeatedly failing on all fronts while their competitors continue to take talent / clients / business from them - Most 5* reviews here are fake!

April 28, 2020Chief People Officer

As an employee, please come to talk to me our your Manager so we can figure this out with you.

10. "Strong team environment where collaboration is celebrated!"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

Pros

The teams that are here at MMC are extremely dedicated and passionate about the areas that they work in! That shines through in the work. It is no surprise that these teams have generated so much award recognized work in 2019! Additionally, the agency has dedicated specialists in various areas and are not just from PR backgrounds. Being able to turn to your left or right and speak with someone who is an expert in digital strategy, social strategy, data & analytics, or influencer engagement is a huge piece of what makes separates the work we do here from the rest of the industry.

Cons

No cons to report here.

Found 68 reviews