Marks & Spencer Cafe Customer Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.7
Marks & Spencer Chief Executive Steve Rowe
Steve Rowe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employees getting 20% staff discount (in 196 reviews)

• Good company good pay and many more (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • The company no longer pay much loved "double time" pay increase for working on a Sunday - unfortunately this has demoralised many members of staff (in 32 reviews)

• Unless you have a good line manager who informs about workshops available on the M&S website which is hard to find on your own (in 68 reviews)

1. "Ideal place to work whilst studying."

Current Employee - Cafe Customer Assistant (Cafe) in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Cafe Customer Assistant (Cafe) in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Marks & Spencer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent £8.50 wage.
    Flexible hours to work around uni timetable.

Cons

Customers... but thats the same in any customer service job

"Nice company to work for"

Former Employee - Cafe Customer Assistant in Stratford-upon-Avon, England
    Former Employee - Cafe Customer Assistant in Stratford-upon-Avon, England

I worked at Marks & Spencer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great discount
    - Good team and community spirit

Cons

- Not much room for growth within the company

"Review of cafe job"

Current Employee - Cafe Customer Assistant
    Current Employee - Cafe Customer Assistant

Pros

Good pay
    Flexible hours if that's what you're looking for

Cons

Long hours
    30 minute break despite 8 hour shift
    Poor management
    No chance to make friends with colleagues
    Constantly bossed around
    Often understaffed

Advice to Management

Create a more friendly environment amongs the employees
    Don't put so much pressure on someone just because the manager is not in store that day

5. "Solid training provided. Management extremley supportive, always involved with staff. Great teamwork."

Current Contractor - Cafe Customer Assistant in Merry Hill, England
    Current Contractor - Cafe Customer Assistant in Merry Hill, England

I have been working at Marks & Spencer as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional company, enjoy going to work every day.Found them to be very flexible and accomodating.

Cons

Would have liked more hours and a longer contract but this is not a fault of management, as the post was clearly statedvas part time Xmas work.

Advice to Management

Continue to mentor your staff as you do. Its extremley motivating to find a hands on management team

"Insultingly low starting wage"

Current Employee - Cafe Customer Assistant in Guildford, England
    Current Employee - Cafe Customer Assistant in Guildford, England

I have been working at Marks & Spencer (Less than a year)

Pros

Set two week shift patterns so you always know the hours you are to work. Colleagues are nice to work with

Cons

Despite having 9 years hospitality experience, I needed to be put on the base £7.20 p/hr because I've not been M&S cafe qualified previously.

Advice to Management

Communicate. On the first day of my induction I was taken to the cafe for an hour to observe how it is run. When I arrived the section coordinator who was MoD at the time had no idea anyone had even been hired. On the second day of my induction the women in charge of the induction failed to show up because she'd worked very late the night before.. No cover was arranged and until we went and found someone to ask what was going on., they had no idea there was a planned induction. We were then just taken to our respective areas in the store and put to work. It's two weeks later and they now want to complete the second day of induction despite working on the floor already. M&S is the definition of bureaucracy and the typical disconnect between how a store actually functions and how head office thinks it functions. COMMUNICATE.

7. "Weak management (Cheetham Hill store) but fair payment rate"

Current Employee - Café Customer Assistant in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Café Customer Assistant in Manchester, England

Pros

I made an interview as a Customer Advisor to work at the food hall, but at the end was invited to join the Café team, which I personally prefer. The rate of pay is slightly above similar jobs, which is good. Also, the job is easy to be performed and quick to learn. Dealing with customers is, most of the times, pleasant.

Cons

If you don't like to be always doing something and don't sit down throughout the shift, this is not the job for you!
    The management is very weak. They take some silly decisions, such as forbid a radio at the kitchen, arguing that it is a working environment. The section coordinator is every time asking to do something just to impose you subordination. The store manager often focus on silly aspects or tasks to be done instead of focusing on the overall team performance or client satisfaction and welfare.

Advice to Management

Read above

"Not bad, for retail..."

Former Employee - Cafe Customer Assistant in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Cafe Customer Assistant in Leeds, England

I worked at Marks & Spencer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slightly above average pay and some interesting benefits

Cons

High employee turnover and they hire "in batches" so they only re-hire after bleeding out half a dozen or so staff, leaving those that stay to pick up the slack.
    Easily observed nepotism on promotions.

Advice to Management

Don't wait so long to hire.
    Promote according to competence.

9. "Customer assistant"

Current Employee - Cafe Customer Assistant in Poole, England
    Current Employee - Cafe Customer Assistant in Poole, England

I have been working at Marks & Spencer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Calm and fast pace environment fell like your in a family

Cons

Not many opportunities in higher levels in hospitality when your part time

Advice to Management

More outside gatherings

10. "Cafe customer assistant"

Former Contractor - Cafe Customer Assistant in Manchester, England
    Former Contractor - Cafe Customer Assistant in Manchester, England

I worked at Marks & Spencer as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Was basically in walking distance about a 12 minute walk. I was on a temporary contract for 10/12 weeks and was paid weekly so was able to withdraw money on a weekly basis. As I worked in the cafe and did late shifts you got to eat any food that was about to be thrown away or was about to go out of date and they often put cakes, biscuits, crisp and fruit in the staffroom so you were well fed. Pay was pretty decent a little above minimum wage.

Cons

My contract was initially 25 hours which was fine for me I didn't want full time , my section co ordinator (the person who sorted out our shifts) asked me what was the most hours I was willing to do, I said around 32 hours and that I didn't want to do more than that because I had family responsibilities and had to juggle the comitments. I noticed my hours go up after that from 30 and then up to 45 hours she basically kept adding more and more and more even though I told her I didn't want to go over a certain amount. When I went to check my hours it turned out that I was doing the most out of everyone, even people that were actually on a full time contract. I was basically their skivvy and even when I did get time off I was always asked to come in to which I said no. If you are desperate for loads of hours then this is the job for you , if not they will just use you as a slave until you pass out. I lost so much weight whilst working here and had no energy whatsoever because I was actually doing the work. Whilst the permanent staff often just stood there and flapped their gums whilst I was working my fingers to the bone. When it came to the end of my contract , the manager said she wanted to extend my contract for 3 weeks. I told her my situation with the hours and how I wasn't listened to and that I couldn't continue to work there with the hour situation , as a manager I thought she would of comprised the situation and reduced the hours but all she said was 'okay' absolute joke!!!

Also there is a lot of gossping and backstabbing amongst the older members of staff , the older women will gossip and moan about everything and anything and nitpick about the dumbest things.If you do decide to apply for a job at M&S ask to go on sales floor do not go on cafe it will be the worst thing you do!

Advice to Management

Tell your section cordinators to not dump all the hours on one person. Split them out equally between all 15 members of staff.

"Fair company, very hard work"

Current Employee - Cafe Customer Assistant in York, England
    Current Employee - Cafe Customer Assistant in York, England

I have been working at Marks & Spencer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Marks and Spencer is a good company to work for, they train you for your role very well and they really do an effort to build a nice and welcoming working environment. The salary is reasonable and the management team is generally helpful and supportive when it comes to specific needs of the staff members. I only work part-time in a cafe, which is generally a good place to learn a lot, with many duties and responsibilities, and where every day is different. Customers tend to be generally polite and tidy.

Cons

Working in a cafe is really handwork; they ask you to do a lot, and because they are Marks and Spencer, customers tend to be really demanding and rigid in their requests. The day you finish your shift you just want to go home and have a rest, and you can hardly use the remaining hours of the day for any other activity.

Advice to Management

Management is generally good and polite, they tend to do the right thing and be really friendly with the employees. However, there are some exceptions and sometimes you can find a task-oriented manager that make your life a nightmare.