Marks & Spencer Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Marks & Spencer Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) Reviews

Updated 2 September 2017

Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp)

4.2
Marks & Spencer Chief Executive Steve Rowe
Steve Rowe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employees getting 20% staff discount (in 196 reviews)

• Good company good pay and many more (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • The company no longer pay much loved "double time" pay increase for working on a Sunday - unfortunately this has demoralised many members of staff (in 32 reviews)

• Unless you have a good line manager who informs about workshops available on the M&S website which is hard to find on your own (in 68 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Christmas Temp - Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) in Cheshunt, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) in Cheshunt, England

Pros

Good atmosphere, lovely people. Excellent staff discount available immediately. Flexible hours. Good work structure in the Foods department.

Cons

Extensive training. Organisational structure is far too big, no need for so many different managers or section co-ordinators.

Advice to Management

Consult each other when making decisions. Make a decision and stick to it.

2. "Nice Company"

Former Contractor - Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) in West Thurrock, England
    Former Contractor - Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) in West Thurrock, England

I worked at Marks & Spencer as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good company too work for, everything was very clear and the training prepares you as much as it can for the real thing.

Cons

Hard to secure permanent contract after temporary role, management are sometimes hard to approach although they are actually quite friendly once you get to know them.

Advice to Management

Be more approachable

3. "Great experience as a Christmas Temp Customer Assistant at M&S Manchester (Student at Uni of Manc)"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) in Manchester City Centre, England

I worked at Marks & Spencer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I only worked at M&S Manchester for a total of 4 months as a Christmas temp, but in that fairly short period I was made to feel so welcome and at home amongst the staff and the enormous store. The application and interview process, the training/induction process, and the actual shifts were thoroughly enjoyable due to the staff working there. Many of the staff had been there for decades, and had a lot of wise things to teach me. There was also such a huge range of ages, which was so lovely as we all got along so well - I was one of 4 university students working on my department at the time, and the ages of colleagues on the same department ranged all the way up to aged 60+. They became good friends in a very short amount of time, and many christmas cards/pressies were shared!

Even the customers were extremely pleasant, despite it being around the busy/stressful Christmas period. I found almost every customer shopping at M&S to be polite and respectable, with the obvious exception of a few stressed/impatient customers (due to it being xmas time).

There was always help/support if need be (from management/mentors), and a staff facebook group used to ask queries and upload pictures, but mostly to commend staff for great work which was always so nice to see, as well as encouraging. I also gained so much experience regarding stock/tills/money handling, etc. Staff discount was also an obvious benefit! (20% off everything)

I am still currently studying for my degree but would definitely consider going back to work as a Christmas temp customer assistant next year.

Cons

I can't fault the staff or the store at all - the only (very minor) downside to my time working there was that it was during the Christmas period at an extremely big and already busy store, so shifts were totally non-stop and fairly exhausting, due to the amount of customers flooding in each day. Still a rewarding and thoroughly enjoyable time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing Manchester store! Loved it

5. "Would NOT Recommend to anyone!!!"

Former Contractor - Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) in Bury St Edmunds, England

I worked at Marks & Spencer as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff Discount
    Canteen Free bread and Hot Drinks

Cons

Mistreatment of staff having them work in cold and unfit conditions. Management will not tell you until the day you walk in for you shift that you will be working on the tills next to the front door entrance of the store in the dad of winter. It is often 5-7 degrees! We had to beg for a mini heater that turned out to blow cold air. Our uniforms weren't suited to be working in such cold conditions and our hands would get so cold we couldn't bend them to hold money. They told us to just pull a coat from the shop floor on and use some touch screen gloves to try and keep warm! Totally and completely unacceptable! At one time during the Christmas period I spent 6 hours on the freezing cold tills by the door, customers felt extremely saddened and appalled that M&S makes so much but expects their employees to work in inhumane conditions with no appropriate uniform or heating!! Management can't be bothered as they sit in their offices all day having a laugh and keeping warm while we all freeze.

Advice to Management

Listen to and take care of your staff! Turn on the heating and stop being so tight, the way you treat your staff says miles of you as a company! I will never recommend or work there again! Blimey!

"Really bad"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) in Bath, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) in Bath, England

Pros

Some over time but it wasn't consistent and they lied to get you to work when they wanted not when you wanted

Cons

Really badly looked after, lied about contracted hours, changed the hours over Christmas I was contracted for, very bad management.

Advice to Management

Make sure when you get an employee to sign a contract you keep the hours they sign.

"Christmas Customer Assistant"

Former Contractor - Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) in Greenhithe, England
    Former Contractor - Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) in Greenhithe, England

I worked at Marks & Spencer as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to know great people working there. 20% staff discount - even on sale items. Special staff perks - offers available for outside M&S.

Cons

Lot of elder employees. You do not get a yes/no about being kept on. There wasn't much opportunity to socialise with colleagues - no events for Christmas staff

Advice to Management

Tell the temp staff whether they are being kept on or not. Add ways or events that all employees can attend.

8. "Sales assistant (Christmas temp) at Marks and Spencer"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) in Cardiff, Wales
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) in Cardiff, Wales

Pros

Good pay, nice staff, very reputable company, lots of opportunities, easy application process (no cv required), public holiday extra pay

Cons

Strict rules but overall not bad at al

Advice to Management

None