Found 2,170 of over 9K reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "The pay is good and the company treats you well which is one of the best things about working with M&S." (in 863 reviews)
- "Friendly staff and was very flexible" (in 504 reviews)
- "People there are nice and helpful" (in 431 reviews)
- "Most colleagues are friendly and personable; more of a 'we're all in this mess together' kind of friendship." (in 403 reviews)
- "Good Benefits and Discount" (in 208 reviews)
- "Poor management at time because too many managers on departments that they are not fit to run and just 'wig it'." (in 588 reviews)
- "Managers are rude and snobby" (in 430 reviews)
- "long hours( ot everyday) having a large amount of inventory buy low sales." (in 283 reviews)
- "We were not allowed an extra short break to warm up even working with no heating." (in 108 reviews)
- "Unsociable working hours." (in 76 reviews)
Reviews about "staff"Return to all Reviews
- 4.010 Mar 2021Retail Sales AssociateFormer EmployeeDouglas
as i helped over the xmas period, all the left over food was collected and the staff could take home all the extras they wanted which was a good perk
I worked the night shift so was very isolating hours, no radio was allowed (working for 6 hours in silence stoking shelves!!). Despite mentioning it to the manager my card to get into the building never worked which added stress to the job as i would have to wait around for someone else to arrive. Sparks cards were difficult to set up and no staff car park so often would spend half my wages just parking which is not good2
- 5.031 May 2021Customer AssistantCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearBristol, England
Right off the bat they were very forward and open about what they expected of you want what they thought you expected of them. The staff support team are on the ball and consistently helpful with anything I needed to help me get started
There’s very little to say about M&S negatively, everyone was welcoming and helpful and I’m thoroughly enjoying my time hereMarks & Spencer Response3y
Hi there, thanks so much for leaving such an amazing review – it’s lovely to hear that you enjoy working for us. Your happiness is really important to us and it’s great that your comments highlight the hard work that goes into making Marks and Spencer such a fantastic place to work. Marks and Spencer
- 3.023 Feb 2018Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee
Staff were helpful and motivated to perform their job to the best of their ability.
At the Preston Deepdale store, several members of the management team were rather hopeless. I witnessed management bully members of staff, it was quite evident some of them were on a power trip.
- 5.018 Nov 2022Customer AssistantFormer Employee, less than 1 yearEdinburgh, Scotland
All of the staff are really friendly and helpful for when you first start out.
Nothing, really enjoyed my time there.Marks & Spencer Response2y
Hi there, thanks for leaving us a review! We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! Marks and Spencer
- 2.01 Jan 2016Customer AssistantFormer Employee, less than 1 yearLisburn, Northern Ireland
20% staff discount and nominated discount cards straight away
Too many chiefs not enough indians! Management are often rude and condescending - one manager telling a fellow temp 'you're only here to fold clothes and put things away'. Irregular hours, constantly needing to check the rota daily. No job security, all young staff are only temporary and are just brought in when needed. Terrible training, expected to know everything from day 1 and treated as if you were dumb if you asked any questions. Temporary staff I worked with were lovely but the old permanent ones were often rude. No managers or supervisors bother to learn your name.
- 3.025 Sept 2019Customer Service AssistantFormer Employee, more than 10 yearsNewcastle, England
£9.00 an hour wages a decent pension scheme and share scheme. Choices website where you can buy different products at discount prices. 20% staff discount on M&S products. Great friendly staff made friends for life. Not really a hard job for what you have to do but pressure is, always there from management.
Managers emotionally blackmail you into doing what they want. Constantly changing your shift patterns with out telling you. Very backstabbing and gossiping environment. People go to management in confidence with in a few days your business is around the shop. Can't say hello to a fellow staff member without getting wrong and told to focus on customers. The company has change so much over the years to try and catch up with the times. The pressure the staff are put on is not necessarily what gonna help improve sales and get customers to shop. Treat your staff like humans and not a number and they will look after the customers1
- 4.028 Mar 2016Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee
Learn something new everyday (especially where i work on the customer service desk) and most of the staff are absolutely great and helpful
Can get very quiet if you work late at night and some jobs (i.e stacking shelves or tidying clothes) though necessary, are very tedious.
- 4.017 Oct 2019Marks and Spencer AssistantCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearPudsey, England
Staff are helpful if you get stuck and always give you ideas when needing to upsell
Hours can be changed without more than a week notice
- 4.03 Jan 2019Customer AssistantFormer Employee, more than 1 yearBicester, England
I enjoyed working at Marks, everyone is really friendly and they really make you feel like part of the team. Good pay especially as I was 18 when I started and many companies like to take advantage of that, but at M&S I got paid the same as everyone else. Most the time they let me stay on the till because they knew I enjoyed carrying out that work. They have excellent benefits such as 20% staff discount and offers on cinema tickets etc through Perks at Work
The hours can be very early or very late, with 6am starts and 8pm finishes. Everyone is contractually made to work saturdays
- 2.019 Aug 2021Customer AssistantFormer Employee, more than 3 years
The pay and the staff discount, some friendly staff members.
Don’t treat their staff very well and then they wonder why they have such a high turnoverMarks & Spencer Response3y
Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the benefits we offer! We're disappointed to hear the concerns you’ve raised. The health and wellbeing of our colleagues has always been our priority at Marks and Spencer. This doesn’t sound like the way we do things at Marks and Spencer and we'll make sure your comments are fed back. Marks and Spencer