Marks & Spencer Employee Reviews about "working hour"
68% would recommend to a friend
(305 total reviews)
76% approve of CEO
Found 305 of over 9K reviews
Updated 5 Dec 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "The pay is good and the company treats you well which is one of the best things about working with M&S." (in 863 reviews)
- "Friendly staff and was very flexible" (in 504 reviews)
- "People there are nice and helpful" (in 431 reviews)
- "Most colleagues are friendly and personable; more of a 'we're all in this mess together' kind of friendship." (in 403 reviews)
- "Good Benefits and Discount" (in 208 reviews)
- "Poor management at time because too many managers on departments that they are not fit to run and just 'wig it'." (in 588 reviews)
- "Managers are rude and snobby" (in 430 reviews)
- "long hours( ot everyday) having a large amount of inventory buy low sales." (in 283 reviews)
- "We were not allowed an extra short break to warm up even working with no heating." (in 108 reviews)
- "Unsociable working hours." (in 76 reviews)
Reviews about "working hour"Return to all Reviews
- 4.027 Feb 2018Commercial ManagerFormer Employee, more than 1 year
Great rotational retail graduate scheme (covering Finance, Operations, General Merchandising, Food, Visual Merchandising) . Support from experienced professionals on each placement and empowerment to take ownership throughout. Be prepared to fit the requirements of the business at any given time and use this to your advantage. E.g holiday cover, line management cover. It's great experience. Good starting salary which is reviewed appropriately. Staff and corporate discount. Good "perks" however not many employees take advantage.
The 'retail lifestyle'. It's no fault of M&S however be prepared for working Saturdays and long hours dependent on store. Appraisal / bonus system. Not to be confused! The bonus itself I believe to be generous however the scale on which it is worked out down to your personal performance rating is questionable. Progression through bands is hard due to the size of the pool you start in as a store/commercial manager.
- 3.014 Jul 2019Cashier/RunnerFormer Intern, less than 1 yearRoyal Tunbridge Wells, England
Gives great experience when working with others and being surrounded by the general public
Was never too clear what my hours where and when I was working as manager never e-mailed or texted, had to guess a few times.
- 3.09 Jan 2019Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee
Working hours are good and can be changed if needed
Management constantly ontop of staff putting them under unneeded pressure
- 5.07 Sept 2017Customer ServiceCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearExmouth, Devon, South West England, England
Lovely place to work. lovely colleagues and my section manager Amy is incredible, we all respect her enormously. Good working hours and a continual variation of my Job role means time goes quickly and without an ounce of boredom.
My temp contract keeps getting renewed rather then giving me a perm one.
- 5.029 Nov 2021Customer Services RepresentativeFormer Employee, less than 1 yearGateshead, England
Flexible working shifts and hours.
Pressured work load around Christmas.Marks & Spencer Response3y
Hi there, thanks for leaving us a review! We're usually really busy at Christmas, so thank you for all your hard work. If colleagues feel overloaded we'd advise them to please talk to their Line Manager to find a solution together. Marks and Spencer
- 3.022 Aug 2019Branch ManagerFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsLondon, England
Staff discount at mands..retail environment
Long working hours and weekends..bank hols etc..working on shop floor too
- 5.022 Nov 2023Customer ServiceCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearEaling, England
Really enjoyed working here whilst studying for my A Levels. Flexible working hours and was able to add additional hours over busier periods (e.g. Christmas). Enjoyed employee benefit of 20% off everything.
Bigger company so less connection with other members of staff- particular more senior individuals.Marks & Spencer Response2w
Hello and thank you for sharing your experience of working with us while studying for your A-Levels. We're delighted to hear that our flexible working hours and the additional opportunities during busier periods, along with our employee benefits, supported your needs well. Your point about the connection with other staff members, particularly those in senior roles, is important feedback. We understand the value of a connected team and will look into ways to enhance interaction across all levels. Marks and Spencer
- 4.022 Sept 2022Coffee Shop AssistantFormer Employee, more than 1 yearBradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England
20% staff discount Good rate of pay uniform provided
Additional working hours are expectedMarks & Spencer Response2y
Hi there, thanks for leaving us a review! It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the benefits we offer. We appreciate your feedback. Marks and Spencer
- 4.024 Mar 2021Customer AssistantFormer Employee
- understanding of my available working hours and I was able to work around my uni hours without a hassle - they pay well, good if you're a full-time student - was able to get extra hours during Christmas and busier months
- certain managers aren't so understanding and their ways of managing were questionable
- 5.017 Nov 2021Customer AssistantCurrent EmployeeDouglas
very good to their employees and very flexible with working hours
some periods of time can be understaffed and makes life hardMarks & Spencer Response3y
Hi there, thank you for leaving us a review. It's lovely to hear that you think we are very good to our employee's. Your happiness is really important to us and it’s great that your comments highlight the hard work that goes into making M&S such a fantastic place to work. We appreciate your feedback. Marks and Spencer