Mars Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Grant F. Reid

1,397 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "There is probably more the company can do to improve work/life balance" (in 67 reviews)

• "Maybe speed of decision- making - I wish we were a bit faster and agile" (in 37 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Brands and a culture that are pretty unique - and free chocolate!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Marketing in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Mars part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Collaborative culture
    5 Principles, which are lived day in day out
    Brands
    Focus on personal development
    Benefits including pension, on-site gym, free chocolate allowance, flexible working.

Cons

Big organisation so sometimes slow decision making
    Investment in systems and technology hasn't been a huge priority

Advice to Management

Keep investing in people

Mars Response

15 Oct 2018

Hi. Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review of your current role with us. It’s really pleasing to see that you highlight a number of positives, including our collaborative culture... More

2. "Review"

I worked at Mars full-time

Pros

Shared values and principles
    Great leadership

Cons

Slow decision making
    Location of offices

Mars Response

15 Oct 2018

Hi. Thanks for your feedback on the previous role you held here at Mars. It’s great to see you’ve highlighted a few positives of your time here, including great leadership and our shared values and... More

3. "R&D career review"

Former Employee - R&D in Slough, Buckinghamshire, South East England, England
    Former Employee - R&D in Slough, Buckinghamshire, South East England, England

I worked at Mars full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work for, lots of flexible working

Cons

Sometimes hard to progress internally as there are interviews needed for promotions

Advice to Management

Promote from within before considering externally

"Trigger Happy"

Former Employee - BDM
    Former Employee - BDM

I worked at Mars full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Mars Bars
    Nice Car
    Good Wage

Cons

Appauling management
    Extremely long notice period
    No support offered to BDM's
    unrealistic targets

Advice to Management

Look at yourselves as the problem and not everyone else beneath you. I was part of a team of 4. Only one now remains along with the sales manager. Their seem disinterested with people leaving as they will just employ more. Good Luck.

"Mixed Emotions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Mars full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Mars allows you to work with great people - and some very experienced people. The development aspect is constant and not just rhetoric.
    They are very good with basic flexibility; starting early/finishing late and working from home can be an option although it is based on line management approval.
    Benefits are pretty good with the pension scheme being exceptional.
    There are always a lot of projects going on and you will never be bored!
    There is a lot of focus on engagement and well-being.

Cons

Unfortunately, line management at Mars changes a lot and can be very varied - I had 3 line managers in my first 18 months. There are a lot of challenging line managers and even if multiple people complain, nothing is done.
    Fundamental flexible working is not great with multiple people being refused the option; if you are not in the right position, level or in with the right people, it won't happen. Whilst the benefits are great, base salary leaves a lot to be desired.
    Trying to get promoted in Mars is really difficult; it is even challenging to go horizontally. They put you in boxes through an annual leadership review and you get no real say in it. It is through this where they decide whether you are leadership potential or not.
    Trying to get things done is a nightmare - sometimes you have/want to be incredibly quick but the red tape and collaboration means that it is difficult to be quick. It can take months to do things that should only take a few days. Sometimes, you are close to the end and your project is deprioritised and all your work is wasted which is incredibly disengaging.
    Whilst there is a focus on engagement, it is about numbers and exercise - I think it use to mean something but it has lost its focus.

Advice to Management

Really look at your line managers - are they fit for purpose? The move to Ts/Ps was good as it meant people could be promoted without being line managers. But in actual fact, it hasn't really worked. People don't really complain about their line managers as nothing is done when they do. There are a lot of line managers that should not be in their position.
    Also really think about flexible working - you are a large enough organisation to be able to fulfil. You are losing a number of good people because of your lack of ability to flex.
    Also really think about engagement - it goes beyond the annual survey. Think about what makes people tick. Loads of people are disengaged because the company doesn't move fast, their projects are deprioritised after a lot of work which is subsequently not recognised and line managers that are not fit for purpose.
    Continue with the five principles, this is the strength of the company. But be careful of the culture - I get it needs to change, but it is not changing for the better.
    I would look at compensation and benefits - buy and sell holidays, proper discount scheme (associate offers is not maintained or very good) and tell more about how good the pension scheme is.

6. "Mars Petcare"

Current Employee - Demand Planner
    Current Employee - Demand Planner

I have been working at Mars full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture. Given the trust and freedom to get on with your work and deliver what you need to. Great people work at Mars and you will feel immediately comfortable. Somewhere you could spend your whole career working

Cons

Progression can be slow and complex. You will need to be very specific about the next role you are interested and put a lot of time in to work towards it.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible and able to spot talent and really help move people on into new and exciting roles.

7. "sales"

I worked at Mars full-time

Pros

Given great independence to deliver against targets

Cons

Need support from strong line manager to gain promotion

8. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Mars full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work- life balance
    Training
    Package
    People

Cons

Travel to Slough on a monthly basis
    Systems can sometimes prevent freedom

9. "In a period of flux"

I have been working at Mars full-time

Pros

great people, fair, transparent. good international opps

Cons

in a period of flux due to merger.

10. "Mars Drinks"

I worked at Mars full-time

Pros

Opportunity to transition between segments. Clear career progression pathway.

Cons

Culture can be very against change.

Advice to Management

Embrace new ideas and management styles.

Showing 1,397 of 1,531 reviews