Marsh & McLennan Agency Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

David Eslick

"Slow to change"

Former Employee - Client Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

- work from home one day a week (if manager approves) - lots of free food YUM - new office - completely renovated - most of the people are really pleasant and great friends - wants to improve culture and is trying

Cons

- everything depends on your manager, if you have a manager that has high turnover, which is most open positions, you will probably have a bad time - slow to change, there is a lack of adaption to a newer generation, they are trying but it takes forever to get anything approved - slow to promote, takes about 2-3 years to get promotes with minimal pay increases - low pay for the amount of work you have - lack of training - lack of consistency between departments - very old school, work your way up and get treated poorly until you can work your way up 10 years later - culture lacks transparency - It doesn't matter how many times you go to HR, they aren't there for you. They are there to protect the company and those that are mistreating employees - pays low and unequally ( This did not affect me, however, it did affect my colleagues) - harassment can happen, document everything. This happened to not only me, but also multiple employees in similar roles. Seems like the "bottom line" is not appreciated

Advice to Management

Start looking at why there is so much high turnover, train and promote employees! They will be so happy and feel appreciated. A true leader works for their employees, and doesn't degrade them when they dont do what they want. I had multiple managers and ran into the same issues, which tells me its more of a culture issue. In a bull market, you need to be competitive to retain talent, if not, high turnover will keep on getting higher. In addition, when someone has the courage to be transparent about the issues they are facing at work, do something about it. Make them feel heard and valued, dont use it as a way to protect the company but instead, use it as a way to IMPROVE the company. It has potential, you need to act on that potential.

Marsh & McLennan Agency2019-12-18
  2. "great place, not sure of direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time for less than a year

Pros

opportunity to maneuver around the organization, plenty of resources

Cons

salaries tend to be lower than competitors, leadership is not approachable

Advice to Management

say hello to your sales people when you pass them by... they are the drivers of your revenue

Marsh & McLennan Agency2019-10-25
  3. "Not a bad agency to work for. One work from home day. Good people. Pay could be better."

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Agency

Pros

PTO Work from home day Good head of office

Cons

Not that much room for growth due to nature of the business

Advice to Management

Throw in an extra pto day and don’t give people grief if they take a slightly longer lunch or are off by a few minutes

Marsh & McLennan Agency2019-10-09

"Raleigh NC Leadership Poor"

Former Employee - Vice President in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Clients - the Beach Trip

Cons

The lack of authenticity is unparalleled in the Raleigh, NC office. No or untruthful communication. Outright untruths from leadership, HR does NOT support the employees, driven by dollars not good work for clients. Leadership plays favorites unashamedly. Good workers are not recognized while favorites are promoted without earning it. Oppressive and unhealthy at best.

Advice to Management

Wake up and see who the puppeteers are and eliminate them. They are a cancer.

Marsh & McLennan Agency2019-10-21
  5. "Associate Broker - long ramp up long term rewards"

Current Employee - Associate Broker in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great flexibility in work life balance. Unlimited PTO. Unlimited growth potential ($$$) if you commit to sales. Work as a local insurance agency but with global resources.

Cons

Long time to get started. Everyone agrees that it’s at least 2 or 3 years before it really starts taking off. Technology not great

Advice to Management

Focus on Technology and pay your Service teams better. If you don’t create a great experience for the client, they will move to one of the new “online” brokerages that has easy accessibility to policies and certificates.

Marsh & McLennan Agency2019-09-04
  6. "DON’T DO IT"

Former Employee - Client Manager in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Plenty of parking on weekends

Cons

This was the worst experience of my life working at MMA. Management is outdated; they are behind a door all day and won’t give one minute of training. If they do, it will be for 15 minutes and they will wait a whole month into your buried desk so you are behind from the start without a clue on how to use the computer systems, which is critical for success. This will give you no choice but to work long hours and come in on weekends to stay that A+ employee you strive to be. Don’t call out sick otherwise you can expect to get in trouble for not doing your work that comes up during your sick day, (yes, you’ll be frowned upon for not doing the work on your sick day when you were out sick). There may be 1 or 2 compadres that give you just enough strength to keep showing up to work everyday, and thank God for those folk who just might help you get through the long and dark nights in the office, but sadly, those people probably won’t be the ones you get to work with. Did I mention the chairs have no arm chairs? Long nights ahead. As an Account Manager, Client Manager, Client Administrator, Client Manager II, you will be responsible for every single endorsement and certificate that goes out every day which will make it absolutely impossible for you to focus on high level marketing and client business development, let alone career development. You might as well call the job a sugar coated assistant, because you will always be issuing handfuls of difficult certificates and peer reviewing every single email your assistants draft, Every Single Day. Talk about no time for the clients or client executives. It’s almost guaranteed you’ll spend all of your Saturdays and Sundays at the office, missing late night work outs or family dinners because you care so much about the clients, and even when the clients love you, well, Management doesn’t care and instead will allow one employee to influence the way they view you and there begins the start of a potentially very hostile work environment at MMA. If you’re not ready to work 60 hours a week, including weekends, and be at MMA on a Saturday to help the new-to-insurance sales reps bind their binders, I really wouldn’t do it.

Advice to Management

Don’t let one person influence you into thinking the worst about someone. HR absolutely needs to train management on this painful problem.

Marsh & McLennan Agency2019-10-08
  7. "Howalt Sioux Falls"

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Agency

Pros

Free booze on Friday’s and a lot of drinking after work on the company credit card.

Cons

Horrible leadership after they were bought by Marsh.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone and start fresh.

Marsh & McLennan Agency2019-08-31
  8. "Professional"

Current Employee - Client Service Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people of MMA really know their stuff. You are guaranteed to work among the best in the industry.

Cons

You better be ready to get up to speed and keep up, because the business is a booming!

Advice to Management

None

Marsh & McLennan Agency2019-07-11
  9. "Good company"

Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time

Pros

Nice culture overall. Nice people.

Cons

Male dominated. Some old employees too proud of themselves.

Marsh & McLennan Agency2019-06-18

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Livonia, MI

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They offer great opportunities to learn and grow. My coworkers are helpful and easy to work with. I feel like local management really cares and wants to make our office an even better place to work. With only 40 people in the office, it's a great combo of a tight knit workplace with the benefits of a major corporation at the same time.

Cons

We are a small office in a large corporation- so sometimes we have to go by corporate decisions and procedures that are more complicated than they used to be. (Accounting, technology updates, etc.)

Advice to Management

I think we are on the right path, so keep it up .

Marsh & McLennan Agency2019-03-07