Mazars Auditor Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Mazars Chairman & CEO Philippe Castagnac
Philippe Castagnac

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Minimum work life balance during peak season" (in 19 reviews)

• "Les horaires de travail sont tr" (in 32 reviews)

1. "Good"

Current Employee - Audit School Leaver in Leicester, England
    Current Employee - Audit School Leaver in Leicester, England

Pros

Friendly, helpful supporting Students easing change from School life. They form a Personal relationship, understanding. Help whenever needed. Friendly atmosphere!

Cons

Too much pressure at times as you have to balance work life and study for the qualifications and prioritise your time

Advice to Management

N/a

2. "Audit Senior - Milton Keynes"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Mazars full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic group of people to work with and get along with socially. This makes for a really good team atmosphere in the audit department. As the firm sits in the mid tier, the level of exposure you get as trainee is superior to a big 4 accounting firm. Within a year you could be leading engagements. The managers have faith in their juniors and seniors and this allows for greater levels of responsibility and an early stage. The salary is also competitive compared to rival firms and similar roles. In recent years the firms is doing more in terms of social events. The work life balance is also very good.

All in all it is a fantastic place to train and achieve your ACA.

Cons

Although the pay is competitive compared to rival firms and similar roles, it is not competitive when compared against roles in industry. The pay structure is fairly rigid so this is unlikely to change. The firm can be too London centric and neglect it's smaller regional offices.

Advice to Management

Look at introducing additional incentives to keep recently qualified seniors at the firm, not necessarily cash incentives. Also ensure regional offices are not left in London's shadow, the MK office is far lower spec than the London office.

3. "RAS Internal Auditor"

Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Mazars full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities, good salary whilst training, lots of social activities and charitable works to get involved with.

Cons

Large amount of travel, lots of independent working.

"Internal Auditor for 2 years"

Former Employee - Internal Auditor in London, England

I worked at Mazars full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Exposure to various audits and clients
    - Assistant managers, managers and Senior Managers are great
    - Friendly colleagues
    - Graudate scheme is just a passport scheme

Cons

- Significantly underpaid.
    - Any requests to decision makers are ignored.
    - Utilisation has become an even larger focus the last year and constant pressure on everyone to charge as much to the client as possible without considering real life issues that audits encounter.
    - Whilst they can praise you to the moon and back that’s as far as it goes, no actions to mirror the words.
    - Tech problems result in slow/lost work and adds to the utilisation pressure as the higher ups divert the pressure of those issues onto the auditors.

Advice to Management

Move away from the rigidity that Mazars has and adapt and listen on a human level. I loved the company when I started and despised it when I left because of the slow decay in faith in the higher ups. When it comes to AM/Managers/Senior Managers do amazingly for the cards they’re dealt but they’re the ones that suffer from employees leaving as a result of the structure problems. Keep the ‘lower downs’ aware and informed of bigger decisions otherwise it looks like there’s no change and people will jump ship.

"Audit"

Former Employee - Senior Auditor in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Auditor in London, England

I worked at Mazars full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None I can think of as pros

Cons

Terrible culture, poor management, bad work-life balance

6. "good"

I have been working at Mazars full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

culture, atmosphere, Diversity, Range of clients,

Cons

Difficult progression, limited travel, not much contact with senior management

7. "Not bad for getting your foot through the door"

Current Intern - Internal Auditor in London, England
    Current Intern - Internal Auditor in London, England

I have been working at Mazars as an intern

Pros

Good work/life balance, training support for a professional qualification, opportunities for client exposure and early responsibility.

Cons

Remuneration at junior levels tends to be 1-3k lower than similar roles elsewhere, and in my experience, colleagues were perhaps not the most motivated or ambitious.

8. "Blank"

I have been working at Mazars full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance and approachable managers and partners.

Cons

Small clients at a regional level.

"The means to an end if there's no other option"

Former Employee - Internal Auditor in London, England

I worked at Mazars (More than a year)

Pros

Helps towards gaining a qualification. It's a means to an end

Cons

Management are only focused on cost cutting; their business strategy is to hire graduates, and let their experienced hires leave. What this means is that the quality of work reduces year upon year, training of graduates is haphazard and lower level staff are shouldering responsibilities way above their job descriptions resulting in working in evening and weekends.

Lack of team spirit; management provides no funds for team building exercises, away days, or encourages team drinks. We work alone on every audit and can go weeks without seeing anyone from the actual company as we travel to client sites all day every day.

Remuneration; This is just... abysmal.

Benefits package; You start on 20 annual days leave a year, only increasing once you become qualified or become part of management. Sick leave or study leave COUNT towards your utilization rate, so be careful of taking too many or you'll get a stern talking to.

Study package; 90% of my year and the years below have resorted to paying out of pocket for extra resources not provided by the company as what is provided does not produce good pass rates. This equates to approx £140 extra spend PER EXAM. We have spoken to management multiple times, but you know. Cost cutting.

No recognition of work; Management are hesitant to put people up for recognition awards, and even when relevant people are nominated, they wont win unless top management favours them. (This was what I was told by my direct manager)

Audit quality; Time budgets are laughably tight, and do not account for if your audit is delayed due to client delays. You will have to suck it up and catch up in your own time. If you have a nil assurance audit with 30 recommendations, you can be sure that you'll still get the same amount of time to conduct the audit as you would do if you found 0 recommendations. More seasoned and jaded staff may be inclined to look the other way and hand in a report which they can actually finish on time. There's no way to get a good quality, accurate report if you continue to stick to barebones time constraints.

Advice to Management

The only advice I can give is to read the Cons list, of which I have described in great detail on my Exit questionaire (which I doubt anyone has actually read).
    I was not even provided with the standard Exit meeting from HR (this was overlooked as they were too busy) so I requested one from management direct. I brought up everything mentioned as above, and I got the response that these are all areas everyone knows about, but will not change because this is the company's business strategy and that's unfortunately how it'll stay.

"A Top-10 firm unable to compete with the others"

Current Employee - Auditor in London, England
    Current Employee - Auditor in London, England

I have been working at Mazars full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is good ownership of work at Mazars- from day one I was thrown in at the deep-end. From planning to reporting, they gave me a lot of responsibility.
    Amazing offices in London- great view of the Tower of London and the City

Cons

Salary isn't competitive- hard to justify staying there given other company offerings.
    Not much of a tone from the top- very little culture.
    New people coming in were of a much lower quality- carrying a lot more weight

Advice to Management

Pay your staff what they deserve- and give management the flexibility to do this.
    HR are shocking and noone seems to know who does what- whenever I needed some help with something I was pointed ten different ways.