McGraw Hill Reviews

Updated 9 May 2021

3.9
McGraw Hill President and CEO  Simon Allen (no image)
Simon Allen
Pros
Cons
  • "upper management would never be hired in management elsewhere(in 31 reviews)

• "Abrupt mass layoff annually without any prior notice; no standard of work; no work-life balance(in 19 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "A personal review of recruitment process"

5.0
    Former Employee - Job Applicant

I worked at McGraw Hill full-time

Pros

I can't speak as a current or past employee as I didn't get the role I applied for. However, in particularly stressful times for so many job seekers and recruiters alike I can point out that the conversations I had with McGraw Hill's recruitment and hiring manager were open, straightforward and respectful. In particular Craig Haward (Talent Acquisition Partner EMEA) provided useful feedback in a follow up call, which is pretty rare for recruiters to do. A positive experience that will be a help in the next, hopefully few, interviews - practice makes perfect.

Cons

Well, of course I didn't get the role, so they will have to struggle on without me for a bit.

Continue reading

"2018 was the year when everything collapsed"

Former Employee - Head of Marketing in London, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at McGraw Hill full-time for more than a year

Pros

As one of the big four academic publishers there is a chance to work with some great EdTech products that have the potential to make a huge difference in teaching and learning.

Cons

- Most of the revenue comes from print products/ textbooks which is a market in decline, so there will always be pressure to try and hit impossible and unrealistic revenue targets. - Marketing is seen as a service function that is often blamed when things go wrong, despite not having the power or authority to actually make a difference to the business. - Very little chance for promotion and little investment in peoples training and development. - Bullying and blame game culture from leaderships favourites who seem to get away with it. - No-one knows how revenue targets have been set, sales don't know what their target is until it's too late and early invoicing at the end of the year just puts everyone under pressure for the next year.

March 2, 2021Talent Acquisition

Thank you for providing feedback that will help us continue making an impact. We appreciate you letting us know about your experience with leadership and growth opportunities. We take these concerns seriously and will share your feedback with the relevant teams so we can improve. Thank you again, and best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

3. COVID-19

"Caring, open and market-leading organisation"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

I have been working at McGraw Hill full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's an organization that focuses on improving the science of learning - this, in itself, creates a culture of kindness, giving-back, and innovation to improve the lives of learners. This is demonstrated with the companies focus on digital, online, and adaptive learning solutions - so important in the world we live in today. During 2020, to ensure that the employees were managing and focusing on their own health during the pandemic, the company offered 5 additional vacation days throughout the year. This was such a nice, and needed, gesture.

Cons

Very difficult to add a comment here.

April 2, 2021Talent Acquisition

At McGraw Hill, we welcome feedback because it helps us learn and grow. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience, especially the new "Chill Days"! Thanks for being a member of our team.

4. "Pros and cons"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in London, England, England

I have been working at McGraw Hill full-time for more than a year

Pros

Steep learning curve, great to be upskilled rapidly

Cons

Excessive, workload. Not sustainable long-term

5. "Analyst"

4.0
    Former Employee - Investment Analyst in London, England, England

I worked at McGraw Hill full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good managers and good salary

Cons

None - fun work environment and not long hours

January 5, 2021Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your feedback! We are glad to hear you enjoyed working at McGraw Hill. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

"General review"

Current Employee - Academic Consultant

I have been working at McGraw Hill full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team spirit, flexible work schedule, positive and direct communication with the management

Cons

Difficult career growth, low salary, not a great work/like balance. There is not a clear which leads a lack of organization in some business functions

January 5, 2021Talent Acquisition

At McGraw Hill, we aspire to grow. Thank you for leaving feedback so we can continue to improve. We're glad you enjoy your team, flexibility, and management. We'd like to learn more about your experience with career growth and work/life balance. If you want to share further feedback, please email talentacquisition@mheducation.com. Thank you for being a part of our team!

7. "Great mission and purpose, but with various challenges in transitioning from publisher"

4.0
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England, England

I worked at McGraw Hill full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some very dedicated and talented people working at MHE with a huge amount of experience Good autonomy and scope to collaborate across the global business Great products and great opportunity to earn good commission as there is a lot of opportunity if pitched appropriately. Good new senior management who have brought more balanced approach to direction of travel as a business

Cons

Strategy has changed drastically several times (as have all publishers) and as a result there has been a high turnover of people. Can be a slightly political environment with many decisions being based on rumour and popularity rather than an evidence based meritocracy

November 14, 2019Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your thoughtful review and suggestions. We appreciate and value your feedback, and will use it so we can improve. Thanks for being a member of our team and best of luck in your future endeavors!

"Not a great work culture and environment"

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in Maidenhead, England, England

I have been working at McGraw Hill full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Competitive salary - Working with international teams

Cons

- Dont care for the employees personal development & growth - Sombre work environment. People don't talk and interact and there are rarely any team building activities or outings.

March 19, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear your thoughts about growth and development at McGraw-Hill, and we'd love to get your feedback on how we can improve in this area. We offer a wide range of free professional development courses and our Stretch Forward mentorship program is encouraged for all employees. Please email us at talentacquisition@mheducation.com with any further feedback you have so we can continue to improve these programs. Thank you!

"Take your talent elsewhere, it will be lost here."

1.0

I worked at McGraw Hill full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Some great people, who believe in the vision and work too hard for it - Market leading products (although the gap is closing/closed fast) - Huge opportunity to disrupt the market

Cons

- Losing revenue, losing talent, losing market share, losing opportunity - Toxic culture that is holding the company back - Incredibly poor leadership at the President level in Higher Ed and International which pervades down - poor leaders promoting poor leaders because they're all 'yes' people who like to be agreed with and fawned over - Bullying behaviour is common, and HR prefers to blame the person being bullied than take action to prevent it - how much talent do you have to lose because of one individual before it stops? Take a step back and look at the bigger picture, then rethink promoting and relocating toxic people into more senior roles where they can infect more and more people - Weak to non-existent strategy - trying to turn the clock back to how the company used to be run when the market has moved on is never going to be a winning strategy - Inability to build disruptive products internally, the engineering teams are at capacity and cannot deliver when priorities are split across the business - Teams, especially sales, set in their ways and refuse to capitalise on the opportunity to disrupt the market because it's different to what they've done before and change is hard

October 30, 2019Talent Acquisition

Thank you for providing your feedback. As reflected in our core values, we respect and honor the opinions of all of our employees. As you may recall, one of our core values is "Speak Out," in which we encourage employees to openly and candidly share their views. We take your observations very seriously and would like to learn more. If you have an issue that was not addressed when you were employed here, please reach out to us so we can take the appropriate steps to resolve the matter. If you are willing to provide more information, please email us at talentacquisition@mheducation.com. Cengage and McGraw-Hill are joining to create a new global learning company to provide students with more affordable access to superior course materials and platforms. The new company will positively impact the lives of millions of students globally and will accelerate and expand affordability initiatives for college students in the U.S. For more details on our merger, visit http://betterlearningtogether.com. With over 130 years in the education space, we know we will never stop learning and growing. We hope to hear from you soon.

"Stuck in a time warp"

I worked at McGraw Hill full-time

Pros

Some great people; innovative tech

Cons

Toxic leadership stuck in a time warp; the wrong people promoted and protected even when faced with damning evidence of bullying and treating direct reports as if they are a threat; cutting edge tech is dumped if the sales teams decide not to try selling it; HR not interested in representing staff who offer feedback, only in protecting those with “knowledge” and creating “mean girls” cliques.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,005 Reviews