McGraw Hill Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated 5 Oct 2020

3.7
McGraw Hill President and CEO  Simon Allen (no image)
Simon Allen
Pros
Cons
  • "upper management would never be hired in management elsewhere(in 31 reviews)

• "Abrupt mass layoff annually without any prior notice; no standard of work; no work-life balance(in 19 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great mission and purpose, but with various challenges in transitioning from publisher"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England

I worked at McGraw Hill full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some very dedicated and talented people working at MHE with a huge amount of experience Good autonomy and scope to collaborate across the global business Great products and great opportunity to earn good commission as there is a lot of opportunity if pitched appropriately. Good new senior management who have brought more balanced approach to direction of travel as a business

Cons

Strategy has changed drastically several times (as have all publishers) and as a result there has been a high turnover of people. Can be a slightly political environment with many decisions being based on rumour and popularity rather than an evidence based meritocracy

McGraw Hill Response

November 14, 2019Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your thoughtful review and suggestions. We appreciate and value your feedback, and will use it so we can improve. Thanks for being a member of our team and best of luck in your future endeavors!

"A company that has lost its way"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England

I worked at McGraw Hill full-time for more than a year

Pros

Despite company flaws there is a good team of people doing the hard work. They have great solutions that could make a real difference to academics and students.

Cons

Completely lost touch with their customers and the market in general. Poor performance from legacy staff is tolerated. Hard work and commitment is not repaid. Great staff are constantly put on whilst the senior management is often interim or a bad fit for the business making it impossible to be successful as an individual. Staff development and CPD is non-existant. Good people are undervalued and allowed to leave. Salary range for people in same role is ridiculous. The company is more interested in selling to the next VC than it is in making a difference to customers. I would not recommend working here. There is very little in the way of strategy and what there is usually changes on a quarterly basis. Promises are made but not kept.

Continue reading

3. "Good company, great colleagues, excellent future"

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say, But Mid Management in Maidenhead, England

I worked at McGraw Hill full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Personally, I thought the international senior management were very good. The offices has a good atmosphere and culture. Good benefits and potentially good rewards

Cons

When a change in leadership happened, the wrong choices were made - passing over the best, most experienced person for the role. It encouraged me to look elsewhere. The person they hired did not last long - but it created damage and disruption. A big shame. Nevertheless, a good company with good quality staff at every level.

"Great Place to Work"

5.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Performance Test Engineer

I worked at McGraw Hill full-time

Pros

Senior Management values transparency and employees

Cons

Lack of clear career paths especially for technical people

McGraw Hill Response

October 6, 2020Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the positive feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your 10+ years of working at McGraw Hill. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

5. "GREAT PLACE TO WORK & LEARN!"

I have been working at McGraw Hill full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Highly professional with quality content!

Cons

Do lots of experiments, Strategy change & Senior Management Change

Continue reading

"Great people solving important problems in education"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at McGraw Hill full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have a lot of autonomy to drive solutions to real-world customer problems in the education space. The people are smart, fun, collaborative, mature, driven, and overall good eggs. I have had many opportunities to grow and take on more responsibility. Managers don't treat employees like children or monitor hours online and in the office. We all get our jobs done and respect each other's lives. People don't play the blame game. Everyone learns from mistakes and moves on. We have some of the best technical teams out there. I feel well compensated compared to other companies in this industry. Senior management makes themselves very available to anyone and are as open as possible with information.

Cons

Many people are stretched too thin to do quality work, and some people are performing the jobs of a higher title without the actual title or pay. There have been a few too many re-orgs, layoffs, and company strategy changes in the past couple of years, which have caused some morale issues. There has been disappointment around bonus payouts in the last couple of years. The health insurance is not great compared to other companies in this industry.

7. "Sales Rep"

5.0
    Current Employee - Sales Representative
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at McGraw Hill full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

McGraw Hill is a great place to work. The company is always looking for ways to improve employees work/life balance. Throughout my tenure, the senior management has changed several times but, the outcomes have only been a pleasant surprise.

Cons

I cannot think of an issue that would need to be improved.

"Death by 1000 Cuts ..."

1.0

I worked at McGraw Hill full-time

Pros

Some good, smart people work at MHE

Cons

Expect to get laid off, devalued, or minimized to the point of not being effective. Horrible senior management culture - good old boys, few women in leadership positions. CDO is a bad leader: lack of accountability, lack of adaptability, poor integrity.

"Executive Assistant"

2.0
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Toronto, ON

I worked at McGraw Hill full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people there were great to work with.

Cons

Senior management did not care about the employees. Their main focus was meeting the bottom line not matter the cost.

"VP"

I worked at McGraw Hill full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Great life-work balance encouraged for most employees.

Cons

Old-school senior management in the School division.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 29 English Reviews