MediaMath Employee Reviews about "smart people"

Updated 15 Jan 2021

Found 40 of over 381 reviews

3.5
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki
Pros
  • "They trust in their employees, and the work/life balance is really good(in 64 reviews)

• "flexibility , smart people, office view and food pantry(in 40 reviews)

• Cons
  • "All good problems - the company is growing so quickly that the dynamic environment can be hard to manage(in 14 reviews)

• "Some growing pains -- some instability due to several re-organizations over the past few years; way too many disparate technology stacks(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "smart people"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Amazing place to work

18 May 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Incredibly smart people, collaborative environment. - Positive vibe in the office. - Employee-centric company. Really make an effort to show their employees they care, whether it be the benefits, activities, food, etc. - Employees are constantly asked for their input and feedback on many things, results are presented company-wide - whether they be negative or positive. - Excellent work-life balance - Working hours are less than most other places (9-5 with an hour for lunch).

Cons

- Nothing I can currently think of.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Feels like a very special place!

27 May 2016 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

At MediaMath you really get the sense that everyone is working towards something that is meaningful and game changing. There are some great people working here and the culture is very open and informal. You feel you have a voice and is often asked for feedback. There is a lot to learn from the team here: some scarily intelligent and smart people work here. In addition some great perks like weekly massages and all the snacks you could ever wish for. Really appreciate the flexible working arrangements and the very comprehensive benefit package. You feel you are looked after and appreciated.

Cons

The structure is a little crazy with a lot of functional reporting lines into the US. This can often make it difficult for us to ensure a holistic approach is taken for the EMEA business. We need to improve internal communication, more celebration of successes and more information about coverall company performance. Less big talk and more facts (keep it simple!). Also need a better solution for communication flow between product and the client facing part of the business.

6 people found this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Lack of Diversity and so real D & I initiative from Leadership

15 Jan 2021 - Project Director in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

flexibility , smart people, office view and food pantry

Cons

Lack of diversity POC make under 3-4% of the company Leadership does not care about D & I initiative / Strategy

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Former Employee

Learned a lot but very little work/life balance

24 Jun 2020 - Anonymous in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a fast-paced and constantly evolving industry, which provided great learning opportunities. MediaMath has a lot of smart people, and I enjoyed collaborating with individuals across different business units.

Cons

There was very little work/life balance. There were not enough resources for the volume of work.

4 people found this review helpful

MediaMath Response

Manager, HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad that you experienced learning opportunities and enjoyed collaborating with Mathletes across the business. Though we are continuously evaluating our business and resourcing needs as we work to transform our company, there are times in which we all experience heavier workloads. At the same time, we aim to provide employees with flexibility and a healthy work/life balance, so we’re disappointed to hear that you did not experience that quality of life at MediaMath. We would appreciate hearing more from you so that we can be sure to improve in the future. Please reach out with any further comments directly to people@mediamath.com.

5. 5.0

Great Program!

15 Nov 2019 - Marketing Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Marketing Engineer Program is a fantastic program to jump start your career in Adtech. There are so many nice and smart people and teams you'll get to work with and meet! And ample opportunities to learn and grow your programmatic knowledge and technical skill sets.

Cons

If I had to mention one, I think maybe providing more job search support to make this piece of the program less stressful.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Think about your other options

19 Apr 2019 - Management in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

MediaMath is a 10+ year old startup that still requires investment capital. Why? If you look at ad tech's growth and MediaMath's competitors set, they should be profitable and in a growth trajectory. What will you learn joining this company? You might get the opportunity to fix internal processes, save an account, fill in tech gaps with human power, try different roles, and meet smart people. If you like working for an underdog company, this could be a good fit. You will always be up against Google or other companies that have stronger engineering talent. If you like having constant change, this might also be a good fit. There are reorgs almost every year or reorgs still carrying on from the last reorg. Adtech is always changing and companies like MediaMath need to adapt to both trends and changing political climates.

Cons

If you are coming from a more established technology company and you are not looking for an aging startup environment, this will likely disappoint you. You are used to larger organizations with smart people who make logical decisions. There are checks and balances that keep large orgs with good products and market viability in a positive trajectory. This is not that. Instead of making decisions on behalf of future success, many people in power like to go on power trips and set up the company to fail. Read other reviews here. Do your research in the ad tech space. Look at the companies that grow year over year. Dollars are flowing to the companies that have viable solutions for advertisers. Also look into what type of investments ad tech companies take. Some go public (IPO), some get venture capital, some take private equity. Those investments are not all equal. This information is available with a quick Google search. Do you want to work long hours, make meaningful changes in your small sector of responsibility, and be a positive change agent but never receive any praise or reward? You might enjoy it here. MediaMath is medium sized business. That gives senior leadership an unhealthy amount of power. They are a group of like minded individuals that like each other and their own ideas. They do not like outsiders. They do not like to hear constructive criticism. They are quick to adopt a trend or mindset without deep thinking. The middle manager sector of the company is large and unwieldy. Do talk to current or ex employees. Do the same for other ad tech companies. Ad tech firms are struggling as most marketing dollars go to the top three companies. Be aware of double-speak in your interviews. Are they just talking to talk? Are they saying anything of value in succinct sentences?

25 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

Senior software engineer

5 Oct 2018 - Software Engineer Senior in Cambridge, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Smart people who are genuinely ready to help - work life balance - best views of the city ( in the Boston area) - snacks and perks

Cons

- maybe the internal wiki can be more organized

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Really great people and an exciting place to work

3 Jul 2014 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

MediaMath hires really smart people and challenges them every day. We solve really hard problems and we are given a lot of freedom and encouragement to try new tools and technologies. Our technology stack this year is materially different than 18 months ago and 18 months prior to that. We are constantly challenging industry norms and our own in a good productive way. People at mediamath really care about the company. They care about changing and industry and about doing it with people we consider friends. The team is full of genuinely good people. The company is growing like crazy so its a wild ride, but we have a lot of fun at the same time. The management team does an excellent job listening to the employees and soliciting input about what we are doing right and where we can improve. lots of company perks like cell phones, food, monthly parties, standing desks, big dual monitors, and bagel fridays

Cons

typical challenges of fast growing companies. constant change, frequent reorganizations, remaining focused on the top goals and simply scaling an organization to capture opportunities. These make the ride a bit bumpy but when you are all working for the same goal we recognize why its happening.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A very good company to work for

20 Mar 2015 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart people. Senior management who know what they're doing. Great products and a company that is going places. Good work/life balance and very open to flexibility to employee needs - you can WFH if you need to without any fuss. Good pay. Open PTO. Interesting tech, with some potentially cutting-edge stuff going on. It's the first place I've ever worked where I happened to be wearing a company-branded shirt and got props on the train home from a random person who thought we're a great company.

Cons

Medical/dental/vision benefits are bit mediocre. For me, the commute to the WTC will be worse. Sometimes the various disciplines within engineering can seem a bit siloed and prone to throwing stuff over the wall at each other. The current re-org has the potential to deal with that and in general seems to be the right way to go.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Massive growth and lots of opportunity

18 Apr 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart people and hard problems everywhere, with every opportunity to create the job you want. Strong engineering culture: focused on ongoing learning, experimentation, distributed systems acumen, CI/CD/automation oriented, and lots of opportunity to play with truly big data (as in, petabytes!). Work from home whenever you want, work the hours you want, work with great people, and work on interesting problems.

Cons

Get even better at culling the bottom performers. They're having a hard time keeping up with the change and that has the effect of holding the broader team back and frustrating their coworkers. Figure out a way to reinforce the pockets of entrepreneurial culture that are leading the pack in productivity.

4 people found this review helpful