Metro Bank Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Metro Bank Reviews

Updated Oct 11, 2019

Found 260 reviews

3.6
Pros
  • "Colleagues within every Metro Bank team/department are amazing(in 84 reviews)

• "Great place to work with great values(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are no cons working for metro bank(in 47 reviews)

• "Can be fast paced which may not suit everyone(in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Brilliant place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Metro Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture at Metro Bank is second to none. People genuinely care about the job that they are doing and care about doing it the right way for customers. Career opportunities are excellent at Metro Bank. I’m personally in my third role in nearly four years here. There are numerous fast-track training programmes which allow colleagues to progress in many different areas of the bank. The classroom and e-learning... training available to all colleagues is superb. All new colleagues will have at least 5 days of training when they first start before they join their team, which is a brilliant introduction to the culture and job-specific training. Diversity is really celebrated here and the great work that the various colleague-led networks do really helps to make sure that we work in an inclusive environment. Diversity and inclusion aren’t just buzz words, they matter and it really helps that members of the executive leaderships are really visible sponsors of the networks, and Craig Donaldson (CEO) is regularly seen at events run by the networks and always makes time to say a few words. Salaries are fair and the huge range of benefits for colleagues really makes a difference. The pension scheme is really good, and the optional benefits available are great. You can opt into private medical insurance, a health cash plan (cash back when paying for a huge range of treatments), critical illness cover and dental insurance. There’s also access to a brilliant discount portal. Family friendly leave is so, so good. All new parents, regardless of gender, are entitled to up to 14 weeks of fully paid parental leave. I don’t know of many other organisations that treat both genders equally in this regard and it is great that new parents have a choice when it comes to taking the parental leave. The work/life balance at Metro Bank is pretty good. All full-time colleagues get at least 23 days holiday a year, plus bank holidays and this will go up based on service and job level. Metro Bank is a 24/7 bank which means that there are always teams of people working round the clock and it can feel like there is always work to be done (which is a good thing as it’s never boring!). It is easy to work more than the hours that you’re paid for, but management are good at either allowing you to claim lieu time, or encouraging you to start later the next day if you’ve worked late the day before. The visibility of senior managers is excellent and you feel like you can approach them whenever you need to, even if it’s a small question. The “Bump up” culture at the bank is definitely real – you are encouraged to ask questions if you don’t know the answer to something and there will always be someone who can help you.

Cons

As we have grown there is a risk that the culture is being diluted. The culture won’t be for everyone and the expectations of you as a colleague are really high (they need to be given what the bank wants to achieve). If you don’t have high expectations of yourself and what you want to achieve then it won’t be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Protect the culture, it's what makes us different (and better) than other organisations.

Metro Bank2019-03-25

Metro Bank Response

March 25, 2019Chief People Officer

Wow! Thanks for this really really helpful and comprehensive review. I think you’ve done a great job of summarising the many many benefits of working here and also some of the challenges. Our ethos of investing in our people really comes through as well. As you say we have much to do but our people are at the heart of that and protecting and strengthening our culture is key. Thanks again for taking the time to share this and I’m sure your career with us will continue to progress. Best wishes. Danny

2. "Very good"

Former Employee - C S R in London, England

I worked at Metro Bank part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good job very flexible and supportive and easy career progression

Cons

It gets very repeatitive at times but once you progress it gets better

Advice to Management

Very good keep it up metro is the best

Metro Bank2019-09-29

"Good company but need to care more"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Reading, England

I worked at Metro Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Metro Bank do hire great people who have ended up being some of my true friends for life. They have an exciting, enthusiastic culture with some fantastic opportunities for training and personal growth. The culture isn’t for everyone but once embraced can be really rewarding. The environment in all of the areas I have worked in can be intense at times but also teaches you many valuable skills. They have great... training programmes and encourage you to participate in different opportunities within the community which is fun and rewarding.

Cons

Being with the company for four years I have seen many different teams. Unfortunately across most of them some of the management can be seen as having favourites and giving those who may be ‘louder” more opportunities to progress even when being undeserved. This is due to many of the managers being very young and inexperienced. In my own experience being extremely hard working, despite this I would see many around... me who would often not work as hard, but due to being close to management would be offered promotions without having any respect from other colleagues. This is detrimental to the companies growth. The company also do not replace staff once people have left which creates a stressful, intense environment creating low morale and poor mental health. Often managers will make people over work because they are worried about the perception of the customer, although putting this kind of pressure on colleagues is always going to have a negative effect.

Advice to Management

Please take time to care about colleagues and not put too much work on them as I have seen many colleagues in Metro bank suffer with their mental health due to no work/life balance when working in the store. Colleagues respect you more when you put yourself in their shoes and are never afraid to help out with the workload and be a mentor.

Metro Bank2019-09-24

"What started so well is rapidly changing and not for the better"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eastbourne, England

I have been working at Metro Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Metro is, and always has been, customer focused. They have taken the basic premise that by giving great service and products you will reap the rewards of loyal customers (Fans!) and recommendations. In order to be able to provide this they realise that it is essential to have a happy and productive work force. Colleagues at MB are given an extensive range of in house training options to further their careers along... with different reward packages and the possibility of good annual bonuses. The culture has always been at the heart of MB and it is one of the biggest things that sets them apart from other employers.

Cons

Times are changing. A year ago this would have been a 5 star review. To lose 2 stars in such a short space of time in my opinion would be a cause of concern to me. The culture is changing. As the company grows it seems to be diluting it, with higher staff numbers and turnover this was unfortunately inevitable perhaps. It has been a tough year for MB, especially in the media. This has potentially put some financial... constraints in place. However my biggest concern regards staffing levels in existing stores. I can't speak for the company as a whole but the store in which I work has lost 2 members of staff in the last few months, neither of whom have been replaced. Apparently we were over staffed before hand. This has led to unmanageable work loads for the remaining staff and having to stay extra hours unpaid just to get things done. Stress levels and disharmony are rising and I wouldn't be surprised to lose more staff to illness soon. This isn't the MB I signed up to or indeed love working for.

Advice to Management

Give the support that's needed at ground level! We are your front line, when the media portray MB in a bad light we ease our customers worry for them. We see countless customers every day and each one is met with a smile and a warm greeting. Don't let our ability to do this slip because the numbers don't add up somewhere and statistics say we don't need more staff. Trust me we do!

Metro Bank2019-10-09
  5. "Great place"

Current Employee - Commercial Support Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Metro Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bubbly work environment and fast paced.

Cons

Low staff salary. Could be better.

Advice to Management

Pay higher and promote excellent staff

Metro Bank2019-10-11
  6. "Temporary cash officer"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Hesketh Bank, England

I worked at Metro Bank full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

To gain my knowledge ..and extraordinary work to achieved yourself

Cons

Challenge to work...and not burden on myself whenever work load is high

Advice to Management

Work work and work

Metro Bank2019-10-07

"Good Start...rocky maintenance."

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Metro Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture is great, especially for a financial establishment, they are very motivational. Depending on the department you work in, there's growth and development opportunities. Its a good place to get back into work in a financial establishment.

Cons

The pay seems to be a lot less than the average for a similar role elsewhere, the management style is tediously micromanaged, somewhat similar to a school environment. Growth seems to depend on who you know rather than what you know.

Advice to Management

Support style seems to be al about checking boxes, and the environment is too micromanaged.

Metro Bank2019-09-25

"Great start, disappointing end"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in London, England

I worked at Metro Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great bunch of people to work with and a focus on collaboration to ensure best customer experience.

Cons

Sadly 2019 has been a horror show for the bank. Starting with the accounting error, restructure of various departments resulting in redundancies (especially Commercial), and despite best efforts to project a positive image to the market the share price continues to take a pummelling. It is unbelievable there has been no change at the top of the bank whilst those further down the food chain are suffering. At any... other respected organisation this would not happen as the market would demand heads of those in charge. I feel trust in the Exec has been lost, job security is lacking, the strategy is unclear, and culture is being dissolved which is a shame.

Advice to Management

Show some leadership and get on the front foot to resolve issues. The impression is one of being reactive and not having a clear strategy to mitigate challenges the bank may face. Sweeping changes at the top with fresh experience brought in may help revitalise the bank and restore its reputation as a true challenger. Hopefully the bank can turn things around and be a creditable challenger long term.

Metro Bank2019-09-06
  9. "A truly grateful opportunity"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cambridge, England

I worked at Metro Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

• Great support from management •They truly do care about keeping their colleagues • Hard work doesn’t go unnoticed • Opportunities to progress

Cons

• Working Bank Holidays and late (8pm)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing 👌🏼

Metro Bank2019-09-09
  10. "good"

Current Employee - Cashier in Croydon, England

I have been working at Metro Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

fun and you get to learn a lot

Cons

too much work and very little progression

Metro Bank2019-09-22