Metro Bank Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 16 April 2019

UK - All Cities

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The opportunities for career development within Metro Bank are like no other organization" (in 76 reviews)

• "Metro Banks is simply a great place to work" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "not everyone has heard about Metro bank yet but this is increasing" (in 36 reviews)

• "No incentive for working bank holidays - Yes they are open on Bank holidays - Which goes back to my main point of no work/life balance" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Brilliant place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Metro Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture at Metro Bank is second to none. People genuinely care about the job that they are doing and care about doing it the right way for customers.

Career opportunities are excellent at Metro Bank. I’m personally in my third role in nearly four years here. There are numerous fast-track training programmes which allow colleagues to progress in many different areas of the bank. The classroom and e-learning training available to all colleagues is superb. All new colleagues will have at least 5 days of training when they first start before they join their team, which is a brilliant introduction to the culture and job-specific training.

Diversity is really celebrated here and the great work that the various colleague-led networks do really helps to make sure that we work in an inclusive environment. Diversity and inclusion aren’t just buzz words, they matter and it really helps that members of the executive leaderships are really visible sponsors of the networks, and Craig Donaldson (CEO) is regularly seen at events run by the networks and always makes time to say a few words.

Salaries are fair and the huge range of benefits for colleagues really makes a difference. The pension scheme is really good, and the optional benefits available are great. You can opt into private medical insurance, a health cash plan (cash back when paying for a huge range of treatments), critical illness cover and dental insurance. There’s also access to a brilliant discount portal.

Family friendly leave is so, so good. All new parents, regardless of gender, are entitled to up to 14 weeks of fully paid parental leave. I don’t know of many other organisations that treat both genders equally in this regard and it is great that new parents have a choice when it comes to taking the parental leave.

The work/life balance at Metro Bank is pretty good. All full-time colleagues get at least 23 days holiday a year, plus bank holidays and this will go up based on service and job level. Metro Bank is a 24/7 bank which means that there are always teams of people working round the clock and it can feel like there is always work to be done (which is a good thing as it’s never boring!). It is easy to work more than the hours that you’re paid for, but management are good at either allowing you to claim lieu time, or encouraging you to start later the next day if you’ve worked late the day before.

The visibility of senior managers is excellent and you feel like you can approach them whenever you need to, even if it’s a small question. The “Bump up” culture at the bank is definitely real – you are encouraged to ask questions if you don’t know the answer to something and there will always be someone who can help you.

Cons

As we have grown there is a risk that the culture is being diluted.

The culture won’t be for everyone and the expectations of you as a colleague are really high (they need to be given what the bank wants to achieve). If you don’t have high expectations of yourself and what you want to achieve then it won’t be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Protect the culture, it's what makes us different (and better) than other organisations.

25 Mar 2019 – Chief People Officer

Wow! Thanks for this really really helpful and comprehensive review. I think you’ve done a great job of summarising the many many benefits of working here and also some of the challenges. Our ethos... More

2. "People"

Current Employee - People Team in London, England

I have been working at Metro Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, a lot of support from every direction and room for opportunities.

Cons

I have no cons that I can think of.

3. "Good for young people"

Current Employee - Cashier in London, England
    Current Employee - Cashier in London, England

I have been working at Metro Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a great place to work if you’ve just come out of school - gives you a lot of skills in working in customer service.

Cons

The hours are difficult, have to work bank holidays unless you use holiday to book them off,

"Fantastic culture and place to work"

Current Employee - People Team in London, England

I have been working at Metro Bank part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, really genuine and commitment to do a good job. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved in lots of different things from grand openings to opportunities to stretch and develop new skills.
    The investment in people is top priority and this is seen throughout the organisation.
    There is a really positive continuous learning type mentality which brings energy and fun to the teams.
    The people team are true ambassadors of the culture and are really supportive, fair and consistent in their approach.

Cons

No cons. It’s a great place to work and develop your career

25 Mar 2019 – Chief People Officer

Hey there people team member. Thanks for posting this review which has literally made my day. As you say we are all about investing in our people and there are so many ways to learn and get involved... More

"Best place to work!"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Maidstone, England
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Maidstone, England

I have been working at Metro Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel that the company values my input and my ideas are being pushed through. To come from a non banning background and to become assistant store manager just over a year later being a CSR is a great opportunity and I've enjoyed every minute of my time at metro. Things don't just happen to people. As with everything in life, you have to work for it, therefore I love the values and culture of metro bank as they give you a Clear understanding as to what you have to do to work towards your development.

Cons

Sometimes work load can get quite a lot and as an assistant manager you do get many responsibilities however with good personal time management and the correct time utilisation it is not such a huge issue. Also I feel that some assistant managers do a lot more work than others however I've never had issues giving them that feedback and it's all about challenging people the correct way.

Advice to Management

Keep living and breathing the culture. People are inspired by us on a daily basis!

29 Mar 2019 – Chief People Officer

Hello there ASM. Thanks for this review and for sharing your journey with us so far... and congratulations on your promotion. Great to hear that you love our culture and really understand what you... More

6. "Increase in wage would be great"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Ilford, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Ilford, England

I have been working at Metro Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great atmosphere really fun

Cons

Wage bracket is low compared to other roles in the industry

Advice to Management

Increase wages we work hard

29 Mar 2019 – Chief People Officer

Hi - thanks for posting this review. Glad you love our people and culture. I am guessing you are a CSR or ADR... hopefully you know about our fantastic career development paths for both of those... More

7. "Middle management is mediocre."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Metro Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Metro Bank employees really go the extra mile for customers and for other colleagues. Best customer service in the market. Good working environment whithin the team. 9am-5pm working schedule, so there is a good work-life balance. Good offices facilities. Wages were good, and he had a good pension scheme. A good balance between male and female staff, very diverse staff from different backrounds and etnicities which reflects fair opportunities.

Cons

Mediocre middle management. We had to work holidays and weekends, the rota was done by other staff member and not management. When the person made mistakes with the rota booking you to work weekends when you are on holidays, management feedback was "you need to find someone to cover for you" and shrugged any responsability off. Even though they were the ones approving your holidays! This obviously created unnecessary tension whithin the team.
    A lot ot team leaders and managers didn't have enough work experience to do their jobs right and this lead to many poor business decisions. And unfortunately this is accross Metro Bank, people that would start working in the call centre, whithin a year were working in Head Office doing an important job, with no banking experience whatsoever. Even though MB instigates suggestions and open conversations, higher management never gets staffs true opinions/suggestions because middle management blocks it.

Advice to Management

Middle management is a bit problem in MB and the business needs to invest in more qualified people and open-minded. HR teams needs to be "closer" to staff to resolve conflicts.

25 Mar 2019 – Chief People Officer

Hi there. And thanks for posting a review. Glad to hear that you enjoyed working here and all that we had to offer including a great environment and diverse teams.
    Sorry to read that there were... More

8. "Good company to work for but more work on supporting BAME colleagues"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Metro Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You work with amazing people
    Conga round the office on your first day
    Managers praise good performance on a regular basis and award badges on Yammer. I received a hamper and other colleagues have gone to the Brits

Cons

As a BAME colleague you will struggle to be promoted into Management within the People/ HR team. Your line manager will approve the internal application but the European background candidate will always be seen more favourably. The company has several diversity and inclusion initiatives but it is not being adopted in the People/ HR team. Its who you know and BAME colleagues like myself unfortunately don't have connections in to the typical middle class group.

Advice to Management

Managers and leaders keep driving the unique culture but try embracing different ways of processing internal applications so BAME colleagues are assessed fairly.

22 Mar 2019 – Chief People Officer

Hi there and thanks for sharing a review about your time with Metro Bank. I’m pleased you enjoyed your time with us but really saddened by your comments around progression. Based on your review I am... More

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I have been working at Metro Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture makes Metro Bank, as well as the visibility (and approachability) of senior management and family friendly working hours/policies.
    The company is relatively young and so pace of change is exciting. Projects are varied and there is always lots to work on.
    The impact of old legacy systems is minimised (unusual for banking!)

Cons

The Change function at Metro Bank is quite immature.
    Resource also sometimes feels a bit scarce.

14 Mar 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing your helpful review. Glad that you love our culture (especially after 5 years), the accessibility of our leaders and our family friendly approach. As you say there is always lots... More

10. "A very good jump to the Banking Sector"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in London, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Metro Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Excellent and professional training provided to get well-started for your new journey
    -Metro Bank is growing so rapidly and that gives new opportunities to move into and grow within the bank
    -The bank's atmosphere is friendly and supportive

Cons

-Variable shift
    -Hard to arrange a short-notice holiday

25 Mar 2019 – Chief People Officer

Hi there CSR and delighted you are enjoying your 'jump into banking' with us. Great to hear that you appreciate our supportive approach and professional training and that you can see there are... More