Ministry of Justice UK "civil service" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Ministry of Justice UK Employee Reviews about "civil service"

Updated 13 Feb 2020

3.4
Ministry of Justice UK Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice Michael Gove
Michael Gove
Pros
Cons
  • "Wages are not as good as some other Civil Service departments & yearly increase is only 1-2%(in 11 reviews)

• "Some senior managers behaviour was unprofessional(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "civil service"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Product Line Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Ministry of Justice UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great opportunities to progress and opportunities to improve your skills

Ministry of Justice UK2020-02-13
  2. "Supportive work environment"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in London, England

I have been working at Ministry of Justice UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great employer and flexible working is encouraged

Cons

Increasing workload due to civil service wide cuts and efficiences

Ministry of Justice UK2020-02-03
  3. "MoJ epitomises the decline of the Civil Service as an employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Ministry of Justice UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work focusses on interesting areas and there are examples of good managers and professionals who look to achieve positive policy outcomes.

Cons

MoJ suffers from an upper management incapable of facilitating change and as such has an organisational "sclerosis" in which big projects are too often talked about and planned and seldom. Cuts to the civil service and a change in culture have come about since 2010 and have been felt hard in MoJ, an organisation that is not resilient enough to resist the more pernicious side effects of austerity. As such, the department has become a very poor place to work, with morale sapped, managers under extreme pressure and junior members treated like negligible commodities. Overall, the spirit of MoJ has become a cynical, hard-nosed one in which individual well-being, career opportunities and rewarding work are almost entirely absent.

Ministry of Justice UK2020-01-06
  4. "Positive start to a career"

I worked at Ministry of Justice UK full-time

Pros

A good place to start out a civil service career, some really good policy areas and fascinating opportunities

Cons

Slightly hierarchical, but good opportunities with the right managers

Ministry of Justice UK2018-12-17

"Good work environment and great career opportunities"

Former Employee - HEO in London, England

I worked at Ministry of Justice UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team and colleagues. Civil Service benefits.

Cons

Some senior managers behaviour was unprofessional.

Ministry of Justice UK2017-12-03

"MoJ Digital - Great if you are one of the TEAM! Big if."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Ministry of Justice UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good team behaviours People enjoy what they are doing Civil service benefits

Cons

Senior management is a mess. Underqualified individuals who appear to be making it up as they go along. They are blind to anything that is not part of their "Vision" and deaf to all criticism.

Ministry of Justice UK2017-12-17
  7. "Decent working hours, relaxed management and friendly colleagues - if a bit lacking in dynamism"

Former Employee - Senior Policy Adviser in London, England

I worked at Ministry of Justice UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Usual civil service perks - good holiday, flexi-time, pension, extra days off etc - but these are not rare in government

Cons

Usual civil service problems - lack of pace, bureaucratic, limited scope for experimentation, too much churn - and poor management accountability for decisions

Ministry of Justice UK2017-09-18
  8. "Great people - cumbersome bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Principal Statistician in London, England

I have been working at Ministry of Justice UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people: enthusiastic, driven and capable. The hours: you can work ridiculously long hours but don't have to. The salary: compared to other Govt Departments, this is one of the better-paid ones (although that varies massively by grade). The subject matter: the possibility to work on societal issues that matter. The size: because MOJ is a large Govt Department, there is more opportunity for moving into different areas and moving up the ladder.

Cons

Same as elsewhere in the Civil Service: a bureaucratic organisation, sub-par IT and having to adapt quickly to ministerial whim.

Ministry of Justice UK2017-07-19

"Absolute Joke avoid MoJ"

Former Employee - Procurement in Leeds, England

I worked at Ministry of Justice UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

I left?? On balance I worked with some great people that I keep In touch with. Working for MoJ gave me an understanding of how not to do thighs.

Cons

- The department has little interest in developing staff; - you can world upwards of 40 hrs/week and still be told your not doing enough; - Concerns brushed under the carpet; - witnessed other members of staff been bullied with senior management taking no action; - pay scales below average compared to the wider civil service; - a blame culture (witnessed not experienced) where staff are left without the necessary tools or resource to make informed professional decisions and then blamed personally in the events of failure; - massive contrast between teams due to wide scale under resourcing, lack of clear policy and no escalation routes. Avoids this department! In Leeds I'd suggest looking at DH and DWP roles

Ministry of Justice UK2017-04-13

"I'm not going to name and shame this particular organisation or "agency"."

Former Employee - Law in London, England

I worked at Ministry of Justice UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexi- IF you are part of the right department. Team - Mine was delightful

Cons

Micromanagement - You can be seen to be the highest performer but they will still judge you poorly. Language - I got told "could of finished yesterday. Should of done that quicker. Honestly why do we pay you" Maybe light hearted to some but when you have a parent dealing with MS you want colleagues to be supportive. Not say "good morning" because you came later (remember flexi). It's rude! They do it to belittle you. It's fortunate I know their game. Progression- None. Unless you've been there 15 plus years. Old school boys club. Returning 20 months later into the civil service I realise this isn't how all departments or agencies operate. So please go to the CS but stay away from here!

Ministry of Justice UK2017-04-01

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 16 reviews