Monzo Bank Cardiff Reviews

Updated 19 May 2020

4.2
Monzo Bank CEO Tom Blomfield
Tom Blomfield
  1. "Awesome Company Culture"

Current Employee - Customer Operations in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Monzo Bank full-time

Pros

Very good place to work. Great culture. Good career progression.

Cons

Remote working can get lonely.

Monzo Bank2020-05-19
  2. "Amazing"

I have been working at Monzo Bank part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, amazing team, fine mission and ethical

Cons

I haven’t experience anything bad

Monzo Bank2020-04-09
  3. "Fast-paced, challenging and caring environment"

I have been working at Monzo Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Talented, enthusiastic people working on a great mission.

Cons

In the process of 'professionalising'.

Monzo Bank2020-03-29

"Think twice about leaving a steady job to work here."

2.0
    Former Employee - Remote Customer Care Representative in Cardiff, Wales
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Monzo Bank part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working from home is good.

Cons

The hours are long, there is little support, It’s a learn on the job but you are not given any grace period for being new, it depends who you get when your work is marked. Think twice before you leave a job you've been at for a while as these guys will get rid of you if you don’t pass your probationary period. Although working from home is good, It’s long hours. I was deemed as part-time even though I was 36 hours a week.

Monzo Bank2020-03-28
  5. "Challenging but rewarding part time role"

4.0
    Current Employee - Cop in Cardiff, Wales
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Monzo Bank part-time for more than a year

Pros

Some perks, good company ethos

Cons

Holiday requests are often declined.

Monzo Bank2020-03-18
  6. "Brilliant Company"

I have been working at Monzo Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

As my second job since uni, Monzo is exactly what I was looking for. I'm actively challenged and always have something to do, and work with a great group of people who are so lovely inside and outside of work. The offices are great, and the lunches we get on Monday and Thursday are such a cool work perk. The flexible working hours really suit me and having so many different areas to work in both within the office and working from home is great.

Cons

I honestly do not have any! I wish there were more dogs in the office, but the ones we have are great!

Monzo Bank2020-02-07
  7. "MZ"

Former Contractor - Live Chat Agent in Cardiff, Wales

I worked at Monzo Bank for less than a year

Pros

Very easy going relaxed comfortable job

Cons

No cons brilliant company to work for

Monzo Bank2020-01-27

"Excellent benefits, demanding job"

Current Employee - Customer Operations in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Monzo Bank part-time for less than a year

Pros

The benefits are second to none. The office is incredible with snacks, cold drinks and high end coffee machines (my personal favourite perk) and the people are some of the nicest you'll ever meet thanks to the rigorous tried and tested hiring process. The social events are also excellent and well organised thanks to an excellent Cardiff officer events manager. You can also work from home if that's something you're interested in (and you have good internet). The salary is beyond generous for a job like this and there is plenty of opportunity for progression, internal promotion and salary increase. The people and benefits really make this job a one of a kind opportunity, and it certainly feels like you're on a progress track from your very first day.

Cons

To be brutally honest, any job in customer service is a nightmare and Monzo isn't any different. In fact, since money is such a personal thing, and because of the way Monzo is marketed, you perhaps see a lot of difficult customers who think that Monzo should infinitely compensate them for any perceived problem, even if it's something that wasn't in our control or doesn't even exist as a problem in the first place. You'll have rude, dishonest, and deliberately difficult customers, but that is a reality with any job in customer service. Please bear this in mind when applying. The difference with Monzo is it gives you the freedom, knowledge and skill to allow you to really help those customers that really need it. This means the job is often just as rewarding as it is frustrating. As a fairly impatient and brutally honest person, I've avoided jobs like this for a lifetime and sometimes customers really do get under my skin, but it makes it all worth while when you're able to help someone who's genuinely in a lot of distress and you're able to sort their issues with a click of a button. Combine that with the insane number of benefits Monzo offers, and this is simply the best job you can have in customer service...Just make sure you're okay with coping with the stresses and frustrations of a customer facing role. One last con: as with most 24hour customer call centre jobs, the shifts aren't always the best. You can be working shifts from 6am till 3pm (my favourite shift) or 1pm till 10pm (the absolute worst shift) if you're on an 'open availability' contract. This is a reality with a job like this: they have to be flexible and put customer support demand first. Just bear in mind that this makes it difficult to have a social life alongside the job, even if it's going for a pint with people in the office: they're probably on a different shift pattern!

Monzo Bank2020-01-21

"Horrible working environment, benefits taken away, poor training, low pay and harsh disciplinary procedures."

2.0
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Monzo Bank part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible working hours Generous holiday allowance Private healthcare available for a small amount of your salary. Appointment of someone focusing on inclusion and diversity provides some hope that things will change. Lots of overtime available in recent months in customer services due to Monzo being so understaffed, this can significantly improve monthly pay. Both the Cardiff and London offices are nice, free food and snacks available. Tom Blomfield CEO answers questions each week at the All Hands, nice to have the opportunity to directly question him. However, questions that are 'anonymous' still have to be sent to a person in charge of collating questions so there is a sense that you still have to careful what you ask.

Cons

-Customer service department is understaffed and wait times for customers have been horrendous in recent months. This leads to no time for development or training. Staff morale is also low as a result. -Inconsequential mistakes lead to almost instant disciplinary action which can include dismissal. This has created an atmosphere of fear among staff. Mistakes aren't seen as chances to learn but instead an opportunity to punish. -Discrimination in London office has been rife in the last 12 months. Women and those of ethnic backgrounds are the victims here. Discriminatory and racist language was overheard at the office Christmas party, -Management across the company is comprised of inexperienced white males with no family commitments who only promote those like themselves. - Monzo has asked people to write positive Glassdoor reviews in order to improve our image. Seems as if management are more interested in saving face in public rather than sorting out the issues that cause bad reviews. -Staff turnover is very high across the company from customer operations right up to senior management. A job at Monzo is a very insecure job. -Middle management and HR referred to as the 'people team' are inefficient and inexperienced. Takes forever for them to do anything that is requested and often things have to be chased up multiple times. -Remote workers are isolated and no longer receive any benefits such as a food allowance on certain days. Social budgets removed so people who work remotely never actually meet their co workers.

Monzo Bank2020-01-09

"An Intense Career Incubator"

Current Employee - Squad Captain Manager in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Monzo Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Huge opportunities for personal growth, provided you work hard. - Inclusive and transparent culture that is going through a process of professionalisation. - Surrounded by great people that make you want to do better every day. - Brilliant salary for those outside of London, particularly in customer operations.

Cons

- High stress. If you take time off, your work doesn't necessarily go anywhere. - Limited diversity - lots of ambition, university educated, young, white men. - Culture and expectations are constantly changing and evolving, which means that people who can't adapt get left behind.

Monzo Bank2019-11-11