Morgan McKinley Employee Reviews about "high turnover"

Updated Nov 10, 2021

Found 19 of over 523 reviews

4.3
Morgan McKinley Chief Executive Officer  Gerald Fitzgerald
Gerald Fitzgerald
Pros
  • "For a recruitment business that would have struggled through covid year, it was still a good place to work(in 64 reviews)

• "I was working as a vendor at Microsoft through Morgan McKinley(in 61 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I'm happy with Morgan McKinley as my employer(in 21 reviews)

• "Think there is a relatively high turnover in a couple areas of the business, but mainly its stable(in 19 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "high turnover"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Nice People, Excellent Culture, Exceptional Client delivery, Can Lack Creativity and Innovation

Apr 24, 2013 - Marketing in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Morgan McKinley is a great company to work for and with. There are some very very talented people in the organisation. People are not micro-managed they are 'led' in many cases though not all. At Morgan McKinley you get autonomy and if you have an opinion or an idea that you are willing to share you will be listened to. Work here if you want to make a difference and not just be an employee.

Cons

However the sales culture that is recruitment means that sometimes communication can be flawed. I see a very high staff turnover however that is expected in recruitment but it means there are inconsistencies with how we present ourselves. Training and development could be improved I think the general working hours in the London office should be shorter

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Current Employee

Consultant

Apr 11, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good location in the city

Cons

Everything. Company has no idea how to execute any growth plans. Since Jan this year has had at least 2 people leaving on a weekly basis. Never seen such high turnover. Horrible culture. Managers have no idea. A good HR team would have a field day if they saw and heard some of the problems on the floor. Avoid at all costs. This company will have you wanting to kill yourself every night.

Global Head of HR

Thank you for your review. I am deeply concerned to read about your experience and would urge you to contact me as soon as possible and in confidence at hgallagher@morganmckinley.com or by phone +353 1 4321555.

3. 1.0
      Former Employee

Avoid!!

Nov 25, 2016 - Consultant in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Position of the office in Central London, decent salary

Cons

High turnover. The working hours can be very long. There is discrimination towards not English native speakers and racism. The Managers pretend they are nice to you, but then talk at your back.

8 people found this review helpful

People Director

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed and concerned to read some of your comments and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your feedback in confidence in more detail. Please contact me directly and confidentially awebb@morganmckinley.co.uk

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Potential

Aug 24, 2015 -  in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good commission structure and training scheme, great people to work with and good central London based offices. Overall decent company benefits too.

Cons

Salary is often not in line with market benchmarks. Can be very long hours. Very high turnover amongst staff and not enough consistency across the business.

People Director

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you have positively rated our people, training programme, commission plan and employee benefits. I very much hope that you have had the opportunity to discuss your experience further during your exit interview. We use this process to gain deep insight into people's time with Morgan McKinley and to drive change within our business. In addition, please feel free to contact me directly at awebb@morganmckinley.co.uk

5. 3.0
      Former Employee

Good for first job

Jul 27, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great for establishing networks for the future

Cons

Depends entirely which team you are placed into, high staff turnover

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good place to work - fun company

Jul 6, 2015 - Group Marketing Manager in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Young energetic workforce, good place to gain experience, good career progression opportunities, good training for employees, always very good social scene

Cons

High turnover so managers spend a lot of their time training in new staff. Sometimes they hire unsuitable people who are not suited to the sales environment.

People Director

Thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear about your positive experience working at Morgan McKinley ... long may it continue! We strive to hire the very best talent, and our leadership team play a critical role in onboarding, training and development their teams. If you have any recommendations as to how we might improve our hiring process and/or learning and development programmes, please feel free to get in contact with me at awebb@morganmckinley.co.uk.

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Better than 90% of recruitment agencies

Dec 19, 2013 - Consultant in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Compared to most recruitment agencies where meaningless KPIs (i.e. time spent on the phone per week) are obsessed over, Morgan McKinley is definitely more relaxed as a work environment and occasionally sees value in things other than numbers.. Also, they generally hire amenable and dynamic people, so the company culture is fun and vibrant. They are also very encouraging when it comes to training up staff and giving them a clear internal career development path (despite it being 95% based on billings).

Cons

The upper management tend to be quite short-sighted and have had issues with prioritisation.. On a micro-level, if you bill a lot in a short time you are basically given a pass for a while.. Macro: when times are good they get quixotic, hiring like mad and upgrading/opening new offices.. This bites the whole company back when revenue inevitably goes down.. Also, on certain teams it's more valuable to be a robot than to actually know what you're talking about.. They pay a lot of lip service to the model solid consultant being one who knows their subject matter and having long-standing relationships with their clients based on professional respect, but this all flies out the window if you bill and will not save you if you're not billing.. Again, take that with a grain of salt because at other recruitment agencies they'd be much more brutal.. Finally: the bonus structure.. It's shockingly unfair.. I won't go into details, but you have to bill quite a lot before you stand to make a bonus, and if you're under your targets for two consecutive quarters, you basically find yourself in a hole that you'll only dig your way out of with a couple recruitment miracles.. This gives employees the choice to either stay without hope of getting a bonus, or just start to look for new jobs while surviving off the basic salary.. The bonus structure is by and large the reason for the high turnover of staff.

6 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Former Temporary Employee

Nice place to work

Nov 10, 2021 - Staff Accountant in Cork
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice offices. City centre location.

Cons

High staff turnover. Complicated systems

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Honest Review, I really enjoyed my time at MMK and sad it didn't work out. Would recommend them for sure.

Apr 1, 2020 - Recruitment Consultant in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Close knit teams, which is good as there really is a good culture feel. Everyone in there was helpful, made suggestions and helps out, candidate sharing not hoarding, engaging and friendly - nights out organised, team games etc. They do have high expectations (and rightly so), passionate - really hard working for the benefit of the client which is so under rated - not a bunch of cow-boys, lovely office and working environment, great training - really intuitive and engaging - management and consultants run them so you know its from people actually doing your job training you, flexibility and ability to work from home was under rated - especially in current times. Experienced leaders and consultants who know the market really well, have some close relationships with clients meaning good access to roles (in my case this was true). Revised commission structure is good. As always focuses on performance = rewards which is good, but allows you to earn from day one.

Cons

Tend to focus only on the positives ("positive news only please"), which can be difficult in hard times - a bit of realism to staff would go along way if people are really struggling with market conditions I think it would help to hear empathy in relation to that. Although I understand that positive news is important for team morale. When someone is struggling although management say the right things I didn't feel they worked properly to help fix them (this could be a clash of personality styles or something else), maybe it was that it didn't sink in until it was too late. Pretty cut throat, feel like you are only good as your last deal. Feel like peoples past achievements are forgotten about or overlooked if things change/take a downturn. Not sure where things can go long term for career progression due to lots of managers, unsure of their structure long term even with the revised pathway to success? Apparently some people aren't happy with the revised plans, could result in them earning less money. Think there is a relatively high turnover in a couple areas of the business, but mainly its stable.

Marketing Assistant

Thank you for your review and sharing your thoughts. We take on board your feedback and are grateful for this insight, in order to help us improve. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time at Morgan McKinley and wish you every success in your future.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

It's ok

Feb 3, 2020 - Recruiter in Tokyo
      Business Outlook

Pros

- transparent commission schemes - some small events

Cons

- unclear career progression - micromanagement/political/high turnover depends on team - fear strategies as a motivator tool

1 person found this review helpful

People Director

Thank you for your feedback. We take all feedback seriously, and I will be sharing your commentary with our senior team.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 Reviews