Morgan McKinley Employee Reviews about "working environment"

Updated 5 Jun 2020

4.3
Morgan McKinley CEO Aldagh McDonogh
Aldagh McDonogh
Pros
Cons
  • "Think there is a relatively high turnover in a couple areas of the business, but mainly its stable(in 18 reviews)

• "Still a lot more room to implement even more flexible working arrangements to improve work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "working environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "It's about the people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Morgan McKinley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at Morgan McKinley for 2 years and had a great experience. I learnt so much new skills and there was always a team member to help you. Even being one of the most successful recruitment firms in London, Morgan McKinley still listens to their staff. Keeping their staff happy is their number one priority. They are extremely flexible in giving employees new challenges when asked. For new employees coming in to the business it is an extremely social & friendly work environment.

Cons

Nothing bad to say. They were extremely flexible.

August 23, 2017Global Marketing Executive

Thank you for your feedback. It’s great to hear about your positive experience working at Morgan McKinley and we appreciate you sharing your experience.

"Better than 90% of recruitment agencies"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Morgan McKinley full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compared to most recruitment agencies where meaningless KPIs (i.e. time spent on the phone per week) are obsessed over, Morgan McKinley is definitely more relaxed as a work environment and occasionally sees value in things other than numbers.. Also, they generally hire amenable and dynamic people, so the company culture is fun and vibrant. They are also very encouraging when it comes to training up staff and giving them a clear internal career development path (despite it being 95% based on billings).

Cons

The upper management tend to be quite short-sighted and have had issues with prioritisation.. On a micro-level, if you bill a lot in a short time you are basically given a pass for a while.. Macro: when times are good they get quixotic, hiring like mad and upgrading/opening new offices.. This bites the whole company back when revenue inevitably goes down.. Also, on certain teams it's more valuable to be a robot than to actually know what you're talking about.. They pay a lot of lip service to the model solid consultant being one who knows their subject matter and having long-standing relationships with their clients based on professional respect, but this all flies out the window if you bill and will not save you if you're not billing.. Again, take that with a grain of salt because at other recruitment agencies they'd be much more brutal.. Finally: the bonus structure.. It's shockingly unfair.. I won't go into details, but you have to bill quite a lot before you stand to make a bonus, and if you're under your targets for two consecutive quarters, you basically find yourself in a hole that you'll only dig your way out of with a couple recruitment miracles.. This gives employees the choice to either stay without hope of getting a bonus, or just start to look for new jobs while surviving off the basic salary.. The bonus structure is by and large the reason for the high turnover of staff.

Continue reading

"Great chances for career progression, global firm"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time for more than a year

Pros

*Great training and structures in place to develop your career in recruitment *Opportunities to move around the world within Morgan McKinley, strong presence in Asia/Far East *Positive and friendly environment - don't feel like you are micro managed *Corporate and professional working environment

Cons

*More support needs to be given to new members of teams and introduction to other members of different desks in the office. Sometimes there is not enough interaction between teams. This is getting better since the office restructure but more work needs to be done

Continue reading
  4. "Great culture and progress"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time

Pros

Really good culture and good working environment

Cons

Lack of benefits Big focus on targets and KPI's

July 29, 2020Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you have positively rated your experience at Morgan McKinley and we wish you every success in your future with us.

5. "Honest Review, I really enjoyed my time at MMK and sad it didn't work out. Would recommend them for sure."

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Sydney

I worked at Morgan McKinley full-time for less than a year

Pros

Close knit teams, which is good as there really is a good culture feel. Everyone in there was helpful, made suggestions and helps out, candidate sharing not hoarding, engaging and friendly - nights out organised, team games etc. They do have high expectations (and rightly so), passionate - really hard working for the benefit of the client which is so under rated - not a bunch of cow-boys, lovely office and working environment, great training - really intuitive and engaging - management and consultants run them so you know its from people actually doing your job training you, flexibility and ability to work from home was under rated - especially in current times. Experienced leaders and consultants who know the market really well, have some close relationships with clients meaning good access to roles (in my case this was true). Revised commission structure is good. As always focuses on performance = rewards which is good, but allows you to earn from day one.

Cons

Tend to focus only on the positives ("positive news only please"), which can be difficult in hard times - a bit of realism to staff would go along way if people are really struggling with market conditions I think it would help to hear empathy in relation to that. Although I understand that positive news is important for team morale. When someone is struggling although management say the right things I didn't feel they worked properly to help fix them (this could be a clash of personality styles or something else), maybe it was that it didn't sink in until it was too late. Pretty cut throat, feel like you are only good as your last deal. Feel like peoples past achievements are forgotten about or overlooked if things change/take a downturn. Not sure where things can go long term for career progression due to lots of managers, unsure of their structure long term even with the revised pathway to success? Apparently some people aren't happy with the revised plans, could result in them earning less money. Think there is a relatively high turnover in a couple areas of the business, but mainly its stable.

April 2, 2020Marketing Assistant

Thank you for your review and sharing your thoughts. We take on board your feedback and are grateful for this insight, in order to help us improve. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time at Morgan McKinley and wish you every success in your future.

6. "Company in good transformation"

Consultant in Admiralty

I have been working at Morgan McKinley for more than a year

Pros

-New MD is way different than previous Managment, he is nice, approachable and always open for conversation, always positive and brings good energy to workplace -open and democratic working environment now -Great client pool, lots of terms signed -Great resources for candidate sourcing -Good marketing team and tools to drive sales -Good L&D -Flexible working environment, not as robotic as the firms I worked at before -Work life balance, no need to wait for the manager to off duty, can go on time if you want -can earn a lot if you are hard working -peers are nice -Clean pantry with nice view, always have fruits and snacks

Cons

Takes few months time to drive all the changes

Continue reading
  7. "Overall a good experience"

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time

Pros

Great work environment with excellent colleagues and flexible hours. There is a diverse work load depending on your role and opportunity to change roles internally.

Cons

There can be a high turnover within the company and management is sometimes slow to act.

8. "The best recruitment company I have worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent work environment, work life balance and flexibility to work from home, leave early or start later as needed, focus is on quality of your work and output and not how long you spend in the office. Leadership genuinely cares about your ideas and input and will always encourage you to grow The team is encouraging, no back stabbing and they are all always happy with your success.

Cons

I know that opportunities to work internationally and move to other disciplines is available, but would want to have a clear view of what roles are vacant onshore and offshore and an idea on how to get a conversation started if there is interest to move.

May 16, 2019Global Marketing Executive

We appreciate you sharing your feedback and are really pleased to hear about your positive experience working in our Sydney office. Should you wish to find out more about the global opportunities we have on offer, then please reach out in confidence to Steph Newth or anyone from our Talent Acquisition team directly. We wish you a long and successful career in Team MMK.

9. "Very global and progressive working environment, with healthy balance of freedom and support."

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Tokyo

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Global Support Network. Experienced managers who believe in mentoring - invest a lot of time and effort when people are starting out. Growing office so opportunities for progression Individuals are encouraged to build their own markets and business. As long as you are working hard and contributing to the business and the brand, managers give a lot of freedom with less focus on KPIs. Good commissions. Open and relaxed working environment. Good team work. Flexible working arrangements.

Cons

Still a lot more room to implement even more flexible working arrangements to improve work/life balance.

March 14, 2019Global Marketing Executive

Thanks for sharing your feedback, which has been great for us to read! It's fantastic to hear all the positive experiences you're having in our Tokyo office, and we appreciate your 'what-outs' for the future. Wishing you a long and happy career at MMK.

10. "Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment, excellent commission and a wonderful development.

Cons

None that I can think of.

March 14, 2019Global Marketing Executive

Thanks for sharing your review with us. It's great to hear your positive views on working in our Sydney office. Long may it continue!

Found 28 reviews