Myplanet Employee Reviews about "leadership team"

Updated 25 Jun 2020

4.6
Myplanet Founder and CEO Jason Cottrell (no image)
Jason Cottrell
Pros
  • "Work life balance (Really understand that employees have life outside work)(in 11 reviews)

• "Supportive leadership team and are focused 100% on the success of the business(in 10 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "leadership team"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "An employee focused company with a great design and bucapabilities"

Current Employee - Accounts in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Focused on building platforms that last, not just delivering projects - Working culture is great - Supportive leadership team and are focused 100% on the success of the business

Cons

- There are areas to improve but they are open about the plan in how we get there

2. "Great people, great culture, interesting work. What's not to love?"

Current Contractor - Product Strategist

I have been working at Myplanet for more than a year

Pros

- Great CEO and leadership team that actually cares about employees - Amazing work culture and opportunities to work on interesting projects - Transparency and expectations setup from the beginning

Cons

- Have to fight for allocation of developers and designers sometimes

Continue reading

"By far the best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Product Strategist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Organization genuinely cares about their employees - Structured soft & hard skills development and professional growth - Good opportunities for career progression - Interesting mix of enterprise-level clients and projects - Plenty of learning opportunities, including regular in-office talks, library, online resources and more - Welcoming, open and diverse culture - Awesome, hard-working colleagues who are real experts in their respective fields - Very flexible on WFH and core hours - they realize that employees have lives outside of the office - The Leadership Team are available, communicative and hands-on - Strike an excellent balance of autonomy and support - So. Many. Dogs.

Cons

- Work can ramp up and down quickly, meaning some days might be very quiet while others are extremely busy - this doesn't suit everyone.

June 13, 2019Content & Community Strategy

Great to hear you’ve had such a positive first year at Myplanet (and that you like the growing population of dogs!). You’re absolutely right about the challenges faced in professional services settings like ours: trying to predict and balance project workloads to maintain a steady cadence for everyone isn’t always possible, but we strive to ensure it never goes too far out of whack. Of course, if ever you feel it does, please reach out to the Core Leadership Team and/or your personal growth mentor so they can do their best to respond accordingly.

"Really on a roll, so proud to be a part of this team"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

I love my team. I'm proud to be part of a company that's at the leading edge of how technology will change how we work. The leadership has successfully transitioned many incoming projects to have a heavy emphasis on data and AI, and they have built one of the leading Voice / Conversation practice areas in North America. The team tends to be modest, but they have amassed an impressive customer roster comprised of the top tech companies and brands. The focus on Smarter Interfaces seems to be paying off. The company has been growing consistently and recently raised funding. I love my colleagues, and it's been years since I've been this energized by my work. Katie, Jada and the hiring team have really refined the hiring process, so those that do join are of a high calibre. These people are surprisingly cross-disciplinary... Myplanet is the first place I've worked where design, engineering and product really respect each other and collaborate. I also appreciate the significant effort put into creating an inclusive and accessible workplace. When I need time with family, my team empathizes and works with me to accommodate. I was able to attend the Myplanet Mind training program since I joined, and mindfulness is now a part of my daily routines. The company invests heavily in professional development, mentorship, and has established clear career paths that give me choices.

Cons

Never enough meeting rooms, though the office expansion should fix that . You need to be comfortable working in a cross-functional team. If you prefer working on your own, Myplanet may not be the right choice for you. The leadership team is very busy and so you need to be good at working with your team and troubleshooting on your own. Performance reviews give great feedback, but often arrive a month or two late.

January 30, 2019CEO

This kind of feedback makes me so happy: “I love my colleagues, and it's been years since I've been this energized by my work.” Our vision is to re-energize how people connect in the workplace and we firmly believe that starts here in our own workplace. I’m feeling re-energized just reading that! You mention leadership time is tough to come by, and you’re right, it’s a small team and as the company grows are time gets spread across more and more people. But it’s also by design: we want our teams to feel empowered to make decisions and, as you say, “troubleshoot on [their] own”. Leadership doesn’t have to come from someone with a more senior title! I truly believe that anyone in any role can be a leader and our growth style and company structure has always been in service of that belief. I’ve often found the best way to foster leadership is to give people the chance to do it. It’s part of why there’s such a heavy emphasis on collaboration, as well. That said, if you’re ever feeling like you’d like more support feel free to reach out to myself or your Professional Development Mentor or Supervisor and we’ll work to make sure you’re getting the support you need.

5. "A Remarkable Workplace With An Unbeatable Culture, Prioritizing People And Work/Life Balance."

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been at Myplanet for a little over 6 months now and I must say that I am completely impressed by my experience so far. Here are some notable items: GENERAL PERKS: - Plenty of opportunities to receive and provide mentorship - Remote working/work from home friendly - Flexible working hours/schedule - 5 "awesome days" for all employees to work on professional development, projects or anything you want to learn to better your skills - Profit sharing and stock options - Pet friendly office. You can bring your dog to work. A very nice way to relieve stress in the work place - Office inside of a cool historic building in Toronto (tall ceilings, big windows, exposed brick, etc.) - Professional development budget for books, courses, some conferences and even buying new tech VALUES & CULTURE: - Myplanet has a solid culture, series of process and wonderful people - Strong culture of inclusivity that feels authentic - Hack days every quarter where you can collaborate with people from across different teams to solve interesting design/tech/business - Great pride in providing amazing customer experiences problems - Company is investing time and resources in very interesting areas like AR, VR, Voice-Tech... amongst others - There is a strong culture of knowledge sharing and promoting thought leadership - Myplanet is solid is in documenting its processes. The company wiki is great and super helpful. - Lightning talks every week. A chance to watch an interesting presentation done by another team member, and enjoy drinks and snacks with everyone - Culture of mindfulness and meditation is present throughout the company - 360 degree reviews are done every quarter, where you self-assess yourself and your peers which help inform your semi-annual compensation reviews PEOPLE & LEADERSHIP: - My coworkers are very intelligent and fascinating people - The IT staff are very great in providing you with fast tech support and the right tools to help you get your job done well. - The leadership team are very down to earth and are very approachable - 4 of the 5 original founders still work for the company - CEO is a very nice guy and actually takes the time to get to know people - Paths of advancements are made very clear to employees - Managers work closely with employees for professional development - People are given shoutouts for doing good work as well as for general celebrations (birthdays, work anniversaries, etc.) MISC.: - They have an impressive portfolio of clients and partners (some you'll learn more about upon joining the team) - Opportunities to travel for work if you work in a client-services oriented role - The company is always on brand - Employee retention seems quite strong

Cons

Like any company, it has some growing pains but nothing too major. The building is split into 3 floors so sometimes you feel separated from people on the other floors. The space is starting to feel more full as a result of growth. But the leadership team is acquiring more space to handle that. The office can feel quiet sometimes because people are offsite for client visits and so on. There are no stocked shelves full of snacks like other tech companies (that could change though)

Continue reading

"Inspiring leaders and smart employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- The smartest people I’ve ever worked with, always willing to help and share their knowledge. - The leadership team is a group of passionate and intelligent people who really do care about their employees. - There is a competency model the company uses to evaluate employees, 360 reviews, biweekly professional development meetings and other frameworks in place to help you grow in your desired career path. - The work is challenging and fun, the company's initiatives in new technologies, smart interfaces and AI is super exciting. - The leadership is transparent and open. There are quarterly meetings to communicate company's direction and strategies. - The company culture around constantly making improvements to processes and operations is very encouraging. - Small but really appreciated: All desks can be adjusted to be standing desks!

Cons

Nothing major stands out to me but an area of improvement could be enhancing the breakout/collaboration spaces so they better facilitate myplanet's co-working culture.

November 7, 2017CEO

Thank-you so much for taking the time to post your review. We always like to say that the people at Myplanet are the number one perk. :) We're really glad that you agree. We are also very excited by the progressive work our team is completing around smarter interfaces and AI. We have an opportunity to be a true leader in this domain. I've added your suggestion around targeted upgrades to our collaboration spaces to the Monday meeting I have with our Directors. I agree, there are some simple changes we can make here that can make a difference. If you have any specific requests please do message me.

"Growth-focused, talent-driven. Company for people who want to be people"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Myplanet's greatest strength are the people at the company. The talent level is very high and everyone is friendly and collaborative. The level of emotional intelligence is high. Projects are self-organizing and driven by the team members. The level of engagement and ownership is very high as a result. The biggest thing about Myplanet is that I like the people I work with. I like the work we do. I have autonomy over how we do it. And I feel like I'm empowered to do the best I can. The company is dedicated to fostering an open culture. You can actually tell the C-level leadership what you think and they will listen. During company status meetings there are multiple venues to ask questions to accommodate different communication styles and locations. There's also plenty of 1-on-1 mentorship and syncs. The company also actively considers diversity and has a diversity committee to explore how to be more diverse. The leadership team has stumbled in the past but has found it's way more recently. The open and iterative approach to leadership has definitely yielded results. In addition, more support is being offered by the extended leadership team than in the past. The path of advancement has been clarified and they are very clear in what kinds of people in different leadership roles.

Cons

Seniority isn't really a way to get your way here. It's a strong meritocracy. You need to be both strong technically, and an effective and empathetic communicator to be able to influence your team mates. You need to be able to explain why your decisions are correct while being respectful and collaborative. I wouldn't say this is a "drawback" necessarily, but for people coming in who expect to have a more traditional culture, it can be a shock. Another downside is that projects can "follow you around". The nature of services is that you're doing something new 1-2 times per year, which is great for keeping it fresh. However, if you're a crucial person to the project then you can get pulled back into support it in exceptional circumstances (which affects your current commitments). The company has a support team which is supposed to handle these kinds of things, but it's still improving.

October 24, 2017CEO

We really appreciate the time you spent to write this review. You've called out a number of the hallmarks of the Myplanet experience, traits that we have (and continue to) reinforce and improve upon. We like to call it a culture of makers, collaborators and entrepreneurs. For team members who are joining, they are sometimes shocked that seniority doesn't carry as much substance as they might expect from other workplaces. We will indeed continue to challenge for not just seniority, but also substance and strong communication. We believe that makes everyone stronger. We will continue to make hand-offs to our support team cleaner, not just to ensure focus for our team members, but also the fastest response time for our customers who have support contracts. With respect to growing and retaining our strongest talent, this remains an absolute priority. Please do ping me on Slack, via e-mail or join this week's Morning Coffee (AMA) to ask what we have planned around talent retention. I'd love to hear any feedback you might have.

"Great place to work at"

I have been working at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- really smart co-workers - ambitious leadership team who are also very open to inputs - a lot of potential to grow - the company actually cares about their employees

Cons

- the last few years, the growth has been limited BUT that is changing now - the long-term strategy/ vision of the company is unclear sometimes

9. "Really nice place to work and be part of a team"

Current Contractor - Devops Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Myplanet for less than a year

Pros

- TeamWork - Leadership Team - Environment - Mission - Vision - Strategy - Culture I'd like to recommend this company to anyone that would like to have a good work-life-balance and enjoy an outstanding place to play as hard as you can and helping each other to achieve success as a team.

Cons

I could not see any cons point so far.

"Great work environment"

I worked at Myplanet full-time

Pros

- Everyone at the company enjoys working with one another - Lots of room to grow and opportunity to work on a variety of projects - Leadership team keen on helping each team member grow (with budget on conferences and professional development) - Flexible work from home policies - Great office!

Cons

- Company direction wasn't clear at times

August 17, 2017CEO

Thank-you so much for your review. I'm fortunate to work as part of a leadership team that's exceptionally dedicated to the growth of their team members. It's great to see that you have recognized the calibre of the team members we bring onboard. As we scale Myplanet, we remain focused on making smarter interfaces for the workplace. We're a software studio, and know this is an important challenge our rare blend of designers and developers can solve.

Found 12 reviews