NHS Blood and Transplant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 10 Feb 2020

4.0
NHS Blood and Transplant Chief Executive  Betsy Bassis
Betsy Bassis
Pros
  • "I've always felt supported as a working Mum and the flexible working arrangements make working life smoother(in 10 reviews)

• "I've experienced lots of opportunity for professional development since working at NHSBT, and feel like a valued member of the team(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are many great NHS organisations -this is not one of them(in 6 reviews)

• "The salary isn't as good as when I worked in the private sector(in 3 reviews)

1. "Great"

Current Employee - Healthcare Technical Officer in Manchester, England

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good environment, great people, fun place to work

Cons

Some tasks can be a bit boring

NHS Blood and Transplant2020-01-30
  2. "Overall good"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Analyst in Leeds, England

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Good atmosphere -Good management -Annual leave time

Cons

-Job itself is sometime repetitive -Not a lot of forward thinking when I comes to technology -IT system awful

NHS Blood and Transplant2020-02-04
  3. "Overall good employer"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Team Leader

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pension scheme. Some good retail discounts. Some good development opportunities up to a certain level

Cons

Poor ethical culture and low emphasis on quality. Doesn't value employees or work to retain them

NHS Blood and Transplant2020-02-10
  4. "Chewed up and Spat/Burnt Out"

Former Employee - Band 8 Manager

I worked at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary/Holidays (if you have anytime to take them or spend any money)Pension (if you can last more than 2 years), interesting valuable work. Some talented people here.

Cons

Insane and unhealthy workload led to me working excessive hours. I was told at interview that the contracted hours were 37.5. I was working 50-60hrs per week, with no extra pay or recognition of this, working mostly without breaks. I wasn't the only manager in this situation. In my time at NHSBT I discovered a culture created by SMT that encourages this. It was a badge of honour to be seen to be working long hours. In my department there was substantial abuse of time keeping with team members having double the length of breaks a day and finishing early on Friday. I raised this within the first few months of joining NHSBT with my HOD my concern being operational effectiveness and efficiency, but no action was taken. This had been the way the department had operated since inception and that was the way it stayed. This prevented me delegating my tasks and led to a very unfair workload between managers and staff - in most weeks my calculated hourly rate of pay was less than my reports. In my department people were resistant to change , it had a very old school hierarchical feel to it. With many big egos in big ivory towers . Try challenging the top brass and you will feel the heat. You will be TARGETED and squeezed out of the organisation. It basically works like this; Your work becomes highly scrutinised with the tiniest of errors being recorded, collated and emailed to superiors. Actions become greater in number , reuiring more details and stricter deadlines being enforced. This leads to a huge increase to an already heavy workload. Work colleagues then stop responding to emails, phone calls and general chit chat. I was ignored, undermined and isolated. This will then sets up for failure and eventually resignation. It called performance managed out - and management team are exceptionally good at this. Note to reader - this is my experience only. NHSBT is a large organisation and generally well thought of organisation - but it aint perfect.

NHS Blood and Transplant2020-01-19

NHS Blood and Transplant Response

January 28, 2020

I'm extremely saddened to hear of your experience whilst working at NHSBT and would be very keen to meet with you personally to understand more. Clearly this is absolutely not the experience we would expect any colleague to have whilst working here and therefore I would be grateful if you could contact Gill Travis, Head of National Recruitment & Resourcing via HR Direct (at hrdirect@nhsbt.nhs.uk or on 0117 322 7700), Gill will happy to speak with you and, if necessary, raise any concerns or issues you have with senior management.

Continue reading
  5. "Has been good, going downhill."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Some great people. Good purpose

Cons

Leadership shocking and getting worse.

NHS Blood and Transplant2019-12-28

NHS Blood and Transplant Response

January 2, 2020

Thank you for your comments. We are always concerned if staff are in any way unhappy with anything that impacts their employment and are sorry that you feel this way about the leadership/management at NHSBT. If you would like to discuss your concerns further please contact Gill Travis, Head of National Recruitment & Resourcing via HR Direct (at hrdirect@nhsbt.nhs.uk or on 0117 322 7700), Gill will happy to speak with you and, if necessary, raise any concerns or issues you have with senior management.

Continue reading
  6. "Positive & supportive workplace"

Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time

Pros

Each day is interesting and varying. Colleagues are both motivating and lovely to work with.

Cons

Not much socialising between departments.

NHS Blood and Transplant2019-10-11
  7. "It was ok"

Former Employee - Healthcare Technical Officer

I worked at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive, Respectful, Communication, Technical competency, Problem solving

Cons

Hard to move up Work ethic Flexibility Willing to learn

NHS Blood and Transplant2019-10-23

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some decent people. Nice offices.

Cons

There are many great NHS organisations -this is not one of them. Favouritism, cliques and poor management are rife here. The workload can be impossible and you are expected to work unpaid overtime to complete things. Management are unapproachable and don’t seem to care if you have a problem any way. I thought working in the NHS I would feel like a person and not a number but unfortunately this is not the case. There is also very little opportunity to progress unless you are willing to relocate.

NHS Blood and Transplant2019-10-09
  9. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - Recruiting Assistant

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I work with the best team I've ever worked with and have very supportive and encouraging managers.

Cons

The salary isn't as good as when I worked in the private sector.

NHS Blood and Transplant2019-09-23
  10. "Always helpful and efficient"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Sheffield, England

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have always found the recruitment department to be efficient, knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about the recruitment department

NHS Blood and Transplant2019-09-13

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 48 reviews