NHS Blood and Transplant Reviews

Updated 8 Jun 2020

3.8
NHS Blood and Transplant Chief Executive  Betsy Bassis
Betsy Bassis
Pros
  • "I've always felt supported as a working Mum and the flexible working arrangements make working life smoother(in 11 reviews)

• "I've experienced lots of opportunity for professional development since working at NHSBT, and feel like a valued member of the team(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are many great NHS organisations -this is not one of them(in 6 reviews)

• "The salary isn't as good as when I worked in the private sector(in 3 reviews)

1. "Good professional development"

Former Employee - Student in Nottingham, England

I worked at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time

Pros

Designated training/ development oppurtunities available

Cons

None I can think of

"Inspiring purpose but lack flexibility"

4.0
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist

I worked at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time

Pros

Being part of some important and fascinating work. Variety of the work from blood donor teams to transplant nurses.

Cons

National nature means a lot of travel if in a central role. Despite offering flexible employment options on application, they do not allow any non standard arrangements eg compressed hours. A lot of jobs given as temporary promotions which feel insecure for people in them and a questionable promotion process-right networks which work well if you are in them. Not sure the action always meets the talk.

"Extremely Bias and Racist Organisation"

1.0
    Former Employee - Manufacturing in London, England

I worked at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you want to be tormented, then this is the place for you.

Cons

This is not the place to work if you are BAME. Organisation is extremely racist and does not treat BAME people fairly. HR policies are outdated and slow to change. Worst working experience of my life - I am forever traumatised by this experience.

June 16, 2020

I am extremely saddened to hear of your experience whilst working at NHSBT and would be very keen to speak with you personally to understand more. Clearly this is absolutely not the experience we would expect any colleague to have whilst working here and therefore I would be grateful if you could contact Gill Travis, Head of National Recruitment & Resourcing or Jazz Sehmi, Diversity & Inclusion Manager via HR Direct (at hrdirect@nhsbt.nhs.uk or on 0117 322 7700), Gill or Jazz will happy to speak with you and, if necessary, raise any concerns or issues you have with senior management.

4. "Overall good"

4.0
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Analyst in Leeds, England

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Good atmosphere -Good management -Annual leave time

Cons

-Job itself is sometime repetitive -Not a lot of forward thinking when I comes to technology -IT system awful

5. "Great"

Current Employee - Healthcare Technical Officer in Manchester, England

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good environment, great people, fun place to work

Cons

Some tasks can be a bit boring

6. "Overall good employer"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Team Leader

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pension scheme. Some good retail discounts. Some good development opportunities up to a certain level

Cons

Poor ethical culture and low emphasis on quality. Doesn't value employees or work to retain them

7. "Chewed up and Spat/Burnt Out"

2.0
    Former Employee - Band 8 Manager

I worked at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary/Holidays (if you have anytime to take them or spend any money)Pension (if you can last more than 2 years), interesting valuable work. Some talented people here.

Cons

Insane and unhealthy workload led to me working excessive hours. I was told at interview that the contracted hours were 37.5. I was working 50-60hrs per week, with no extra pay or recognition of this, working mostly without breaks. I wasn't the only manager in this situation. In my time at NHSBT I discovered a culture created by SMT that encourages this. It was a badge of honour to be seen to be working long hours. In my department there was substantial abuse of time keeping with team members having double the length of breaks a day and finishing early on Friday. I raised this within the first few months of joining NHSBT with my HOD my concern being operational effectiveness and efficiency, but no action was taken. This had been the way the department had operated since inception and that was the way it stayed. This prevented me delegating my tasks and led to a very unfair workload between managers and staff - in most weeks my calculated hourly rate of pay was less than my reports. In my department people were resistant to change , it had a very old school hierarchical feel to it. With many big egos in big ivory towers . Try challenging the top brass and you will feel the heat. You will be TARGETED and squeezed out of the organisation. It basically works like this; Your work becomes highly scrutinised with the tiniest of errors being recorded, collated and emailed to superiors. Actions become greater in number , reuiring more details and stricter deadlines being enforced. This leads to a huge increase to an already heavy workload. Work colleagues then stop responding to emails, phone calls and general chit chat. I was ignored, undermined and isolated. This will then sets up for failure and eventually resignation. It called performance managed out - and management team are exceptionally good at this. Note to reader - this is my experience only. NHSBT is a large organisation and generally well thought of organisation - but it aint perfect.

January 28, 2020

I'm extremely saddened to hear of your experience whilst working at NHSBT and would be very keen to meet with you personally to understand more. Clearly this is absolutely not the experience we would expect any colleague to have whilst working here and therefore I would be grateful if you could contact Gill Travis, Head of National Recruitment & Resourcing via HR Direct (at hrdirect@nhsbt.nhs.uk or on 0117 322 7700), Gill will happy to speak with you and, if necessary, raise any concerns or issues you have with senior management.

8. "Has been good, going downhill."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Some great people. Good purpose

Cons

Leadership shocking and getting worse.

January 2, 2020

Thank you for your comments. We are always concerned if staff are in any way unhappy with anything that impacts their employment and are sorry that you feel this way about the leadership/management at NHSBT. If you would like to discuss your concerns further please contact Gill Travis, Head of National Recruitment & Resourcing via HR Direct (at hrdirect@nhsbt.nhs.uk or on 0117 322 7700), Gill will happy to speak with you and, if necessary, raise any concerns or issues you have with senior management.

9. "Positive & supportive workplace"

Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time

Pros

Each day is interesting and varying. Colleagues are both motivating and lovely to work with.

Cons

Not much socialising between departments.

10. "It was ok"

Former Employee - Healthcare Technical Officer

I worked at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive, Respectful, Communication, Technical competency, Problem solving

Cons

Hard to move up Work ethic Flexibility Willing to learn

Found 52 reviews