NHS Blood and Transplant Employee Reviews about "flexible working"

Updated 25 Oct 2020

3.8
NHS Blood and Transplant Chief Executive  Betsy Bassis
Betsy Bassis
Pros
  • "There are great perks such as flexible working and high annual leave allowance, which makes for a good work-life balance(in 12 reviews)

• "There are huge opportunities to develop here, probably more than any organisation I've worked in, whether private or public sector(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are many great NHS organisations -this is not one of them(in 6 reviews)

• "The salary isn't as good as when I worked in the private sector(in 3 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "flexible working"

Return to all Reviews

"Great team and management with lots of opportunity for development"

Current Employee - Recruitment Advisor in Sheffield, England

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than a year

Pros

A really friendly and progressive environment to work in, that is aided by supportive management who take the time to listen. I've experienced lots of opportunity for professional development since working at NHSBT, and feel like a valued member of the team. No two days are the same, as the role is busy and challenging but in a good way. There are great perks such as flexible working and high annual leave allowance, which makes for a good work-life balance. Moving to NHSBT was one of the best decisions I've made.

Cons

The pay is lower than working in the private sector, however this is easily outweighed by the good work-life balance, pension and feel-good factor you get from working for the NHS.

2. "Okay"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Senior Personal Assistant in Leeds, England

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great location Flexible working hours

Cons

Relocating to Barnsley 2nd in command is not very nice

Continue reading

3. "Rewarding job and great team"

5.0

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Its great to work for an organisation that does so much support the wider NHS and helps 'save and improve' patients lives. I came here for 2 years but 11 years later I am still enjoying the challenges and the job satisfaction. I have worked with some great managers and colleagues who really care about what we do. Many of my colleagues could earn more in the private sector but they prefer to stay here because they feel strongly about the work we do and because of the work life balance / flexible working options. As NHSBT has many facets to what it does there are also opportunities to move around within the organisation and I have had lots of opportunities to be involved in different projects.

Cons

As a large organisation spread across may sites it can be challenging to makes changes to our IT infrastructure but this is moving forward

4. "HR Business Partner"

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Birmingham, England

Pros

Support colleagues, passion and drive for the organisation goal of saving and improving lives, interesting and demanding work, career opportunities - varied, flexible working options, no two days are the same, variety of roles and projects, core processes and procedures are extremely thorough, customer service and support/advisory service for employees - HR Direct and Recruitment team. Lots of work ongoing in terms of employee engagement and health and well being. Great team atmosphere in the different centre locations - always something going on.

Cons

National aspect can be a pro and a con, you have to work harder to stay connected with everyone and always consider your communication routes with this varied and geographically spread organisation.

"A Great Place to Work"

5.0

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Joined the organisation to cover one year maternity leave, and 13 years later, I'm still here! A great place to work, where development opportunities are there for anyone who is keen to take them on. I've always felt supported as a working Mum and the flexible working arrangements make working life smoother. There is a continued commitment towards making the organisation a Great Place to Work and a positive drive to become more inclusive.

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind.

"Nhsbt"

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant

Pros

Lovely people, great work ethic, 28 days holiday and flexible working. Interesting work. Everyone feels part of a teaml

Cons

Management can be secretive. Not right at the top but middle management and assistant directors. Changes are made without consulting staff. Recognition not given to those who deserve it and some staff are overlooked in promotions who really work hard.

Continue reading

"a fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Management Graduate in Sheffield, England

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone at NHSBT is really friendly, I have been welcomed into the organisation incredibly quickly. There are lots of opportunities to train and develop. We do fantastic work, helping people and saving lives, so every day you can be proud of your job and what you achieve. My job is interesting and challenging, I work with a wide variety of people on a diversity of projects. Management are engaging and attempt to be transparent at all times, listening to all staff in the organisation. The benefits are great, flexible working is possible, management are caring, we are given 28 days holiday minimum, and everyone is accommodating.

Cons

There is quite a lot of national travel which can be difficult, but a lot of the centres are easy to get to.

Continue reading

"Positive with room for improvement"

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for less than a year

Pros

Helping to save lives. Open management style including at board level. Technical innovacy with new IT systems. Flexible working.

Cons

Many institutionalised 'old timer' staff make new working practises hard to implement due to resistance. Mediocre efficiency in many business areas. Poor collaboration of teams at times. Changes are slow and painful to make.

9. "Best employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working, upgraded computer systems, clean bright working environment, health and wellbeing taken seriously.

Cons

Most of the training is electronic and doesn't take into account different learning styles.

10. "Join us!"

I have been working at NHS Blood and Transplant part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible working Great development opportunities Good team work Great variety of jobs Encouraging younger people to join us by offering apprenticeships Everyone who works here is saving lives New IT will make it even better

Cons

Geographically spread out so there can be some travel

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 English Reviews