NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT) Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Dec 8, 2019

3.1
NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT) Commissioner and CIO Samir Saini
Samir Saini
Pros
  • "Great people all around the floor(in 4 reviews)

• "slower pace, if you can get things done it is a great place to be(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay compared to other IT peers, even among other agencies, we are paid among the lowest with zero discretionary salary increases(in 3 reviews)

• "(in 3 reviews)

1. "Very good and nice"

Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT) part-time for less than a year

Pros

GOOD environment for work for all the people.

Cons

NO CONS fir this at now.

NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT)2019-12-08
  2. "Learning about our city"

Former Employee - CCR
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT) full-time for less than a year

Pros

In this position you will learn a lot about how nyc agencies are operated.

Cons

The work atmosphere needs to change.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone with the respect you want.

NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT)2019-12-06
  3. "Good place to work but don’t stay too long"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT) full-time

Pros

Peers are nice. Very professional staff.

Cons

No room to move up unless the boss and the person that has been there longer leaves. Too much favoritism. There is not much to motivate you to do more. No one wants to make any decisions.

Advice to Management

Make sure all of the staff feel like they are part of the team, not just the favorite few.

NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT)2019-12-02
  4. "One and done."

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many colleagues have been here for a VERY LONG time. Which means if you fit in, it's smooth sailing. You'll meet plenty of smart folks that are passionate about what they do.

Cons

Too many undeserving folks running around doing nothing and getting paid 2x-3x more than someone doing everything. All the good people are leaving in droves and they still wonder why. This place also gets so boring quickly, it's a terrible match for someone young and ambitious.

Advice to Management

Stop talking so much and start listening more because you all collectively don't know what you're doing. You've lost a Commissioner and continue to lose good people on a weekly basis. Stop being cheap, IT sector pays, it's time you pay accordingly or people will leave.

NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT)2019-08-31
  5. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer

I have been working at NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of Freedom to collaborate

Cons

Projects go on too long

NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT)2019-07-18
  6. "decent job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

vacation, sick, and personal time off

Cons

career advancement isnt the best

Advice to Management

hire and promote the right employee and from within instead of losing your best employee because you wont promote them.

NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT)2019-03-18

"Good place to start terrible place to stay"

Current Employee - Developer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My team is awesome. Always playing some kind of office prank or interesting discussion.

Cons

Everything else. literally, EVERYTHING about this job is terrible. If I didn't have such a great team I would have left this place years ago.

Advice to Management

Take your head out of your anal cavity.

NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT)2018-06-22
  8. "Politically driven but better than other agencies"

I have been working at NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT) full-time

Pros

Due to the short staff, one can really be involved in all kind of projects as long as you desire to be proactive.

Cons

Place is short staffed and is hard to get things done.

NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT)2018-04-14

"Call Center Representative"

Current Employee - 311 Call Center Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT) full-time

Pros

Really friendly people who are also very helpful and you absolutely learn A LOT about city services and NYC government agencies.

Cons

Where do I start?!? Too much micro managing, trying to get days off is beyond ridiculous and is like pulling teeth just to get leave requests approved!!! They (Workforce) have an absolutely ridiculous and stupid rule that you can’t apply for leave requests beyond 90 days out and 9 times out of 10 the request gets denied. You can apply for vacation 3 months ahead of time and “the workforce powers that be” will... either get denied completely or you’ll get it “chopped up” like having 1 day approved, then the next 2 days denied and then the next day approved!!! I don’t know what kind of forecasting algorithms and formulas they use to forecast staffing needs for three months out (or even two months out), but having your requests denied for a vacation request three months out is in my opinion straight up BS!!!! The pay is quite low for all that 311 CCR workers have to do and for all the nonsense they have to go through and management are also too write up happy in that it doesn’t take much at all to get a write up. One minute late, write up....enter the wrong code, write up, say the wrong term or phrase, write up!! This place is too damn reliant on QA as if it is the end all, be all benchmark measurement indicators. This is the kind of job that you absolutely do not want to make at long term and make it a career!!

Advice to Management

1. Quit with the micromanaging style 2. Absolutely ditch that stupid 90 day rule with regards to not being able to schedule vacation days beyond that time. 3. Memo to Workforce: The entire process of how to go about determining whether your request for time off gets approved absolutely must change ASAP!!! It is beyond unfair!!!

NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT)2018-05-04
  10. "Computer Programmer"

I worked at NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT) full-time

Pros

Good People to work with and great environment.

Cons

No way to move up.

NYC Department of IT & Telecom (DOITT)2018-03-05