National HealthCare Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 15 Jan 2020

3.2
National HealthCare President, CEO, and Director Robert G. Adams
Robert G. Adams
Pros
  • "Quality patient care is job number 1(in 9 reviews)

• "Great team of therapist who are smart, friendly and hardworking(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Short Staffed pretty much all the time(in 9 reviews)

• "Poor management tactics, high turnover due to management(in 6 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant CNA in Nashville, TN

I have been working at National HealthCare part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome staff, good resources, and company support

Cons

Has a big corporation feel at times

National HealthCare2020-01-15
  2. "Supportive environment"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at National HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Administration was very supportive of nursing staff providing you had the best interest for your job, patients and others. Facility scheduler was very accommodating. Nurse manager very knowledgeable. All management was visible and accessible, a very good characteristic that is not common.

Cons

Change in administration that deleted job positions then reinstated them later on after persons had resigned.

National HealthCare2019-12-04
  3. "It can't be better with the proper people in charge"

Former Employee - Dietary Aide in Sumter, SC

I worked at National HealthCare part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love helping others and also love doing what I can for elderly people

Cons

Wages never goes up but once

National HealthCare2020-01-01
  4. "Good"

Current Employee - Clerical in Nashville, TN

I have been working at National HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy going environment, great office staff

Cons

You have to work holidays with just regular pay. No holiday pay. Only holiday you are off are thanksgiving day and Christmas Day. You have to use a vacation day to get pay for both of those days

National HealthCare2019-10-09

"Extremely Under Staffed, Poor Care of Patients, Underpaid for the job done."

Former Employee - CNA in Lewisburg, TN

I worked at National HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free CNA class, low cost lunches.

Cons

The facility basis their staffing needs off of a Census Report. The Census Report consists of how many patients that they have in the building and which hall they are on. If the census is low, they will let employees go (aka CNA's), to keep from having a large payroll. ( But no office staff or management is let go, wonder why?) They do not have enough linen/towels and washcloths for the patients and half of the time, you are using anything at hand to clean a patient, Ex: Bed sheets, pillow cases, bed pads. It is appalling to have to tell a patient that we don't have enough linen and here- just make do. Most of the nurses do not want to help any of the CNA's out. As a CNA it is our duty to provide patient care for the patient, Ex: Get them cleaned/showered and dressed/groomed for the day, change their bed linens, put out and pick up all meal trays, answer call lights, take residents to the restroom. GOD forbid we ask a nurse to help us with a patient. Most responses are that they are too far behind on handing out medications and for us to try to find someone else to help. If a call light goes off and we are elsewhere helping other patients, the nurse will track us down to let us know that the patient needs a bedpan. Seriously? You answered the call light and then came in search for us, to tell us this when you were just right there? There is only ONE weight chair for staff to use. The wheelchair weight chair doesn't work correctly. Out of a 100 person home, they need more weight chairs. Especially when they schedule every single patient to be weighed on the same day. The nurses will also push all vital taking and weights off on the CNA's in between us having to do everything else. One CNA per day has anywhere between 8-10 patients. They will also be scheduled to help in the dining room for breakfast and lunch. If you are on the dining room schedule you lose about 3 hours of your day just feeding patients. You are expected to have your patients up for breakfast. First shift starts at 7am- Breakfast is between 7:30-8:30 am. There is no way you can get 9 patients up in that time frame. You are also expected to have all charting done by the end of the day. Half of the time we can't get to the charting and that earns another write up. Physical therapy will schedule 4-5 of your patients out of your 10 patient day, to be ready by 10 am. Between breakfast, answering call lights, and bathing patients you can't get everyone done in time and then they are yelling at you that these patients need to be prioritized before anyone else. (Sorry that I have to answer 10 call lights in between each patient I am getting ready, I can't tell them to hold their bowels or bladder. We also have to hand feed those patients that need hand feeding.) There is only 2 lift battery chargers for the whole facility. When you have 20+ patients needing to be lifted out of bed and only 2 batteries charged, it is a serious hassle. Sometimes we are manually transferring patients from the bed to their wheelchairs and that causes for more accidents either to the patient or the staff. The other half of the time the patient has to stay in bed for most of the day. Lack of staff means the patients don't get up like they are supposed to. All of the above is a cause for poor patient care. Patients are sometimes sitting in their own urine or feces for hours and there isn't anything we can do about it. (Except get yelled at by upper management and a write up.) Especially on night shift. 1 tech for a whole hall- (30 patients ). There are some patients who never get showers, only daily bed baths. The patients with Colostomy bags have frequent bag bursting due to the nurses not changing them on time. Most of the patients have sores on their bottoms and the women have red rashes underneath their breasts and in their private areas due to the lack of care.

Advice to Management

This facility would run much smoother and have better patient care if there was 1 CNA for 5-6 patients per day. The quality of health and care for the patients would improve. There would be less UTI infections being spread. Less bed sores. Less germs in general. Quite honestly, the patients quality of life would improve. This would also mean, a full facility at almost all times. You would have better reviews and staff members willing to stay and not quit. We are told upon hiring that as a CNA, we shouldn't be there for the pay. It is only $10 an hour. We should just be there for the care of the patients and because we love taking care of people. I am sorry, but for what the CNA's have to do on a daily basis, we should be getting paid much more. $13 an hour would be reasonable to start. Honestly, McDonald's staff get paid more. Your staff would stay longer and you wouldn't loose good techs. My advice would be to have upper management follow and do the work of a CNA for a couple of weeks around the facility and get their hands dirty. Learn the ins and outs of what it is truly like to do this job. How are you to tell us in this position what and how to do the job, if you yourself have never done it?

National HealthCare2019-11-12
  6. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Activities Assistant

I have been working at National HealthCare part-time

Pros

Flexible with time, if you may be late.

Cons

Their is really no overtime.

National HealthCare2019-08-28
  7. "Professionalism"

Former Employee - Corporate

I worked at National HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Treated as a professional, excellent Corp environment.

Cons

New management had different philosophy.

Advice to Management

No experience with current management

National HealthCare2019-08-25

"Chronically understaffed"

Current Employee - CNA

I have been working at National HealthCare full-time

Pros

The residents are great, and you get really attached to some of them. If you want to pick up extra shifts, there are usually opportunities.

Cons

It is a very cliquey work environment, with not enough people willing to help out if needed. Not all CNAs follow resident care plans—too many take shortcuts that endanger the resident, because there is not enough time to get everything done the right way. Frequent call outs mean that you never know what condition your hall will be in when you arrive, and oftentimes residents have been sitting for hours without being changed. When I have to clean up messes from the previous shift, that puts me behind on my assigned tasks for the day, and I get blamed for being slow. It is a steep learning curve for new CNAs. You go from taking care of 4 or so residents during training to 14 or more on second shift, and not all coworkers are willing to help out or answer questions. Be prepared to work for 7+ days straight without a day off, and then be expected to attend a mandatory meeting on the rare day you actually get off. Pay is very low for the level of responsibility you are expected to assume. Don’t plan to call in, ever, without being told your job is at risk. I have worked shifts with coworkers who were vomiting and still not allowed to go home, even though it is a health concern for the residents.

Advice to Management

Train your new CNAs on the shift they will be working, and don’t expect them to run a hall completely by themselves with no help after a week of training. It takes time to learn the residents and get up to speed. It is better for them to learn to do the job correctly than to take shortcuts that endanger the residents. Value the good techs that you have, or they will leave. People who don’t care about the residents create a toxic work environment where no one wins.

National HealthCare2019-09-04
  9. "CNA"

Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant CNA

I worked at National HealthCare full-time

Pros

A lot of the workers there's were very helpful and very team oriented

Cons

I have my cons of this employer but that doesn't mean my cons will be someone else's.

Advice to Management

Listen to your EXPERIENCED techs. They usually know what's going on with patients. Also if you don't see certain techs for longer than usual, go check the empty rooms. They are usually in there sleeping or doing their hair.

National HealthCare2019-08-17
  10. "NHC review"

Current Employee - PTA in Nashville, TN

I have been working at National HealthCare part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They take care of their employees.

Cons

None. I enjoyed everything about my job.

Advice to Management

Show your employees you care.

National HealthCare2019-07-27