National Institute for Health and Care Excellence Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Andrew Dillon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great organisation, Great People, Great Experience"

I worked at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time

Pros

I worked at NICE for nearly 6 years in the CHTE team. I had an overwhelmingly good experience during my time there. I was supported significantly, both on a personal and professional level. I felt the management genuinely cared about it's staff, and worked hard to give people opportunities. The people are some of the most hardworking and intelligent I have ever come across. It was a massive decision for me to leave

In my new role, I now realise how well trained I was. My line managers and superiors always made time to try and upskill me. I was always offered the opportunity to take on new training, despite signficant resource challenges. Similarly, now looking back, I realise just how high quality the outputs are

Cons

The only con to working here is the pressure the organisation is under. They continually do more with less; which leads to more pressure. I found during my time, the work was done, because the vast majority of people went the extra mile. I myself worked far more hours than in my contract. However, I was never pressured to do this. This team in particular, if given time and resource, could do incredible things. I just hope they are given that opportunity.

Advice to Management

Give your talented staff opportunities, and remember to thank them. They go above and beyond, almost every day. A thank you goes a long way.

2. "Very interesting work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They trust you to get on with things
    They are very supportive of development needs
    Flexible working environment
    Interesting area to work in
    Feel like you are making a real difference
    Accepting of challenge

Cons

Employees are able to coast and not be performance managed which can be difficult if they are on your team

3. "Great mission and people, slow to change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and work life balance
    Flexible hours and Toil
    Working from home when needed
    Generous people policies
    Great mission to bring consistency to the NHS
    Free tea and coffee in the offices
    City centre location

Cons

Very process driven
    Slow to adapt to change
    Senior team are not always connected with the people on the floor
    Low career opportunities from mid to senior management - minimal roles between 8a and 8c/d
    No talent management
    Quite a directive environment. CEO tells you and you do it.

Advice to Management

Get a bit closer to the teams son the floor and help retain and develop them so there are opportunities to progress inside the organisation.
    Move with the times!!!

"No progression especially if you an ethnic minority...your chances are very slim"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I worked at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the staff are friendly to work with and some will nic and pic on everything you do.

Cons

Wasted 16 years of my life working even overtime and toil wasn't granted. Asking for training to progress my career it was never given in all the years I was with them, but as soon as the person who's face fits came in. Training was granted and promotion was given within months.

Advice to Management

Encourage diversity especially ethnic minority at management level. It's wrong moral and professional ethics for an employee to continue to stay in junior position for 16 years when they are willing to progress and you don't encourage and offer opportunities when they are willing.

"Poor"

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Office in central location, free tea/coffee

Cons

Lack at enthusiasm amongst staff, bullying culture, high staff turnover, lack of trust in staff, micro management. If your lucky you may get flexible working options such as working from home & flexible start/finish times. Strict policies and procedures that don't reflect NHS guidance.

Advice to Management

Invest & trust your staff. Praise them.

6. "Great job to coast and be paid well. Not so great if you want to achieve."

I worked at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great offices, good work life balance and decent access to training

Cons

Frustrating for people with a desire to deliver tangible benefit. Void of leadership and business acumen below the CEO. Lots of disconnected departments, huge finanical waste delivering questionable levels benefit for healthcare systems when compared to the cost of running it.

Advice to Management

NICE needs an injection of people with business acumen at their management grades 8a thru to 9. Reliance of people with healthcare knowledge or academic background has seen them lose millions in unproductive contracts particularly 'commissing through evaluation' with the 'medical technology evaluation programme' probably worse offender.

7. "People are nice at NICE"

Current Employee - Manager in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is often said that people are nice at NICE and this really is true. Working within an arms length body of the department of health really makes you fell like you are positively contributing to the NHS and wider health and social care sector. The Organisation is committed to employees personal and professional development. Recent improvements have seen a strong increase in employee engagement, with a focus on wellbeing and shared communication. The pay and Benefits package really are very generous for an NHS agenda for change employer. The flexible working culture assists with work-life balance and is open to all.

Cons

As with most public sector organisations systems and process can sometimes feel rather cumbersome.

Advice to Management

Streamline Management structure and empower employees.

"It's all about the people..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

Pros

Since joining NICE I've been fortunate enough to join at a time where the team is full of like minded individuals who are very supportive of new ideas and ways of working.

There is flexibility around working hours which is important as I'm a Dad with two children under six. It means I can flex my hours to share the responsibility with my wife.

Many of our employees work from home on a regular basis as the nature of the work they are producing allows the managers to give that level of flexibility.

Lots of very clever people who are clearly brilliant at what they do. I'm regularly having interesting, challenging and productive conversations with my fellow employees across the institute.

It's NICE to be here...

Cons

I come from the private sector historically so from my perspective there is a shift in the way that you need to work and think about work.
    Much more focus on process and procedure, however there is a lot of support, so if you can develop the right internal working relationships then you can benefit from a lot of knowledge and insight.

Advice to Management

I'm working with some great people, so please continue to give them the support they need and request, so that we can continue to deliver an exceptional service in health and social care.

"Interesting work, flexible employer"

Current Employee - Manager in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Manchester, England

Pros

NICE is really well-regarded and employs incredibly qualified and respected people. The offices in both Manchester and London are really central and well-equipped. Lots of possibilities for homeworking and flexible hours - great for work-life balance.

Cons

Some of our processes are pretty slow, it can take a while to get approval to go ahead with certain projects. But to be fair, once you have the backing of the senior management team, things get moving pretty quickly.

Advice to Management

NICE as an organisation is very analytical , evidence-based and cautious. This is great in many situations, but perhaps not all - a more balanced approach to some decisions would really help to speed up decision-making.

"Superb in every regard"

Current Employee - Consultant in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities and training with real world impact. The environment and culture is flexible. The particular strength are the people

Cons

None as everyone in the institution is so professional. Compared with other organisations in the NHS this also has a sense of optimism and flexibility

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work it is appreciated