National Institute for Health and Care Excellence Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 20 April 2018

Full-timePart-time

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Interesting work, flexible employer"

Current Employee - Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NICE is really well-regarded and employs incredibly qualified and respected people. The offices in both Manchester and London are really central and well-equipped. Lots of possibilities for homeworking and flexible hours - great for work-life balance.

Cons

Some of our processes are pretty slow, it can take a while to get approval to go ahead with certain projects. But to be fair, once you have the backing of the senior management team, things get moving pretty quickly.

Advice to Management

NICE as an organisation is very analytical , evidence-based and cautious. This is great in many situations, but perhaps not all - a more balanced approach to some decisions would really help to speed up decision-making.

"Superb in every regard"

Current Employee - Consultant in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities and training with real world impact. The environment and culture is flexible. The particular strength are the people

Cons

None as everyone in the institution is so professional. Compared with other organisations in the NHS this also has a sense of optimism and flexibility

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work it is appreciated

3. "Inspiring place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at NICE has given me to opportunity to be involved in exciting and innovative projects as well as enjoying a great work-life balance. Excuse the pun, but the people really are nice.

I enjoy every day at work, and no two days are the same. It is inspiring to work with colleagues and leaders who are the best in their field.

The office environment is great and the city centre location is perfect for public transport and socialising with colleagues.

Cons

External pressures can impact on decision making, however, this is not unusual for public bodies and NICE navigates its way through the political landscape better than most.

Advice to Management

Be brave and embrace transformational change

4. "It's all about the people..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since joining NICE I've been fortunate enough to join at a time where the team is full of like minded individuals who are very supportive of new ideas and ways of working.

There is flexibility around working hours which is important as I'm a Dad with two children under six. It means I can flex my hours to share the responsibility with my wife.

Many of our employees work from home on a regular basis as the nature of the work they are producing allows the managers to give that level of flexibility.

Lots of very clever people who are clearly brilliant at what they do. I'm regularly having interesting, challenging and productive conversations with my fellow employees across the institute.

It's NICE to be here...

Cons

I come from the private sector historically so from my perspective there is a shift in the way that you need to work and think about work.
    Much more focus on process and procedure, however there is a lot of support, so if you can develop the right internal working relationships then you can benefit from a lot of knowledge and insight.

Advice to Management

I'm working with some great people, so please continue to give them the support they need and request, so that we can continue to deliver an exceptional service in health and social care.

5. "nice"

Current Employee - Operational Researcher in London, England
    Current Employee - Operational Researcher in London, England

Pros

Good flexible working arrangement. Very friendly environment (at mid and senior levels).

Cons

Environment makes it to hard to innovate, teams are silos.

Advice to Management

Do much more for staff, looking out for them more in terms of promotions, promote social events etc - at institute level staff, don't leave this up to individual managers and social committee to take care of. Staff retention is key where so much knowledge is held in staff at all levels, and high expectations on succeeding staff. Promote communication between teams at directorate level to reduce the silo effect.

"NICE Guidelines"

Current Employee - Technical Advisor in London, England
    Current Employee - Technical Advisor in London, England

Pros

Working as a health economist in the guidelines department is fantastic. Endless series of research projects, good amount of time to build detail models that directly inform NHS policy and better paying, more secure contracts than academia.

Cons

Same resource constraints as everywhere in the NHS. Difficult to progress into senior management but progression from analyst to middle management is pretty frequent.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management would be to stand behind our methods.

"Great Place to work and devlop"

Pros

Learning culture with great emphasis on team work. Working on innovative software for healthcare information.

Cons

There are no cons at NICE

Advice to Management

Keep it up !!

8. "Never again"

I worked at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time

Pros

Salary and free tea and coffee. Great company if you have lots of letters after your name and have your head up you own ****.

Cons

If your face doesn't fit you know it!

Advice to Management

Get a grip on what is happening on the coal face

9. "avoid unless on project manager career path"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

Pros

Good benefits , lovely location

Cons

bad work life balance, stress inducing. Horrible management, poor development

Advice to Management

look into HR practices.

10. "Pretty good but typical public sector organisation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

Pros

Good staff benefits - carer's leave, NHS pension, cycle to work scheme, flexible working options including working from home

Cons

Slow to effect change, constant staff changes and management of change due to Department of Health funding cuts. Very hierarchical staffing structure and some senior managers are a bit power crazy.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more flexible about changes to working methods etc.