National Institute for Health and Care Excellence Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

National Institute for Health and Care Excellence Reviews

Updated Oct 14, 2019

3.7
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence CEO Andrew Dillon (no image)
Andrew Dillon

"We all need flexibility!!!"

Current Employee - Employee Engagement Advisor in Manchester, England

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence part-time for less than a year

Pros

I didn't realise until I was offered the post how positive NICE is with regards to flexible working, 80% of the workforce has some form of flexible working which is invaluable in the busy world we live in today! Great offices and teams with an ideal location for commuters, I couldn't have asked for a better place to work :-)

Cons

Honestly haven't come across any reason to be unhappy to date!

National Institute for Health and Care Excellence2018-10-31
  2. "Great leadership - poor culture"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator

I worked at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time

Pros

CEO very strategic and personable

Cons

Blame culture amongst middle management

National Institute for Health and Care Excellence2019-10-14
  3. "No support"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Able to flexibly work, able to work from home one day a week.

Cons

The downsides would be the fact staff are not properly supported within their job roles, it seems as though mental health for example is not taken serious or into consideration and staff end up being treated unfairly. Managers also back pedal on what they say they are going to do, but then do another.

Advice to Management

Support your staff more.

National Institute for Health and Care Excellence2019-08-06
  4. "Working at NICE"

I worked at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time

Pros

Exciting content and significant policy impact

Cons

Too management led, rigid, no prospect for promotion when senior enough...

Advice to Management

Change management!

National Institute for Health and Care Excellence2019-03-06
  5. "Alright"

Current Employee - Apprentice in London, England

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible Work hours and benefits

Cons

not much room for progression. some senior staff cab be quite rude

National Institute for Health and Care Excellence2018-11-16

"Great mission and people, slow to change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

Pros

Excellent benefits and work life balance Flexible hours and Toil Working from home when needed Generous people policies Great mission to bring consistency to the NHS Free tea and coffee in the offices City centre location

Cons

Very process driven Slow to adapt to change Senior team are not always connected with the people on the floor Low career opportunities from mid to senior management - minimal roles between 8a and 8c/d No talent management Quite a directive environment. CEO tells you and you do it.

Advice to Management

Get a bit closer to the teams son the floor and help retain and develop them so there are opportunities to progress inside the organisation. Move with the times!!!

National Institute for Health and Care Excellence2018-08-14

"Very interesting work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time for less than a year

Pros

They trust you to get on with things They are very supportive of development needs Flexible working environment Interesting area to work in Feel like you are making a real difference Accepting of challenge

Cons

Employees are able to coast and not be performance managed which can be difficult if they are on your team

National Institute for Health and Care Excellence2018-08-15

"Great organisation, Great People, Great Experience"

I worked at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time

Pros

I worked at NICE for nearly 6 years in the CHTE team. I had an overwhelmingly good experience during my time there. I was supported significantly, both on a personal and professional level. I felt the management genuinely cared about it's staff, and worked hard to give people opportunities. The people are some of the most hardworking and intelligent I have ever come across. It was a massive decision for me to... leave In my new role, I now realise how well trained I was. My line managers and superiors always made time to try and upskill me. I was always offered the opportunity to take on new training, despite signficant resource challenges. Similarly, now looking back, I realise just how high quality the outputs are

Cons

The only con to working here is the pressure the organisation is under. They continually do more with less; which leads to more pressure. I found during my time, the work was done, because the vast majority of people went the extra mile. I myself worked far more hours than in my contract. However, I was never pressured to do this. This team in particular, if given time and resource, could do incredible things. I... just hope they are given that opportunity.

Advice to Management

Give your talented staff opportunities, and remember to thank them. They go above and beyond, almost every day. A thank you goes a long way.

National Institute for Health and Care Excellence2018-07-19

"No progression especially if you an ethnic minority...your chances are very slim"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Pros

Some of the staff are friendly to work with and some will nic and pic on everything you do.

Cons

Wasted 16 years of my life working even overtime and toil wasn't granted. Asking for training to progress my career it was never given in all the years I was with them, but as soon as the person who's face fits came in. Training was granted and promotion was given within months.

Advice to Management

Encourage diversity especially ethnic minority at management level. It's wrong moral and professional ethics for an employee to continue to stay in junior position for 16 years when they are willing to progress and you don't encourage and offer opportunities when they are willing.

National Institute for Health and Care Excellence2018-08-01

"Poor"

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Office in central location, free tea/coffee

Cons

Lack at enthusiasm amongst staff, bullying culture, high staff turnover, lack of trust in staff, micro management. If your lucky you may get flexible working options such as working from home & flexible start/finish times. Strict policies and procedures that don't reflect NHS guidance.

Advice to Management

Invest & trust your staff. Praise them.

National Institute for Health and Care Excellence2018-07-23