National Institute for Health and Care Excellence Employee Reviews about "flexible working"

Updated 20 Aug 2020

3.9
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence Chief Executive Andrew Dillon (no image)
Andrew Dillon
Pros
  • "I didn't realise until I was offered the post how positive NICE is with regards to flexible working, 80% of the workforce has some form of(in 10 reviews)

• "Able to flexibly work, able to work from home one day a week(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low career opportunities from mid to senior management - minimal roles between 8a and 8c/d(in 3 reviews)

• "Compared with other organisations in the NHS this also has a sense of optimism and flexibility(in 3 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "flexible working"

Return to all Reviews

"We all need flexibility!!!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Employee Engagement Advisor in Manchester, England

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence part-time for less than a year

Pros

I didn't realise until I was offered the post how positive NICE is with regards to flexible working, 80% of the workforce has some form of flexible working which is invaluable in the busy world we live in today! Great offices and teams with an ideal location for commuters, I couldn't have asked for a better place to work :-)

Cons

Honestly haven't come across any reason to be unhappy to date!

2. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Manchester, England

Pros

flexible working and interesting and rewarding work

Cons

Lots of paper work and processes

3. "A family friendly, flexible and innovative organisation"

Current Employee - Programmer Manager in Manchester, England

Pros

Competitive salary Flexible working Family friendly Good working conditions Progression opportunities Training opportunities

Cons

Can be heirarchical and slow to make decisions

"Very interesting work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time for less than a year

Pros

They trust you to get on with things They are very supportive of development needs Flexible working environment Interesting area to work in Feel like you are making a real difference Accepting of challenge

Cons

Employees are able to coast and not be performance managed which can be difficult if they are on your team

5. "People are nice at NICE"

Current Employee - Manager in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It is often said that people are nice at NICE and this really is true. Working within an arms length body of the department of health really makes you fell like you are positively contributing to the NHS and wider health and social care sector. The Organisation is committed to employees personal and professional development. Recent improvements have seen a strong increase in employee engagement, with a focus on wellbeing and shared communication. The pay and Benefits package really are very generous for an NHS agenda for change employer. The flexible working culture assists with work-life balance and is open to all.

Cons

As with most public sector organisations systems and process can sometimes feel rather cumbersome.

6. "nice"

Current Employee - Operational Researcher in London, England

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good flexible working arrangement. Very friendly environment (at mid and senior levels).

Cons

Environment makes it to hard to innovate, teams are silos.

Continue reading
  7. "Challenging but rewarding workplace"

5.0
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in London, England

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working, working across different disease areas, engagement with multidisciplinary stakeholders and collaborators, clear progression opportunities.

Cons

Day-to-day work can be repetitive.

Continue reading
  8. "Pretty good but typical public sector organisation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Good staff benefits - carer's leave, NHS pension, cycle to work scheme, flexible working options including working from home

Cons

Slow to effect change, constant staff changes and management of change due to Department of Health funding cuts. Very hierarchical staffing structure and some senior managers are a bit power crazy.

Continue reading
  9. "it you face doesnt fit dont bother"

1.0
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Manchester, England

Pros

Flexible working, nice office, office in good location and easy to get to by public transport.

Cons

Slow. Too many directors and AD's who get preferential treatment regarding flexible working i.e. directors work fraction of their hours from home from the opposite side of the country attempting to manage their teams in an office - doesn't work. Demoralised staff. No responsibility for directors and AD - they are not in the real world. If your face doesn't fit you will not get any type of promotion. Not a friendly atmosphere.

10. "Medical Editor"

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence

Pros

Flexible working, work from home

Cons

Not enough work and often waiting on other people's schedules

Viewing 1 - 9 of 10 English Reviews