National Institute for Health and Care Excellence Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated 6 Aug 2019

3.9
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence Chief Executive Andrew Dillon (no image)
Andrew Dillon
Pros
  • "I didn't realise until I was offered the post how positive NICE is with regards to flexible working, 80% of the workforce has some form of(in 10 reviews)

• "Able to flexibly work, able to work from home one day a week(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low career opportunities from mid to senior management - minimal roles between 8a and 8c/d(in 3 reviews)

• "Compared with other organisations in the NHS this also has a sense of optimism and flexibility(in 3 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews

"It's all about the people..."

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time for less than a year

Pros

Since joining NICE I've been fortunate enough to join at a time where the team is full of like minded individuals who are very supportive of new ideas and ways of working. There is flexibility around working hours which is important as I'm a Dad with two children under six. It means I can flex my hours to share the responsibility with my wife. Many of our employees work from home on a regular basis as the nature of the work they are producing allows the managers to give that level of flexibility. Lots of very clever people who are clearly brilliant at what they do. I'm regularly having interesting, challenging and productive conversations with my fellow employees across the institute. It's NICE to be here...

Cons

I come from the private sector historically so from my perspective there is a shift in the way that you need to work and think about work. Much more focus on process and procedure, however there is a lot of support, so if you can develop the right internal working relationships then you can benefit from a lot of knowledge and insight.

2. "No support"

1.0
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Able to flexibly work, able to work from home one day a week.

Cons

The downsides would be the fact staff are not properly supported within their job roles, it seems as though mental health for example is not taken serious or into consideration and staff end up being treated unfairly. Managers also back pedal on what they say they are going to do, but then do another.

Continue reading

"Great mission and people, slow to change"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits and work life balance Flexible hours and Toil Working from home when needed Generous people policies Great mission to bring consistency to the NHS Free tea and coffee in the offices City centre location

Cons

Very process driven Slow to adapt to change Senior team are not always connected with the people on the floor Low career opportunities from mid to senior management - minimal roles between 8a and 8c/d No talent management Quite a directive environment. CEO tells you and you do it.

Continue reading
  4. "Pretty good but typical public sector organisation"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good staff benefits - carer's leave, NHS pension, cycle to work scheme, flexible working options including working from home

Cons

Slow to effect change, constant staff changes and management of change due to Department of Health funding cuts. Very hierarchical staffing structure and some senior managers are a bit power crazy.

5. "Medical Editor"

4.0

I have been working at National Institute for Health and Care Excellence

Pros

Flexible working, work from home

Cons

Not enough work and often waiting on other people's schedules

Viewing 1 - 4 of 5 English Reviews