National Institute of Standards and Technology Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

National Institute of Standards and Technology Reviews

Updated 16 Nov 2019

4.2
National Institute of Standards and Technology Acting Director Dr. Willie E. May
Dr. Willie E. May
Pros
Cons
  • "Quiet, lots of red-tape for small things such as appointments(in 12 reviews)

• "zero inconvenient by working at nist as guest researcher(in 7 reviews)

1. "Great research environment, beautiful campus"

Current Employee - Research Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at National Institute of Standards and Technology full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

NIST is a well-funded agency that attracts bright and dedicated researchers. The environment is very collaborative, and there are many opportunities to grow technically and non-technically (e.g. in-house training for leadership, project management). People tend to make long careers at NIST because it is a great place to work. The hours are very reasonable, one can readily achieve work-life balance. The campus is beautiful.

Cons

NIST can be a slow moving bureaucracy. You will spend more time that seems necessary to fulfill managerial and procedural requirements. Promotions can be slow.

National Institute of Standards and Technology2019-11-15
  2. "a great place to work"

Former Employee - Physicist in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at National Institute of Standards and Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

At NIST I was very happy to have smart co-workers, a great boss, and a supportive atmosphere. It was like being a faculty member at a university except with no teaching load and no pressure to apply for grants. I felt that I had essentially complete academic freedom to choose research topics. From the point of view of being able to concentrate on my research it was kind of a paradise.

Cons

If you work at NIST you will be a direct federal employee. This subjects you to the federal salary cap, which hasn't kept up with the cost of living in greater DC, nor with the salaries of comparable jobs in industry and academia.

National Institute of Standards and Technology2019-10-24
  3. "I wish they had enough money for me to stay"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Gaithersburg, MD
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at National Institute of Standards and Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great healthcare Lots of smart people who are passionate about their rewear h

Cons

Lots of government red tape and paper work Not enough funding to go around

National Institute of Standards and Technology2019-10-30
  4. "Run...cog in a wheel"

Former Employee - Project Officer in Boulder, CO

Pros

I found nothing at NIST to be a pro...unless you are a scientist. That might be the only job where you might not deal with systems from 20 years ago. Do an internship and realize your life means more.

Cons

Watch our government money being wasted on staff just hanging out. So much paperwork for not much progress. And very little to no reward. HR in Gaithersburg, MD was not helpful with any aspect of hiring or the process. Office staff just pushed papers to get staff to travel for conferences that were unnecessary and could have been a conference call. Supposed to have work flexible hours but unless your boss approved you either brave a winter storm or take time off. The world is moving in a different direction and grads for 2020 will not take a job that has so many restrictions and you will lose the best and brightest because NIST is behind the times.

Advice to Management

Wasted Money on so many process that are obsolete. If you allow one person to work at home during a storm then you should allow all to have the same understand. No growth for those who are not scientists. I had dreams of improvements to onboarding but so much red tape that just brings the employees down to a cog in a wheel...

National Institute of Standards and Technology2019-11-16
  5. "Rewarding and interesting research position"

Current Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant in Boulder, CO

I have been working at National Institute of Standards and Technology part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, great bosses, positive atmosphere, interesting work

Cons

Lengthy on-boarding process, obscure HR processes

National Institute of Standards and Technology2019-10-10
  6. "Computer Science/Engineering based job"

Current Employee - Computer Scientist

I have been working at National Institute of Standards and Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work on some of the cutting edge technologies. Good work life balance. Good benefits.

Cons

Being a government research lab, salary is lower than private research labs.

National Institute of Standards and Technology2019-10-21
  7. "Great culture, but low salary"

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Gaithersburg, MD
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at National Institute of Standards and Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of vacation time. Supportive atmosphere.

Cons

Low pay for industry. Tech stack is not modern.

National Institute of Standards and Technology2019-08-28
  8. "Good Employer and great benefits"

Former Employee - Physical Scientist in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

I really enjoyed working for NIST I thought it wwas a great learning oppertunity.

Cons

NIST generally only Hires 2-4 year Term positions

National Institute of Standards and Technology2019-08-07
  9. "Great people. Awesome work"

Former Employee - EE IV

I worked at National Institute of Standards and Technology full-time

Pros

Best of the best colleagues

Cons

Low salary compared to industry

National Institute of Standards and Technology2019-08-08

"Play it safe, stay for life"

Former Employee - Utility Operator in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at National Institute of Standards and Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

You have to either just stop showing up or commit a crime to get fired. Like, you seriously have to try,

Cons

You better hope someone suddenly has to move because that's the only way you are ever moving up.

Advice to Management

Retire. Please.

National Institute of Standards and Technology2019-07-11