National Multiple Sclerosis Society Reviews

Updated 10 Jun 2021

3.5
National Multiple Sclerosis Society President and CEO Cyndi Zagieboylo (no image)
Cyndi Zagieboylo
Pros
  • "great mission focused work and thoughtful employer(in 12 reviews)

• "Great people; great mission; Office was close to Grand Central Terminal(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "For pure non-profit people the Development team may feel very corporate sales-oriented(in 16 reviews)

• "When I was in the office, there was a high turnover of former employees as the organization restructured itself(in 14 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Worst Non Profit

10 Jun 2021 - Income Development Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

There were no pros working for NMSS

Cons

They are a complete disappointment. Frankly they should be ashamed of the lack of advancements they contribute to the MS community. Heavy upper Management spend the majority of the time on conference calls micro managing staff, which does not allow for productive time. If you HR or manager tells you they will do anything, please do not count on it ever happening. Sadly, HR representative was so very dishonest in regards to a salary increase promised by my manager that I knew there were simply NO honest people at the organization. Having been in the Non Profit sector for over 20 years it was extremely disappointing to watch the lack of importance to the work at hand. Sponsors were promised certain logo space, event publicity etc and most of it never was executed.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place to Work, Little Room for Growth

2 Dec 2020 - Fundraising Manager in Little Rock, AR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working for the NMSS was amazing and is one of my most treasured memories. I learned so much from my time there about fundraising, event logistics, strategic planning, distinguished events, and more. The work is hard but very rewarding! Lots of opportunities for travel (pre-covid) to help with other events in your region, healthcare was meh, generous PTO, and work from home policies. You will learn A LOT about portfolio management, fundraising strategy, and overall nonprofit operating procedures. Additionally, the team couldn't be beaten! I am still close to several of my colleagues even though we have all moved on to other organizations.

Cons

Often the workload was unmanageable with 50-60 hours work weeks and 3 am wake-up calls. The flex time provided for event staff is not enough, for every 8 hours you worked at an event you received 4 hours of flex time. On weekends where you worked 16 hours days, recovery time is needed. No room for upward mobility unless you live in a large metropolitan area with A LOT of fundraising dollars. Sr. Directors, EDs, and President are more for show and less for actually helping at events and with issues. We spent A LOT of time in meetings which led to working after hours to get your actual job done.

4 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Quality Company to work for

19 May 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Inclusive environment, constantly looking to improve, values employees

Cons

At times over transparent, OK maternity leave plan.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great organization to work at

11 May 2021 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment, opportunities for growth

Cons

Work/life balance can be difficult at times

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

You’ll love your local team, but upper management and executives will drive you away.

6 Jan 2021 - Event Production Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

My local team was the best, collaboration was key to getting a job done, and nothing ever felt micro-managed. PTO was large and a good work/life balance was encouraged. Again I can’t say enough how much I loved my local team.

Cons

The pay scale is low compared to others, they’ll tell its not, but it is. Specialist are salaried, and that hurts when you know you are working a ton of OT during event season, but you don’t get compensated for it. Upper management (mostly executives in New York and Denver) will have you wishing you didn’t work here. They are not forth coming with society news, but they’ll tell how transparent they are though. A lot of big decisions are made without any real local input, which I think strains the local teams, and the people who fundraise for the society. What it boils down to is you might love your local team but upper management will drive you away.

7 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Mission. Huge Effort.

18 Apr 2021 - Development Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great mission. Dedicated people. Support for breakthrough medical research, advocacy and services that truly improve the lives of people impacted by MS.

Cons

A huge organization that is nationwide and very bureaucratic.

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Low Salaries

19 May 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance. You only work 35 hours per week.

Cons

Bad management and Low salaries.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great mission!

1 Apr 2021 - MS Navigator in Philadelphia, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive managers, working for a good cause, feel successful in the work I do

Cons

Caseload is too high, work can feel repetitive, very limited opportunities to move up

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Excellent Organization!

10 Feb 2021 - Manager in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very positive, inclusive, collaborative, supportive culture! This is PsyD lives it’s cultural values. Employees are supported to develop professionally and provided access to great resources to do so. The mission is incredibly compelling.

Cons

No cons. Even when I was laid off due to economic impacts of COVID pandemic, I was provided good support in the way out.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Disheartened leadership

30 Sep 2020 - Vice President
      Business Outlook

Pros

MS Navigator is a critical service for people affected by MS and the team delivering this work is phenomenal.

Cons

Top senior leaders lack transparency, integrity and respect. The organization is extremely top heavy, lacks compassion for staff, and poorly make and communicate decisions. After serving for many years in the organization it is disheartening to see where the organization is today. I recognize that the past few months have been more than difficult for the Society and many other non-profits but if there is one thing I've learned through this pandemic and other high-stress times is leaders need to instill calm, confidence and grace so that fears are calmed and the ladder of inference isn't climbed. Catty, condescending and flip remarks - either with words or chatter and giggles (like on all staff call) - are not helpful to anyone and when displayed by top leaders. That behavior only feeds a greater lack of confidence and distrust for Society leaders. This is the time to employ empathy, grace and LISTENING. Having witnessed blatant disrespect by top senior leaders of another staff leader, and also experiencing lack of transparency in decision-making, this further supported the lack of trust and integrity I was seeing in the future for the Society. Thus, I came to the realization that I could no longer align nor condone such behavior so it was time for me to move on. I share this feedback as perspective and food for thought as the new area leads and CEO begin to restructure the organization. Words matter and respect is earned. As leaders, talk less and listen more and lead with compassion and grace.

10 people found this review helpful