Nationwide Building Society Customer Service Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Nationwide Building Society Customer Service Consultant Reviews

Updated 15 Nov 2019

4.8
Nationwide Building Society  Chief Executive Joe Garner
Joe Garner
1 Rating
  1. "Excellent Support and Training"

Former Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Moulton, Northamptonshire, East Midlands, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great support from team/floor support and team managers Training was very effective in my experience You really feel as though you're there to help people!

Cons

Constant phone calls that ask a lot of you & multi-tasking 4-weekly rotating shift patterns are a little too much

Nationwide Building Society2019-11-15
  2. "Good Place to work."

Customer Service Consultant in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

Friendly co-workers, quickly learn new skills, progress within the company quickly.

Cons

training wasn't overly organised well.

Nationwide Building Society2016-04-21

"Its all a facade. Don't be fooled!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Northampton, England

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

Proud behaviours are rewarded, going the extra mile is recognised with little certificates. Senior managers listen however to get to them takes a long time. Amazing trainers who really set you up well.

Cons

They are changing the working hours to become more antisocial and expect everyone to go along with this without asking us. The pay is very low for the responsibility and PRESSURE involved. The training is absolutely amazing however when you are put on the phones the "no targets" is a lie. You are targeted to the point where daily reports are red and green and you are put on performance plans if you are for example 1% out in a month on an average handling time. I work on the mortgage lines and it is imperative every detail is correct- mortgages are so important! However we are pressured day in day out even if there is a big problem we need help with we are penalised if we take longer or have to have help. Even though i talk to people every day i have never felt so lonely in a job but so under the spotlight and pressured at the same time. Staff turnover is high.

Advice to Management

Please listen to the colleagues when they need help. Alot of people i know have either been signed off for stress or have been put on medication just to deal with this job day to day. They get through so many staff so quickly and progression opportunity is not as easy as it seems. There are alot of hoops to jump through so alot of opportunities that are pushed to junior staff are nowhere within reach. Its disappointing because on paper nationwide is awesome. But in the job and the managers at a team level just dont know what theyre doing. We have becone exactly what we are trained not to treat customers as- NUMBERS NOT PEOPLE.

Nationwide Building Society2016-02-10

"Definitely avoid"

Former Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get a free uniform..... er, that's it.

Cons

Absolutely terrible company to work for. Management heavy, with constant changes obstructing production. Massive influx of staff from a certain well known failed bank add to the incompetent running of the business. A mutual company that wastes millions every year of their members money on pointless conferences, with black tie dinners and free wine on tap whilst members earn as low as 0.001 % on their deposits. Dismal branches that do not inspire, old fashioned technology and directors receiving massive salaries in line with bank bosses does not seem like a caring sharing company to me. You have to be a certain type of person to work at Nationwide, I'll leave you to work that out for yourself. Old Donald Trump would fit in perfectly. Do yourself a favour and don't attend the interview. The worst place I've ever worked at.

Advice to Management

No point really. as none of them listen, pretty futile really.

Nationwide Building Society2016-01-09
  5. "Customer consultant"

Current Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Dunfermline, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

An hour for lunch. Not bad salary. Lots of training. I think that is about all that was good to be honest

Cons

No structure to shift pattern. They expect you to be fully flexible and can change your shifts at two weeks notice but are not helpful when you have something planned. Have to take 7 days holiday when planning a week off in advance because you don't know what shifts you are working. I have also booked a weekend off and been told I wasn't working for them to put me in and no one cared. All they seem to care about is bums on seats taking call after call and will be hanging over you if your not available to take a call asking why. Even after 60 seconds. You get sent emails asking if you want to finish early and work back at the weekend for you to respond and then they decide at the last minute you cannot go because there's more than 10 calls in the queue. You can guess I won't be staying with this company for long.

Advice to Management

If you expect us to be fully flexible when it suits you then at least have the decency to come and go with people when they need it. Bring in a rotation shift pattern so staff can plan further than 2 weeks in advance.

Nationwide Building Society2015-09-03

"If you are after progression avoid like the plague"

Customer Service Consultant in Dunfermline, Scotland

I worked at Nationwide Building Society for less than a year

Pros

One hour for lunch, dress down Fridays, do not need to wear a tie, quarterly bonus - thats about it really as the pros are minimal in my opinion.

Cons

Overly obsessed on stats, you feel like you are plugged into a wall, if you gain too much experience in the call centre you get blocked from progressing elsewhere in the company as they cannot afford to lose you off of the battery hen line that more often than not queues 40-100+ calls for most of the day. The company faster payments in/out system is more down than up and leads to very nasty customers on a frequent basis. An awful call scoring feedback system from customers where even if you have the best call ever it can lead to you getting a loss of bonus if said customer on a scoring feedback only gives you a 4 out of 5. A very high amount of backstabbing and a severe blame game mentality with a nasty system called "Consultant Feedback" forms where other employees can report on your faults to your manager which again can affect bonus. Some of the feedbacks are over the top and childish. The higher management are very untrustworthy and are not supportive at all of anyone attempting progression when they have been long term members of staff looking to escalate. Also managers can live call dip your calls without your knowledge and then serve to give you (more often that not) highly non-constructive feedback in a very unpleasant and overly critical way. I will not miss working for this company - it was a backwards step in my career and I would advise anyone to avoid working for them in their call centre like the plague.

Advice to Management

Make service tracker a more fairer scoring system and do away with the snitching consultant feedback forms - they are just purely nasty and serve no other purpose other than to knock already worn down consultants even further. Also treat your staff better like human beings and not staff numbers. The senior Swindon management might also want to wonder why so many longer term staff are leaving the Dunfermline call centre of late.

Nationwide Building Society2015-09-20
  7. "Overall good experience"

Current Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

customer service training, values, development support

Cons

development support dependent on manager, money saving focus, it's difficult to change from temp to perm role

Advice to Management

N/A

Nationwide Building Society2015-07-08
  8. "Incredible, customer orientated company with a true family spirit."

Current Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best things about working for them is the people you meet and the job you get to do. You make a real difference to peoples finances, and you go away feeling proud of that. The benefits are fantastic and you have alot of opportunities open up to you as you work there. By far the best company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Sometimes the job is difficult. You encounter situations where you just cant do enough for the people you are trying to help, and that is hard to deal with at times. Sometimes it feels like process gets in the way of success.

Advice to Management

Know the job your guys on the lowest levels are doing. Sometimes, we get changes put in place by people that don't do the job the changes affect, and it can often have disastrous impacts, leaving us to clear up the mess and communicate back what needs to be done to fix it. This could be so much easier if changes were run past people who were actually on the phones doing the job. A lot of changes make our job so much more difficult, but people higher up believe it is 'Making things simpler'.

Nationwide Building Society2014-06-15
  9. "Shambles"

Former Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to work for when you look at it from a "benefits for working at NBS" . pension policy is great, you can purchase extra holiday, medical help, union (legal help included), e.t.c

Cons

you have to literally brown nose to get anywhere in NBS. You are treated as a number and will never be recognised for any hard work you put in. sure... they do give you random certificates (that are printed on standard a4 printer paper, signed by the head of department & then laminated to make it look fancy when its not), but they dont mean anything, you dont get any self satisfaction or even new responsibilities or ventures within you job roll once you have been given that certificate. To add insult to injury this "AMAZING" certificate is then handed to you by your line manager while your working & that's it. Another really bad thing is that there is a massive gap between management and lower level employees... its almost like a snobbish/look down on people culture that most management adopt!

Advice to Management

recognise people for the hard work they do and promote people on the fact that they work hard & not because they brown nose you!

Nationwide Building Society2014-05-07