Nationwide Building Society Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Joe Garner
  1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Collections Team Manager

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time

Pros

Great company culture, focussed on customer service, great development opportunities

Cons

The salary/ bonus could be more competitive

Nationwide Building Society2019-04-10

Nationwide Building Society Response

April 24, 2019Employer Brand Manager

Thanks so much for the 5* review! Our culture is built upon providing legendary service for our thriving membership of over 15 million members. From the way we communicate to how we innovate our products, we put people first and keep their best interests at heart. These values ...

2. "Great place to work, improving efficiency would make it amazing"

Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great member focus. Our member focus is what makes the society such a great place to work. The Chief exec Joe, is open and honest and communication is very transparent. Shares his thoughts in regard to the economic pressure to wellbeing and looking after ourselves. Also encourages speaking up, you can really see even at that level the board what to know what is happening in teams on a day to day basis.

Cons

There is still a fear amongst staff about making a mistake and using initiative, this can lead to barriers dealing with members. local directors seem to have little involvement in teams or members, not hands on.

Advice to Management

Keep the member focus, please continue to allow employees to speak up, review the layers of management.

Nationwide Building Society2019-05-19
    • "Product"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England
      No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits. Good work life balance in some areas. Other areas its woeful.

Cons

Poor management. Very hierarchical and beauracratic.

Nationwide Building Society2019-04-09
    • "Great place"

Current Employee - Resourcing Manager in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly helpful people. Lots of change happening. Very socially aware. Dynamic working arrangements. Great facilities on site.

Cons

The place gets very busy so need to get in early to park!

Nationwide Building Society2019-03-18
    • "Looking to leave"

Current Employee - Personal Banking Manager

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company benefits, nice colleagues

Cons

Promotion depends on who you know, annual rating depends on how close you are to your manager. Colleagues are generally nice. Bad behaviours are not dealt with.

Nationwide Building Society2019-03-30
    • "Good company for a steady balanced life"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work life balance The people at the heart of the business are fantastic

Cons

Middle management out of touch with the workers. Stuff gets done because of the team in spite of the managers, not because of. Ambition is huge, but still too slow at actually making the changes to enable this. The talent get frustrated quickly and become restless. Swindon.

Nationwide Building Society2019-03-13
    • "Nice People - but not currently a company for the ambitious - pace of change is glacial."

Current Employee - Applications Support Manager in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

Pros

Nice Friendly, helpful people Flexible Working Good benefits Inspirational leadership at board level

Cons

Layers and Layers of management who show no leadership whatsoever Values length of service above quality of work Performance Management is very broken - Poor Objectives and no real management of poor performance Role definition is poor Very few career development and growth opportunities

Advice to Management

Keep the friendly people focussed culture, but toughen up lot. Cut out the dead wood, making space for those who are ambitious prove their worth and grow.

Nationwide Building Society2019-03-15
    • "Rewards go deeper than £££"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bournemouth, England

Pros

Ethics run deep, genuinely doing the right thing for its members (customers) which leaves your conscience clear. It generally means you are working with nice people. Wider package is good especially the pension. Competency based interview means nepotism/favouritism shouldn't be a factor.

Cons

It can be a slow moving organisation but that is beginning to change. Competency based interview ties their hands - those who manage to communicate the competencies better get the job ahead of others who don't handle the interview so well. Occasionally the wrong person gets the job. Don't believe the salary range for advertised jobs, the upper half of the range is unachievable to start with or in the early years in...

Advice to Management

Continue the drive to quicker decision making.

Nationwide Building Society2019-01-17

"For a good time not a long time"

Former Employee - Personal Banking Manager in Birmingham, England
      No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good management A culture of care throughout the retail banking network Fun place to work Great work life balance They do try to make changes (for the better most of the time)

Cons

No room to progress Wrong people in the wrong place Training is non-existent, you're just expected to know what to do High expectations for very little reward Changes are poorly implemented and inconsistent

Advice to Management

Your all stick and no carrot, it's fine to have goals and ambitions of where you want the team to be but you got to properly plan that as a team. Listen to your people, they know there role

Nationwide Building Society2018-08-03

Nationwide Building Society Response

August 8, 2018Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. As a mutual organisation, our culture is indeed important to us, it represents where we came from and who we are today. Your other comments have also been noted, thank you. Wishing you the very best of luck in your next role, ...

• "Branch manager"

Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time

Pros

New CEO, fresh ideas, not afraid of change. So it’s refreshing. Customers are referred to as members which is a nice touch. Overall the planned strategy seems to be going in a great direction. Teams are encouraged to speak up and they want to hear ideas from front facing staff. Excited to see what the future holds.

Cons

Restructuring will hopefully help enpower lower level management. Senior managers are now so clearly not required. Sufficient MI is being produced so that it’s never necessary to contact them. They appear to look busy and simply do not add value. We need member focused and facing staff. Cr’s and pbms are asking questions what do they do!!

Advice to Management

Restructure ASAP.

Nationwide Building Society2018-06-26