Nationwide Building Society Personal Banking Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Dec 11, 2019

2.5
Nationwide Building Society  Chief Executive Joe Garner
Joe Garner
  1. "Nice company, look after their staff"

Current Employee - Personal Banking Manager in Cambridge, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great support for progression, have re-located me multiple times to fit with my personal circumstances, Nationwide looks after their staff very well. Most staff are very friendly.

Cons

not the highest paying company

Nationwide Building Society2017-10-29
  2. "Ok"

Former Employee - Personal Banking Manager in Waterlooville, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very generous pension contributions but at a cost of annual bonus

Cons

Poor L&D, minimal progression unless you know someone Targets inconsistent across branches

Nationwide Building Society2019-12-11
  3. "Not bad"

Current Employee - Personal Banking Manager

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Building society Care about our members

Cons

Career progression is limited Long hours as I’m in Westfield

Nationwide Building Society2019-11-25
  4. "Good Organisation"

Former Employee - Personal Banking Manager in London, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Job Stability, Career progression opportunities

Cons

Middle management playing politics with staff members.

Advice to Management

Get rid of branch managers that don't have the interest of the staff to heart.

Nationwide Building Society2019-10-30

"So bad I moved my accounts away from them! (Retail Network, 2 years, Customer Rep then Personal Banking Manager)"

Former Employee - Personal Banking Manager in Cheltenham, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Annual bonus of about 7% of your salary, Generous sick pay allowance, Good pension, The internal training provided for roles is of a high quality.

Cons

Salaries are so low the bonus and pension are meaningless, with no opportunity to increase it outside of the annual inflation bump, The worst bullying culture I've seen in a workplace, and unfortunately this is rewarded, Complete lack of ownership across the business, No direction from the business, for instance they've removed targets for sales roles but still act like they are there during 1-2-1's, There is a... consistent level of incompetence in all areas across the business, and a huge separation between the retail network and head office.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the majority of your staff (including upper management) to remove both the cosmic levels of incompetence and the rotten culture that sits at the businesses core, and perhaps incentivise the few brilliant people I met to stay? Nationwide does one thing very well, and that is it's marketing (both internal and external), however in reality it is all farcical. It is nothing more than a high street bank, and... as much as it would like to portray otherwise this will always be the case. In all honesty nothing can be done to turn this business around, and the sooner modern financial businesses such as Monzo and Starling Bank put them (and the other major banks) out of business the better. To summarise, don't work here, it really isn't worth the hassle.

Nationwide Building Society2019-11-02
  6. "Poor management"

Current Employee - Personal Banking Manager in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

If your face fits you’ll do well.

Cons

Sexist culture. Poor management. Poor pay. They say they support work life balance but don’t evidence this.

Advice to Management

When people leave and tell you something is wrong actually act on it

Nationwide Building Society2019-09-12

"Poor Management and employee neglect"

Current Employee - Personal Banking Manager in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

nothing the area that i worked in was full of people resistant to change and some of them have been in the same role for over 30 years and not interested in new ways of doing things.

Cons

They claim they look after their members and their money load of rubbish, the senior managers only look after their pockets.Tell me a company that is quick to offer compensation when its clear that the customer in question is wrong. The staff are highly underpaid and there is a massive gap between what the managers that do nothing earn and the staff that slave for them. one of the most boring and lifeless... environment i have ever worked in.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting members money on that boring and pointless tv adverts of yours and invest in your employees. Joe Garner you need to be more visible in the front line and not position yourself like a celebrity on nationwide big events. Dont get me wrong Joe is a good CEO but the people that work for him are full of it ie brown stuff.

Nationwide Building Society2019-08-26
  8. "Okay"

Current Employee - Personal Banking Manager in Dunfermline, Scotland

Pros

Pay is alright and nationwide have good products

Cons

They say they aren’t target driven but they are, so many horrible customers

Nationwide Building Society2019-07-02
  9. "Looking to leave"

Current Employee - Personal Banking Manager

Pros

Good company benefits, nice colleagues

Cons

Promotion depends on who you know, annual rating depends on how close you are to your manager. Colleagues are generally nice. Bad behaviours are not dealt with.

Nationwide Building Society2019-03-30

"For a good time not a long time"

Former Employee - Personal Banking Manager in Birmingham, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good management A culture of care throughout the retail banking network Fun place to work Great work life balance They do try to make changes (for the better most of the time)

Cons

No room to progress Wrong people in the wrong place Training is non-existent, you're just expected to know what to do High expectations for very little reward Changes are poorly implemented and inconsistent

Advice to Management

Your all stick and no carrot, it's fine to have goals and ambitions of where you want the team to be but you got to properly plan that as a team. Listen to your people, they know there role

Nationwide Building Society2018-08-03