Nationwide Building Society "senior management" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Nationwide Building Society Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated 13 Jun 2019

Found 520 reviews

3.8
Nationwide Building Society CEO Joe Garner
Joe Garner
Pros
Cons
  • "Senior management are in some cases Jurassic in their style(in 22 reviews)

• "Head office in Swindon, very few opportunities for progression if you didn't want to move(in 18 reviews)

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "CSR"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

You learn good valuable customer facing skills, like asking the leading open questions, learning to go above and beyond and being positive generally.

Cons

Very poor for progression. I was surpassing norms (outcomes) on a regular basis bit never received the recognition. Passed an interview to be a personal banker but my role change was 'delayed for unknown reasons. Senior management were rude no matter the branch, egotistic and back chatters. There's better banks to work for in terms of pay and progression.

Advice to Management

Don't hold your top performers back and be too strict with monthly reviews.

Nationwide Building Society2018-11-06

Nationwide Building Society Response

November 20, 2018Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review, it really helps us as to understanding the parts of the business which are well received but equally, to learn of areas in which we can improve. Progressing talent continues to be a key priority and we're committed to the development of our employees, ...

"Complacency"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent resources Sincere consideration of customers/members in every decision they take Some opportunities for ground-breaking innovation

Cons

Executive and Board are sometimes self-serving and out-of-touch. Accountability often doesn’t stretch to the top. Fail to set high or stretching standards for themselves. This building society could be so much more. Limited career opportunity, especially if you don’t drink same kool-ade as senior managers.

Advice to Management

Take an honest look at the efficiency of your business processes. Set your sights on business excellence, and hold yourself to account. Fulfill Nationwide’s potential, rather than looking so much to the past.

Nationwide Building Society2018-08-15

Nationwide Building Society Response

August 31, 2018Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for taking the time to feedback and pleased to hear of some of the positive aspects you experienced in your 5 years with the Society. Our heritage is important to us, as is our mutual values and we work hard to marry these with running a successful business. Good luck for the ...

"Could do so much better, positive discrimination is rife! Good looking people in the clique will be well off here!"

Current Employee - Transformation Consultant in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good salary, everyday is different, mostly good people to work with with good knowledge. Great benefits. Good facilities and Flexible working.

Cons

Senior management are in some cases Jurassic in their style. Lots of favouritism over ability, progression is based on looks and gender, you'll guess which when you get there!

Advice to Management

Stop trying to pretend that internal positions and promotion is run on a fair basis, the company is split straight down the middle, people doing the right thing or people just using buzzwords and phrases with no intent on actually understanding what they mean.

Nationwide Building Society2018-01-15

"Great organisation with a welcome change"

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time

Pros

Fantastic ethos and values that make you want to work here. The work can varied and interesting depending on your position. Face to face meetings are the way to work here, hiding behind emails is not. Even though it may appear to be so from the inside, the organisation is not as hierarchical as other large organisations.

Cons

Pay can be below market standards, even in London. The majority of middle/senior management were made up of mainly white middle aged men, but this is now look set to change with a change in CEO. Locations in Swindon and Northampton not the easiest to get to.

Advice to Management

Continue the drive for diversity in senior management.

Nationwide Building Society2017-09-11

"Good company"

Current Employee - Lead Risk Analyst in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

Pros

Management are very mature and good, the framework surrounding analyst management is beneficial to those being managed. New CEO is pushing innovative ideas that are good.

Cons

Senior management tend to try to do too much to the detriment of the work. The vast majority projects run over, costing money and producing worse final outputs. Rework or sacking of unfinished expensive projects is common.

Advice to Management

Work on your project planning. Plan what is doable and look for a good outcome rather than trying to appear overly capable to impress your peers and management.

Nationwide Building Society2017-06-27

"I tried, I really did"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lovely people, nice premises OK salary Genuinely care about members, just not great at protecting their money..

Cons

Parking is a pain unless you're an early bird. Work is a little dull, but the worst thing is the total lack of process, unforgivable in this industry. Middle management seen to be scared of senior management. Knowledge is power is the prevailing attitude so don't expect much help. New starters are ignored and left to struggle.. Difficult with the lack of process. I...

Advice to Management

Your middle management layer needs some serious consideration

Nationwide Building Society2017-01-14
  7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

Caring organisation that opens doors for you if you are willing to put the hard work in. I am able to be myself and also feel like I am making a contribution. Benefits are good. Very people orientated.

Cons

Senior management can be a little "them and us". Can be political. Sometimes reactive vs proactive. Minimal negatives vs positives from what I have experienced

Nationwide Building Society2016-11-30
  8. "Mortgage Representative"

Current Employee - Mortgage Representative in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

Employee perks are amazing, fruitful in particular. Teams are all sociable and make you feel welcome. Career progression is doable and you get all the required support.

Cons

Senior management could be more approachable

Advice to Management

None

Nationwide Building Society2016-09-21
  9. "Training could be better for the new people"

Current Employee - Contact Centre Assistant in Sheffield, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The established staff are like family and they would do anything for each other. Lovely touches like birthday clubs,nights out etc help the tedium.

Cons

as the managers get younger and change,the culture gets more like get bums on seats and don't care about the staff.mainly due to the senior managers not people people.

Advice to Management

Grow people skills and balls.look at the new hours and see the established staff leave as the calibre lowers on every intake. Don't dangle carrots then not follow the promises through.

Nationwide Building Society2016-08-19

"A highly unpleasant experience in an unprofessional environment"

Former Employee - Operations Performance Manager in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is very good, with a good benefits package and flexible working hours. The head office has good welfare facilities.

Cons

I worked within Group Commercial Management, which had an extremely unpleasant senior management team who actively bullied those staff not within the 'in crowd'. The department had no strategy, plan or direction, simply blundering from crisis to crisis and the middle management/team members received the blame for senior managers' failings. A toxic management culture of backstabbing...

Advice to Management

Try to learn how a team works and the part you should play within it. Try to develop some positive leadership skills. Create a plan and focus on what needs to be done.

Nationwide Building Society2016-06-12