Nationwide Building Society Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated 19 Dec 2019

3.8
Nationwide Building Society  Chief Executive Joe Garner
Joe Garner
Cons

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work"

5.0
     in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

Caring organisation that opens doors for you if you are willing to put the hard work in. I am able to be myself and also feel like I am making a contribution. Benefits are good. Very people orientated.

Cons

Senior management can be a little "them and us". Can be political. Sometimes reactive vs proactive. Minimal negatives vs positives from what I have experienced

Nationwide Building Society2016-11-30
  2. "Great company; terrible location"

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

- One of, if not, of the best cultures in financial services. - Head office is quite modern although this depends on what community you're in. - Plenty of professional and friendly stakeholders who genuinely care about nationwide and its members. - Good laptops and upto date software packages - fairly flexible although this is largely down to your team's culture. - Very good nationally recognised brand - Some inspirational leadership; however, there are still plenty of old timers scared of change. - Good levels of collaboration and not overly task focused; definitely has a more human element then some commercial banks I've worked for. - relaxed dress code has made the organisation feel a lot less corporate. - slowler pace then working in a city centre environment; definitely a good work/life balance.

Cons

- Truly woeful location for a head office - Salaries very good for the local area but lower then competitors based in Bristol/London - Extremely limited connections to and from Swindon rail station - Limited on site parking after 8am (you can literally see cars abandoned in the middle of the road). - Traffic around Swindon can be horrendous after 4.15pm meaning that it can take well over 30mins to reach the train station or M4 Junction. - No subsided usage of Swindon's public transport for employeees which isn't helping congestion and pollution around Swindon (shuttle buses that nationwide provide are often oversubscribed leaving many people stranded). - Main organisational strategy of recent times is to religiously focus on cutting costs in order to remain profitable (knee-yerk redundanices and restructuring having been arriving in waves throughout the past few years). - Private healthcare has now been withdrawn for new starters (below senior management level). - Not a particularly diverse organisation with middle and executive level overwhelmingly white and middle class. - Some really grotty toliets in Nationwide House.

Nationwide Building Society2019-12-19
  3. "Good company but avoid working in Risk Department, some terrible managers and culture!"

2.0
    Former Employee - Risk Management in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nationwide has good values and is not overly focused on profits

Cons

I worked in Risk department and the particular team I worked in had high turnover due to a toxic environment and culture led by some terrible senior managers. People are undermined and treated with little trust or respect.

Nationwide Building Society2019-11-05
  4. "Shame about the culture"

Former Employee - Audit Senior in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great bonus & flex working

Cons

The culture needs reviewing at senior management level

Nationwide Building Society2019-10-22

"Poor Management and employee neglect"

1.0
    Current Employee - Personal Banking Manager in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

nothing the area that i worked in was full of people resistant to change and some of them have been in the same role for over 30 years and not interested in new ways of doing things.

Cons

They claim they look after their members and their money load of rubbish, the senior managers only look after their pockets.Tell me a company that is quick to offer compensation when its clear that the customer in question is wrong. The staff are highly underpaid and there is a massive gap between what the managers that do nothing earn and the staff that slave for them. one of the most boring and lifeless environment i have ever worked in.

Nationwide Building Society2019-08-26
  6. "CSR"

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

You learn good valuable customer facing skills, like asking the leading open questions, learning to go above and beyond and being positive generally.

Cons

Very poor for progression. I was surpassing norms (outcomes) on a regular basis bit never received the recognition. Passed an interview to be a personal banker but my role change was 'delayed for unknown reasons. Senior management were rude no matter the branch, egotistic and back chatters. There's better banks to work for in terms of pay and progression.

Nationwide Building Society2018-11-06

Nationwide Building Society Response

November 20, 2018Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review, it really helps us as to understanding the parts of the business which are well received but equally, to learn of areas in which we can improve. Progressing talent continues to be a key priority and we're committed to the development of our employees, either within their existing roles or indeed as opportunities present themselves. The role of the leadership team is to have regular conversations to understand individual motivations in relation to their career, and agreeing how we can support them to achieve their aspirations. Best of luck with your next career move and keep in touch.

"Complacency"

in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I worked at Nationwide Building Society for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent resources Sincere consideration of customers/members in every decision they take Some opportunities for ground-breaking innovation

Cons

Executive and Board are sometimes self-serving and out-of-touch. Accountability often doesn’t stretch to the top. Fail to set high or stretching standards for themselves. This building society could be so much more. Limited career opportunity, especially if you don’t drink same kool-ade as senior managers.

Nationwide Building Society2018-08-15

Nationwide Building Society Response

August 31, 2018Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for taking the time to feedback and pleased to hear of some of the positive aspects you experienced in your 5 years with the Society. Our heritage is important to us, as is our mutual values and we work hard to marry these with running a successful business. Good luck for the next stage in your career and keep in touch!

"Could do so much better, positive discrimination is rife! Good looking people in the clique will be well off here!"

2.0
    Current Employee - Transformation Consultant in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good salary, everyday is different, mostly good people to work with with good knowledge. Great benefits. Good facilities and Flexible working.

Cons

Senior management are in some cases Jurassic in their style. Lots of favouritism over ability, progression is based on looks and gender, you'll guess which when you get there!

Nationwide Building Society2018-01-15

"Great organisation with a welcome change"

4.0

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time

Pros

Fantastic ethos and values that make you want to work here. The work can varied and interesting depending on your position. Face to face meetings are the way to work here, hiding behind emails is not. Even though it may appear to be so from the inside, the organisation is not as hierarchical as other large organisations.

Cons

Pay can be below market standards, even in London. The majority of middle/senior management were made up of mainly white middle aged men, but this is now look set to change with a change in CEO. Locations in Swindon and Northampton not the easiest to get to.

Nationwide Building Society2017-09-11

"Good company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Lead Risk Analyst in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

Pros

Management are very mature and good, the framework surrounding analyst management is beneficial to those being managed. New CEO is pushing innovative ideas that are good.

Cons

Senior management tend to try to do too much to the detriment of the work. The vast majority projects run over, costing money and producing worse final outputs. Rework or sacking of unfinished expensive projects is common.

Nationwide Building Society2017-06-27