Natural History Museum (UK) Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sir Michael Dixon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Natural History Museum (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The amazing building aside ( walking past dinosaurs on the way to the office!) the museum is an excellent place to work, with very good support for staff, cutting-edge science, and a strong focus on digital as an enhancement to the collections and exhibitions. Especially a great place for those with tech skills and the Museum enters a very innovative phase.

Cons

The shear size of the building means that many departments are physically separated by quite a long walk through public halls, or hidden in back buildings with one or no connecting corridors - this hasn't aided the move towards better contact and collaboration amongst the groups.

Advice to Management

More ways for staff across the Museum to socialise, but also truly collaborate together on shared initiatives.

2. "WORK"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in London, England
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in London, England

I have been working at Natural History Museum (UK) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great work life balance and holidays

Cons

poor pay - not progressive, job for life

"The worst culture of bullying within management."

Pros

Stunning and historic building. Invaluable collections and surroundings. Some really interesting colleagues who care about their work and want to progress within the institition. Pretty flexible hours (depending on your department).

Cons

Oppressive managers. A number of complaints about certain "notorious" members of staff brushed under the carpet. No support from HR when I tried to raise a serious issue about my manager, who was discriminitive and a bully. I ended up handing in my notice.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, whatever their status within the heirarchy of the institution. Take complaints and concerns seriously and handle with respect and confidentiality.
    When an employee hands in their notice and actively requests an exit interview to discuss their concerns about known bullies, don't just ignore them and let them go quietly. These things need facing.

"Poor and oppressive management and culture in Development and Communications"

I worked at Natural History Museum (UK) full-time

Pros

Wonderful people to work with in department (excluding management) and across museum.

Loved the collections and history of the museum, and the scientific output.

Cons

Management in Development and Communications were oppressive and unsupportive, since new management arrived in 2015.

Long hours expected, and lunch breaks were frowned upon. 'Urgent' requests were sent at all hours throughout the evening/ night and on weekends and holidays. No balance with personal life.

A bullying culture developed and as a result there was a high turnover of staff in 2016.

6. "Other museums treat visitor assistants better"

I worked at Natural History Museum (UK) part-time

Pros

You get to see dinosaurs everyday without queueing.

Cons

All day walking around in a big museum. Not allowed to sit down. Must wear dress shoes (no trainers allowed). If you are lucky enough to get outside duty...you'll lose your voice AND almost die from dehydration in the summer or hypothermia in the winter. Overall it can get really exhausting after the first couple days.

Advice to Management

Some of the managers aren't a very good leader, not approachable, and generally dismissive. The other ones are quite alright. Don't you think some of your team leaders would be much better duty managers?

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Sales in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England

I worked at Natural History Museum (UK) (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is good, and the hours
    Canteen is affordable and the food isn't terrible. So ... yay to that I guess?

Cons

Lack of respect from management/condescending attitude/poor training etc.
    No communication between teams/between management & staff.
    Other teams within the workplace unashamedly and disrespectfully condescend certain other teams.
    At one period our management was firing multiple people without warning and very suddenly, and with no word of what was going on to the team or who was next. It created a terrible atmosphere, and was extremely counter-productive. Absolutely terrible management with no excuse.
    Money-obsessed. Human factor completely removed, it's all about making as much as you can.
    Inconsistent hours. No idea how many days you will work, and the amount week-to-week seems to be random, never based on performance. Similarly, you can be given warnings or even fired for poor performance, even if you've been placed on desks where selling is nigh on impossible. I was slated by a manager for not selling enough when we'd had only one couple pass our desk in that time. That same manager criticised the layout of the promotional items on display and re-organised it by themselves. We didn't move it, and later the manager came back and criticised it again, despite it being left as asked previously. You literally can't win against an outlook that backwards.

So yeah ... shockingly poor, braindead, disrespectful and somewhat dumbfounding management. And the division and apparent dislike between different teams working in the same environment is eye-rollingly stupid.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with some respect. It's not difficult to do. Have some understanding that they want to help and are doing exactly as you ask of them. Understand that some things are out of their control. And most importantly, understand just how unbelievably stupid it is to start firing people without telling anyone what's happening or who's next. It destroys peoples confidence and is entirely counter-productive to your aims for excellent customer service and, more importantly in your eyes, making tons of money. This review will likely be dismissed because of the lower position I held whilst there, but that is the exact problem itself. Get out of your own heads and try cohesion and good work ethics ... it might just help.

"NHM"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Natural History Museum (UK) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work weeks, good team and management and a beautiful place to spend a work day.

Cons

During term times, shifts can be few and far between. You are outside as a rover, so in more extreme temperatures it can be hard work. Also my position is a zero hours contract.

Advice to Management

Make sure to make rovers feel part of a team and not on the periphery.

"Oppressive management culture"

Current Employee - London
    Current Employee - London

I have been working at Natural History Museum (UK) full-time

Pros

Looks nice on your CV. Great peers, a super supportive team in hard times. If only this was reflected through the organisation. Alas...

Cons

There is absolutely no chance for any career progression in this role. Promotions and bonuses are handed out at random, and only in the Science department, not in Public Engagement.
    The building looks nice but many staff areas are neglected.
    Wages have gone up recently but are still 1-5k below London living wage.
    They don't live up to their precious values at all. Managers say they listen, then often do the opposite or nothing at all, seriously antagonising their employees (current destruction of the much-loved wildlife garden being just one example). Some are very childish and bullying.
    The CEO and senior management have zero interest in nature or science.

Advice to Management

Say 'hello' to junior members of staff - it's a small gesture of appreciation, and we recognise your faces.
    Your employee engagement survey questions are phrased in such a way it makes us look happy - we are not.
    At least pretend you are interested in nature, and not just money.

10. "Great people, Great place!"

Current Employee - Applications Support in London, England
    Current Employee - Applications Support in London, England

Pros

I never worked in such a great place, lovely people and great atmosphere making me look forward to going to work everyday. I find that all the managers a very approachable and always available to speak and discuss all your problems/worries as well as advice you on the best steps to take to progress towards your career.

For all this years, I was always provided with the possibility of progression as well as training based on all the supported applications and day to day work.

Cons

The only con I find is that the salaries and benefits could be improved, but that can be the same in all the jobs.

"Great place for a short term job to boost your CV but don't stay as you will not progress"

Former Employee - Curator/Researcher in London, England
    Former Employee - Curator/Researcher in London, England

I worked at Natural History Museum (UK) (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, great building, wonderful collections

Cons

Pressure to earn your keep prevents you from doing your core job. Stressful, low pay, very few chances for promotion, which is dependent on how you 'fit in'. Not very diverse workforce except for those in contracted out jobs who are in even lower paid jobs with very poor employment rights/benefits

Advice to Management

Sort out promotion, evaluate all the changes, pay fair rates, cut the steeply rising top pay to individual contractees (senior managers), cut the consultants & don't compromise your values by taking money from anyone.